Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 12 (1890-O - 1891-O)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2021 11:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The coins in this next group are all pretty easy to find nice but moderately difficult in 64 and up, especially PL or toned (and they are priced accordingly). I found most of them fairly early in my pursuit of the complete collection. Unfortunately there’s another hole here as I don’t yet have a 91-CC.

The 1890-O is the probably the second easiest to find among all O mints between 1886 and 1897 (after the 88-O). I bought this one maybe 12 years ago (as a 63) but upgraded it a few years ago.

1890-O MS64DMPL

The 1890-S, like most S mint coins from this time period, can be pricey but when you do find them they were well made with good luster. This is probably the easiest year (except perhaps 1921 below gem) after 1882 when they went from being uber-common to quite difficult. This one has has nice mirrors and a hint of subtle toning.

1890-S MS64PL CAC

1891 Morgans are actually quite easy to locate in lower MS but become very hard in gem or with mirrors. I know of one other nicely toned coin. This isn’t a rainbow but it is semi-PL on the obverse and the reverse is fully PL. It creates an awesome look combined with the bold orange color. Even though there’s a huge value gap between 64 and 65, the price for 64+ coins has fallen a lot since I bought it and they now trade for the same money as regular 64s.

1891 MS64+

91-O Morgans are known for being weakly struck although like most O mints they have good, satiny luster. They are very hard to find with good color. My coin isn’t a rainbow but it is a pretty two-sided toner and I can’t say I’ve seen any better ones in person. Even on CoinFacts there is only 1 that catches my eye. The fingerprint on the reverse doesn’t bother me at all as it fits in nicely with the toning pattern.

1891-O MS64

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im going to need a bigger Christmas stocking this year so you can fit all these nice Morgans in it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... I really like the 1890 O.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous set!
    Thanks for sharing.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 90-O DMPL and red/magenta toning on the 91 are awesome. Most anticipated posts.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the post! that 91P just sort of glows

• Options
    edited December 11, 2021 4:45PM

@kaz said:
    thanks for the post! that 91P just sort of glows

Thanks all! Yeah, the 91 is really hard to photograph. I have a video of it in which you can see that the reverse is PL.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    edited August 15, 2022 4:11PM

Update!

I recently acquired a 91-CC as one of two coins to complete my collection. The 91-CC is readily available but surprisingly difficult to find better than 64. Mirrored coins often have haze and are typically worse than the 90-CC. Contrast is nowhere close to those from 1878-1885. I probably considered several hundred examples over the past couple of years before finding this one. It doesn’t have the deepest mirrors (which is probably why it didn’t sticker) but they are better than most I’ve seen and it is hammered with outstanding luster.

1891-CC MS64DMPL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file