Home Metal Detecting
Options

New detector... Looking for

I'm looking for a new detector but I thought I'd see if someone had an extra used one they would be willing to part with. Been using a whites coinmaster the last couple years and a whites prizm II before that. Anyone here have a multi frequency available or haven't thought about in a while. Been looking at the simplex and equinox 600 but don't want to pull the trigger yet if I can find something reasonably priced here.

Gene

Comments

• Options
    SandWSandW Posts: 23 ✭✭

'Barely used' detectors are common on eBay because people give up too soon.
    Personally, I would buy any electronic item new...but that's just me.
    And beware of Chinese knockoffs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My recommendation would be to spend the money on a new detector, and get the warranty that goes with it. Plus, the company is more receptive to calls for help when you purchase the product from them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gene2393 best case scenario is finding a used detector that you can power up and know it works properly, lest you're throwing money away. Used the Google to search for a local detector dealer. Many dealers are product reps working out of their home. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

I've decided I'm going to buy one of the simplex machines as it's affordable and looking through here and groups on Facebook many are pretty successful with it, hopefully I am when I get it :). Just waiting for taxes to come back to get it lol

• Options

@gene2393 ... Good luck with your new detector (when you get it), and be sure to let us know your experience with getting to know the machine and your first hunts with it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I will hopefully going to order herein the next couple of weeks. So I can start this year with it

@ricko said:
    @gene2393 ... Good luck with your new detector (when you get it), and be sure to let us know your experience with getting to know the machine and your first hunts with it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

I think you would have more success with a Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540 than the Simplex for about the same money. You are familiar with the advantage of simultaneous multifrequency and these are the only detectors in their price range that have it.

• Options

I just ordered a vanquish 540, should be here next week. Can't wait to try it lol

• Options

That's exciting. Have you the necessary accoutrements? Knee pads, trowel, proper shovel, belt, pouch, perhaps a pin pointer? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    That's exciting. Have you the necessary accoutrements? Knee pads, trowel, proper shovel, belt, pouch, perhaps a pin pointer? Good luck. Peace Roy

Yes I have a trowel and pin pointer. The new set up I ordered also comes with a pin pointer, two coils. Attached is what I ordered.

• Options

Excellent, I hope you get some great permissions. Always enjoy what everyone is digging up. Good luck. Peace Roy

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Excellent, I hope you get some great permissions. Always enjoy what everyone is digging up. Good luck. Peace Roy

Thanks and I hope so to.

• Options

That is a great set of equipment. You will be happy with that. You should also get knee pads, a pouch and a good digging tool. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is a great set of equipment. You will be happy with that. You should also get knee pads, a pouch and a good digging tool. Cheers, RickO

I've got a good digging tool but no pouch or knee pads probably going to get a pouch here soon

• Options

@gene2393 .... Your knees will thank you if you get pads... Or if you don't... they will scream at you after a day with a lot of digging... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Also don't forget about tick and bug repellent, sunscreen, extra batteries, favorite beverage.

• Options

Just looked at the tracking number and I should have the new detector tomorrow evening 😀 lol

• Options

Just in time for the weekend. Let us know how your first hunts turn out...and how you like the new MD. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2022 12:18PM

Relative bought this recently and now has changed his mind. Is this going to be good enough or should I hang on? We can work a trade which is even better. Opinions please. I will be new to this so I don’t want to waste $. Thanks 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭

That Bounty Hunter is not much more than a toy, and $350 is crazy money for a Bounty Hunter, You can get a Minelab Vanquish 540 for less and have ten times more capability.

• Options

Tried the new 540 today not many finds only out for a few minutes. 7 cents ( 2 pennies 1 nickel) and some trash but it's a start

• Options

We all began like that.... Good luck with your new equipment and hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    We all began like that.... Good luck with your new equipment and hobby. Cheers, RickO

Yeah I know just have to wait for better weather again before I go out again it'll take some getting used to with the new machine