Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Biggest Selling Regrets

Hi All,
Thought this might be an interesting topic for all of us relive those sales from years ago, that at the time were great prices and you were happy with the prices, and now kicking yourself with the boom in the market.
WE ALL HAVE THEM…….
Please share yours.
I will go first.
10 to 12 years ago I sold on eBay a 1955 Koufax PSA 8 for $2200ish. Sorry don’t still have the picture.
Also 1975 Ryan and Brett PSA 9’s $2150 for Ryan and $500 for Brett.
1954 J. Robinson PSA 7.5 for $300 or $400 can’t remember exactly.

Comments

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

I have a buying regret, not a selling regret from about 12 years. I could have bought a raw gem mint 1986 fleer basketball set for $1500.

• Options

Nam812. True. It’s still interesting to see how the market has changed and think what if?

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Sold a 1986-87 Fleer Karl Malone Rookie Card PSA 10 a few years ago for $800. It was from my very 1st submission and the only 10 was Karl.

I was happy to get $800 at the time but looking at recent sold, they are selling over 10k. No regrets though, I try to learn from from them. :)

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pretty much regret selling anything that is worth more now. On the other hand, money buys less these days. So that offsets some of the price gains.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

For me it was 2 cards on ebay. 2000 tom brady autographics for $15 and 52T willie mays for $75. Centered with back damage

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    If you were happy with the price you got at the time of sale that's all that matters.

Very true. My dad always said, “you’ll never go broke making a profit”

That being said…I had 2 2018 Topps Ronald Acuña Jr. bat down cards that I pulled from a case in 2018, sent to PSA at the $8/card bulk and were both PSA 10. Sold one in 2019 for $550 sold the other in January of 2021 for $1550. By June of 2021 they were selling for almost $3,000. That said, with new 10s hitting the market every day, by the time things settle down, I may have sold mine for way more than they bring in a few years. At that point I might buy one back!

But you’ll never go broke making a profit!

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any of these that I bought in an aborted collection return in 2009 before selling in early 2010 deserve mention:
    1980 psa 9 opc Messier
    1978 psa 9 opc Bossy
    (2) 1981 psa 9 opc coffey
    Got paid though :)

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2021 12:51PM

Selling my1200 shares of carvana stock at 30.00 a share.
    Also my 50-50 Centered 1963 PSA 8 rose that I know should have bumped for only 2250.00

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Selling my 86F psa pack with Jordan sticker to board member right when the uptick hit. :(

psa 8, purchased raw from Steve during an 86 box break we did a few years back.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too many to list

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Depends how far you go back. It's hard to regret selling something in 1976 or 1988 for top dollar then.

Look on the bright side, think of how many off center 1985 Donruss Eric Davis rookies you may have sold in 1987 for $20+. Or raw Jose Canseco rookies for $75. Of course, if you were the buyer, maybe not the bright side.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Years back I sold a raw 198 fleet basketball set for $35.00. I only paid $15 for it at a tag sale and I didn’t collect basketball that much at the time so I was happy then.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Regret selling my Jerry Rice PSA 10 rookie. Sold for $3,800 eight years ago... had less than $100 in it so I made out but WOW what they are going for now!! Over $100,000 now!!!

• Options
    parthur1607parthur1607 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

^^^
    Ouch!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

All these cards I sold about 10-12 yrs ago. Needless to say, I wish I had all those cards back.

Clemente rookie BVG 7
    Aaron rookie PSA 6
    fleer Jordan rookie PSA 7
    1939 Ted Williams rookie SGC 7

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2021 9:16AM

I kick myself every day for selling my PSA 7 Alifa Pele for $6,600 about a year and a half before the market correction. It is about a $200,000 card now.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one card I regret selling is my 1934 Goudey Hank Greenberg (PSA 6). It's been a long time so I don't remember the dollar amount I sold it for but goes for a whole lot more now.

Daniel
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Everything prior to 2020

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dont regret any sales from last year so far.
    but I'm sure I will 10 years from now.

• Options

In 2000 selling an unknown 6th round pick(Tom Brady) from the 2000 leaf certified, mirror gold #/35 for $35. He's a sixth round pick! Who cares! 😭
    Not to be out done many years later to then buy one box of 2017 Contenders get the Mahomes and sell it for $265. Paying for the box and making $100.😭
    I'll take those bad decisions to my grave. Lol.

