Home Precious Metals
Options

Pallets of silver coins seized in international fraud case tied to South Dakota

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.keloland.com/news/investigates/pallets-of-silver-coins-seized-in-international-fraud-case-tied-to-south-dakota/

"The defendants purchased $2.8 million in silver coins, which were discovered on pallets inside this home in Norway. The jury voted that all of the coins and the home would be forfeited for restitution to victims in the scheme."

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... Major money fraud..... Great investigative work and two are caught/sentenced. The other two are on the run, but I am sure the authorities are on the trail. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like each level is 3 boxes wide by 6 high, or 18 boxes, and I think I count it 8 boxes tall, or 144 boxes originally, or 72,000 silver eagles.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Looks like each level is 3 boxes wide by 6 high, or 18 boxes, and I think I count it 8 boxes tall, or 144 boxes originally, or 72,000 silver eagles.

Less three on top.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold would have been a little easier. Just sayn' ;)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when you thought you had heard it all...smh One of the defendants is a former Arizona detective. Probably well versed in how to scam folks and saw an opportunity to make some easy money. The article said even after recovering the coins and selling the house used to store them the restitution is going to be cents on the dollar.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

I donated to one of those fake charities once. Name was real close to Make a Wish but slightly different. For years after that I would get letters in the mail asking for money from fake places like an orphanage in El Salvador run by nuns. Had to move and not leave a forwarding address to make it stop.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crito_is_baaack said:
    I donated to one of those fake charities once. Name was real close to Make a Wish but slightly different. For years after that I would get letters in the mail asking for money from fake places like an orphanage in El Salvador run by nuns. Had to move and not leave a forwarding address to make it stop.

These fake charities add your name to a "sucker list" which they sell to other fake charities. My sister made a couple donations once and within a few months she was getting dozens of solicitations every week.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

And now, just as annoying, is the text messages.... getting around thirty a day, and have not figured out how to block those.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link to the story @carew4me

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    And now, just as annoying, is the text messages.... getting around thirty a day, and have not figured out how to block those.... Cheers, RickO

Option 2. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude ... I have considered that.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So why was this load shipped to Norway? Were they gonna melt it all into ingots? Or was it destined for an offshore bank? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never mind, I read the indictments. Confucius say the love of money is the root of all evil. Do you think we'll see these ASEs on the bst? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Confucius say the love of money is the root of all evil.

It's actually a verse from the Bible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

....the pursuit of money....

Have a nice day