Home Metal Detecting

My best Civil War find.

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this in 2001 in Culpeper county VA in a farm field with the owner's permission.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Nice. Is that a belt buckle from that period?

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charlesf20 said:

Yes, It's a confederate tongue and wreath buckle. The CS stands for Confederate States.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:

@charlesf20 said:

Yes, It's a confederate tongue and wreath buckle. The CS stands for Confederate States.

Yeah the CS I kind of figured, the buckle I wasn't sure of. The left side bend from overtightening maybe or gunshot?
    What's the treasure you have underneath that doesn't show in the pic?

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was in a field so could've been hit by a plow at some point or run over by a wagon wheel. The two pieces were found about 30 feet apart. It's just a little flat cuff button. The center bullet is a pretty rare bullet, it's a 70 Cal British Sea Service bullet. I found it at the same site.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins ... Great finds. That buckle is a real treasure. I went on the Boy Scouts National Jamboree in 1957 in Valley Forge, PA. There were several bullets found when we put up our tents (digging a small ditch around them for rain run off). I did hear of some other finds (one buckle, Union)... I was very young, 15, and really did not appreciate the full significance of such things. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

wicked cool find there, congrats

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice buckle for sure. And nice display too. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the above linked video, that is a very valuable MD find. Cheers, RickO

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds. I need to get a detector (I've been saying this for years), as I live a mile from the RR tracks that the troops used to to travel from TN to Shiloh.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• justindanjustindan Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice belt buckle.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buckle is way cool 😎 nice