Home Metal Detecting

Paul Revere family artifacts were found in the walls of a Canton, Massachusetts home.

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul Revere family artifacts were found in the walls of a Canton home. They’re being auctioned off this weekend.
A recent home renovation in Canton unearthed several objects that belonged to the family of Paul Revere, and a local auction house is selling them to the highest bidder.
John McInnis Auctioneers in Amesbury has its hands on a rare trade sign painted black with gold leaf that reads “Joseph W. Revere” — the son of Paul Revere. The sign was found in the attic wall of a Canton home believed to have been owned by the Revere family along with wrought iron calipers, a turned wooden handle, a silk and leather sewing valet, a key, and letters and an account book belonging to Paul Revere’s grandchildren and daughter-in-law, according to the auction house.

The items will be sold as a single lot in a two-day auction. Bidding begins on Friday, and the items will be auctioned off on Saturday, according to auction house owner John McInnis.

“We get things like this all the time, but the trade sign is really a fabulous find,” McInnis said. The sign can likely be traced back to the casing company the Revere family owned and operated in Canton, according to the auction house. McInnes said bidding on the items could run well into the thousands this weekend.

“It could go for $4,000, $5,000, $20,000 — you never know,” McInnes said, adding that in an auction last year, a silver creamer made by Paul Revere sold for $18,000. The auction website lists the estimated lot price between $1,000 and $2,000.

The Revere family’s influence on the town of Canton dates back to 1776 when Paul Revere supervised the construction of a gun powder mill on what is now the Paul Revere Heritage Site, according to the Paul Revere Museum website. In 1801, Paul Revere bought the land, moved there, and opened the Revere Copper Company.

He lived in Canton until his death in 1818. Between 1845 and 1855, Paul Revere’s son, Joseph Warren Revere, built the two remaining structures from the original Revere Copper Co.: the brick Copper Rolling Mill and the wood historic barn.

Live bidding for the auction began Friday, Dec. 10, at 10 a.m.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting read Boston

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great find... I have so often thought about what might be in the walls of old houses around here. We have homes/buildings from the mid 1600's on.... So much history in the area. I know there are treasures to be found... Good luck to those who will seek them... Cheers, RickO

• SandWSandW Posts: 23 ✭✭

Neat stuff... but why in hell would someone want to lay anything on top of that sign if it's the real deal?
    ...sorry to gripe, but that type of carelessness is a pet peeve of mine.

@SandW ... I agree, preservation should be a prime concern with such artifacts. Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above items sold for $20,000.00 this past weekend :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@1630Boston .... Thanks for the update.... Somehow, I thought they would sell for more... Cheers, RickO