Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identifying host coins of Brazil 960 Reis

I'm wondering if anyone can help me pin down the host coin here. I can see it's an 8 reales of Charles IV by the leaves visible under the 0 in 960, and directly opposite that I see the last digit of the date, a 6.

On the other side I can see the cross at the tip of the crown between S and I at about 4 o clock. This should help locate the mint mark as it should be near 12 o clock. What I can't tell is whether that is a Potosi mint mark or I am seeing things.

Any thoughts from the community on the mint mark or the rest of the date?

While we are here, please feel free to post any other 960 reis for identification or just to look at :)

Comments

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are such awesome pieces of history and really fun to identify. Sadly I can't help, I can only see the under type as you mentioned. No luck on the mint.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2021 3:23PM

I have one of these coins.

Unfortunately the Brazil coin overstrike is strongest at the top of the OP's coin.

The Spanish coin mintmark would be under the top of the Brazil coin obverse (the globe)
    and the Spanish coin date would at the top upper right of the Brazil coin reverse (the crown and shield)
    about where the "JOAN" is.

The Spanish "IS" of "HISPAN" is at the bottom of the Brazil coin obverse.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

My notes say this was struck on a Potosi 8 reales but that's not clear from my photos

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2021 6:22AM

I believe this is why they used to bring a premium when the Date, MM, and assayers Initials were visible. Not sure if they still do.
    Here is one from Potosi with a clear date 1809 and MM visible from the under type. I think it shows in my pictures. I called this my MS65 struck on an MS65.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck on a Charles IIII Portrait. I cannot decipher the mint or date.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resurrecting this thread as I was searching for 960Rs tonight…

Struck over an 1809 8 Reales

• Options

Here is my patacão.
    Struck on a 1817 Chilean 1 Peso coin.

Fac quod debes, fiat quod fiet