Home Q & A Forum
Options

PCGS Restoration

PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Last week I read a rather long thread started by cladking and the demise of modern coin sets. This got me to actually open many of my recently acquired sets and look for myself. The results are mixed so far but one has me particularly concerned. It's an Olympic Rowing Coin. This coin is sealed in a 1996 Prestige set and getting funky in an unattractive way. It seems to have a high value ceiling so I'm considering restoration. Can I send the entire set in and what happens to the other coins? Can these things be easily broken into? Is it a "just send it" and await the results like a tumor biopsy? Any and all advice appreciated.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

NVM. I now see the difference in value between a 70 and 69. Jokes on me. Another lesson learned.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would let it be.
    The cost for a slabbed coin in a high grade would be cheaper than the cost to have it restored.
    Many here might be able to tell you how to restore it maybe with Acetone.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    I would let it be.
    The cost for a slabbed coin in a high grade would be cheaper than the cost to have it restored.
    Many here might be able to tell you how to restore it maybe with Acetone.
    Wayne

OK but that leads me to another thing that makes me go hmmmm
    Rule 1: Don't clean coins. OK, I get it. I've been dinged already for rubbing my 27-S Peace with my cotton gloves...but....
    I have coins, like Ikes, Kennedys, Anthonys and Franklins plus many pre 64 Quarters/dimes/Nickels that are in good condition but smudged or are lightly soiled. I'm ready to order e-z-est and some tongs but keep seeing references to acetone. Dip sparingly, rinse, rinse w/demin water, pat dry. I then want to put the nicer ones in capsules for future generations. I 've used acetone for other projects and it's pretty harsh stuff.
    Describing my goal and method, which chemical is best? Does one or the other stand a better chance of escaping the graders eye IF they are sent in?

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone is about as far as you want to go.

If you have some damaged coins you can test ezest

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d rinse with fresh acetone or 92% alcohol

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to use a pencil eraser back in grammar school.
    Makes those Lincolns shine but damages the coin.
    Since then, I have never cleaned a coin with anything including acetone.
    If you are trying to slide a cleaned coin by a TPG, don't bother.
    Acetone removes organic gunk off a coin but does nothing to hide damage.
    It is your money so spend it as you like.
    I personally spend mine on an already graded and slabbed coin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I personally spend mine on an already graded and slabbed coin.

I find myself leaning this way also. I'm distracted by gunk on a coin when I'm trying to evaluate it. So nothing gets by a grader....good to know.

USAF veteran 1984-2005