Home Metal Detecting
Options

End of this season, so here's what I've found

I started detecting in May, and just feel like showing my best so far. All in Maine. My top 4, I guess :)
Late 1830s large cent:

1917 D - My first ever silver in my lawn this week (digging with covid)

1933 Richard Arlen popsicle token

My one and only hoe B)

Evan Saltis in the real world.
University of Maine
Politics, food, numismatics, and Lithuanian/Slav genealogy.
Feel free to contact me at any time!

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice scores. I always liked it when a merc pops out

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds... Silver is always a great find... and Mercs are special silver. Nice old cent too... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EBSnumismatics Nice finds so far. May I suggest you soak that large cent in mineral oil for the winter. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

Much better than a Roosevelt. Interesting that it is 1917 D, a less common, early date and Denver mint, all the way in Maine.

@Namvet69 said:
    @EBSnumismatics Nice finds so far. May I suggest you soak that large cent in mineral oil for the winter. Peace Roy

For sure! I actually found that person via Facebook, they had a children's detector they were using in the lawn and wanted my 'real-deal' help. I let them keep it, although I was the one to pull it up. I wasn't going to get rich off of it, so I was delighted to let the family keep it. They let me keep some foreigns they had laying around and silver was in that pile, so I came out on top that day.

Thanks for your comment!

University of Maine

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EBSnumismatics said:

@johnny9434 said:

Much better than a Roosevelt. Interesting that it is 1917 D, a less common, early date and Denver mint, all the way in Maine.

@Namvet69 said:

For sure! I actually found that person via Facebook, they had a children's detector they were using in the lawn and wanted my 'real-deal' help. I let them keep it, although I was the one to pull it up. I wasn't going to get rich off of it, so I was delighted to let the family keep it. They let me keep some foreigns they had laying around and silver was in that pile, so I came out on top that day.

Thanks for your comment!

Even better up your way for sure

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    Great finds :)

Thanks 1630. Would love to try somewhere in MA or CT, NJ so I can find a colonial copper for my personal collection :)

University of Maine

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

17D Merc. So close to “The big one”.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dockwalliper.... Keep searching that site... maybe one year deeper... ;):D Good luck... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Dockwalliper said:
    17D Merc. So close to “The big one”.

Yep! My first ever silver was a 1917 D... strange since I live in Maine!!
    Great find for my own backyard. less than 10 mil. minted, so as far as I'm concerned this is a good catch.

University of Maine

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Dockwalliper.... Keep searching that site... maybe one year deeper... ;):D Good luck... Cheers, RickO

Haha, yes! It's my own lawn so no permission needed (besides my parents I suppose.)

University of Maine

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Merry Christmas Evan, May global warming afford you the opportunity to get out there after the new year. I've got my sunny locales picked out already. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you found some real fantastic items. That 1917 D Mercury dime is a very interesting fine. I might have a hard time finding one of those and I coin shop let alone with a metal detector. Nice hunting good luck in the future. :#

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out @westtndigger on Instagram. Or Google sid witherington Germantown TN. He's found some incredible stuff metal detecting. I'm related so I had to spread the word. He's got a hundred civil war belt buckles.