• Options
    DuldejDuldej Posts: 15 ✭✭

I gained ~$400 by sitting on a '64 Koufax psa 8 for a year, buying it for $374, and selling it a year later for $770, but I need a good Koufax in my life and the '56 that I can afford (on a good day) is painted, and the '59 is good but not necessarily better than the '64. So I now wrestle with re-buying a '64 Koufax psa 8 bc the PSA 9 is out of reach. The eye appeal of that '64 Koufax really can't be beat.

Aside from that, I regret selling any high-grade rookie card for a low, going price, out of haste, and just because it's not yet vintage enough. '84 Topps Don Mattingly PSA 9, for $50, for example, or a '82 Fleer Cal Ripken BGS 7 for $16.50.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

If you go to the PSA retired sets of mine you will see all the cards I sold after my wife passed away and lost interest in collecting .Now I can not replace the sets for the price I paid for them.
    After I started to accept my wife’s death 37 years I got the urge to get back to collecting. I will never be able to replace the cards I sold.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

this stuff can make you crazy..........I try not to remember. Did I make a profit from the sale? Was I happy with the price at the time? All that matters

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

2011 Topps Finest Mike Trout Mosaic Refractor #/10

I got a good price (at the time -- paid for the case and then some), but I saw people trying to move them for 6 figures recently.

• Options

...basically all the 2011 Mike Trout cards I sold. I busted a dozen or so cases that year.

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

to many to list; but right before the boom around Nov/Dec 2019; 2 OPC Gretzky rookies, one in a psa 5.5 for approx 300, one psa 6 for approx 400

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

No regerts!

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold this one back before PSA had 1/2 point grades due to getting married, building a house, and stock and card market were about to take big dive due to the sub prime crisis all in the same 6 months. Sold it for a record price at the time, and this image was taken using a copy machine and the paper is wrinkled not the card. Today this card would be IMO a lock 8.5 grade and be worth about $250k+ 🙄

Strong corners and centering and flawless bottom left red corner. Was able to grab a lower graded version a few years ago to replace it, and while it is close it will never be an 8/8.5.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Finally some Trout regrets! Over the years, sold my 4 2011 Update PSA 10's, 2009 BCD Auto PSA 10, Blue/150 PSA 9 for around 4k total. I got the highest prices at the times I decided to sell, but now they'd be worth just a tad more. I've still managed to hang onto these though. I met him way back when he was an 18 year old Michael Trout Baseball America prospect and got them all signed. They have a lot more personal attachment to me, so I think that's why it's easier to stomach selling the others.

Oh, and this little 1/1 I bought locally back in 2011 for $40. I still run into the guy who sold it to me from time to time and we talk about this card all the time. I also self subbed the PSA 10 and nerd out about having a plate that made the 10, something only baseball card people can understand.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regret selling my PSA 8 1956 Topps HOF of fame set last year.

• Options

@72skywalker said:
    No regerts!

No Ragrets, it's kinda like my creedo. -Scotty P

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

I really wish I hadn't unloaded this a few years back after he failed to make the cut for the HOF :(:smile:

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    I kick myself every day for selling my PSA 7 Alifa Pele for $6,600 about a year and a half before the market correction. It is about a $200,000 card now.

That is a tough pill to swallow. Same with the Jerry Rice example above. Did you buy anything else with the proceeds?

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

Used the money for the Rice PSA 10 to fund a family vacation.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

LOL may times I have way more regrets in cards I've bought rather than sold. I often ask myself what am I doing spending all this money on pieces of cardboard?

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@miwlvrn said:

That is a tough pill to swallow. Same with the Jerry Rice example above. Did you buy anything else with the proceeds?

Had some bills that needed to be paid that seem very minor in hindsight. Would have been nice to wait just a little bit longer and pay off the house instead! ;)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL for $1,000.00 in the mid 1980's.

Texas car, no rust. HATED selling it, NOT happy with what I got. Never want to be that broke again.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold most of my comics for practically nothing around the year 2000. Almost all the keys of the late 80s-early 90s. Worth thousands today.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I think I sold this Mantle rookie for $2750 in cash plus $1500 in cards a few years ago. I may have sold it to someone on this board. Just can't remember, but I wish I had it back.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made out real well when I sold but wish I would have kept my Quad 9.5 Version of this card.

Oh well, if "ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas"....

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Selling my entire graded collection 14 sets in all plus all my other sets . Starting with 1948 Bowman to 1980 Topps except 52 Topps and 48 leaf.Plus misc sets.Sold in 2012 .I made bad decsions after my wife passed away.Lost interest in every thing for quite a while.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)