Home U.S. Coin Forum

Knit picking or not

I was on the "bay" and most all of their error coins are, spitting horses, pooping horses or buffalos, snow on roofs, extra rock in mountains, or tree. Are these really errors or are we down to knit picking BS. I haven't collected coins since 1982, so I thought I would get back into it. (Too much time on hands). I have "cud" coins and coins where the backs are rotated left or right, double die's and so on. Are these even error coin, and finally most of my coins have been in 2 x 2 holders since I was 10-12 years old, should I change them, I am 65... Thanks, Michael

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 11:54AM Answer ✓

Nit picking, no k - which is nit picking

Those minor die chips and die cracks don’t rise to the level of a collectible cud

Die rotation and doubled die and cuds are thankfully real errors.

As far as 2x2, they are fine until you get to the point where authenticity and grade affect the value to the point where it is financially sound to pay for holdering.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people on eBay are hyping these tiny problems hoping to find a sucker who thinks they are worth it. The hobby as a whole understands these are minor things with little too no premium.

Answers

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are minor die chips or light die clashes (spitting eagle). Errors/varieties = yes. Worth anything = not really.

You can find lots of minor die chips on the ATB quarters. Nothing wrong with saving them if you like them, just don't spend hard earned money on them, IMO

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice first post. Welcome back, and welcome to the forums...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

... and if you haven't collected anything more recent than 1982, you haven't missed very much. 😉

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 3:45PM

Over the past few years (especially the last two) other people found themselves also with too much time on their hands and turned to youtube and found all the get rich quick from pocket change videos. This has led to a ton of these minor quality control type issues being found and hyped as errors.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the only people who are interested in it are the cherry-pickers it probably isn't worth bothering with. The cherry-pickers cherry-pick, they don't pay premiums.

If you need high magnification it isn't important.

If you have to wonder about it, it isn't important.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My basic rule of thumb for error coins is ...

If the thumbnail images looks good then you are golden ;)

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 11:30PM

Hi and Welcome.
    Sure, what you state might be trivial compared to the old school errors/varieties. Oh yes, most of what you describe as"error" coins, are actually varieties. Here's the thing. "If it sells, it's going to be collected!". My gosh, did you see that "cricket" in a PCGS holder? :D
    I for one, do "nit pick" for these modern little gems. Some are very interesting. Also, there's money to be made. Why not, right? :)
    Welcome to the forum.
    Here is one of my picks. (Error coin) I found while coin roll hunting. Then sent in to PCGS.

2021s Airmen Tuskegee "Strike Through" @ 2:00 rev.

MS 67

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

More nit picking....none of the anomalies mentioned in the OP are errors - they are varieties. ;):D

But fair questions. You are not alone.

@JBK said:
    More nit picking....none of the anomalies mentioned in the OP are errors - they are varieties. ;):D

>
    Yeah, varieties if due to die condition.

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@michael1956 said:

I was on the "bay" and most all of their error coins are, spitting horses, pooping horses or buffalos, snow on roofs, extra rock in mountains, or tree. Are these even error coin, and finally most of my coins have been in 2 x 2 holders since I was 10-12 years old, should I change them, I am 65... Thanks, Michael

Never ceases to amaze what catches on. Pet Rock was a thing in '75, so pooping animals and extra trees are collectible to some.
    You might have something there Michael. Welcome back, people here are typically great and willing to share their expertise

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could post some pictures of what you have, it would help.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@michael1956.... Welcome aboard... and welcome back to coin collecting. Many of the minor issues you describe are interesting anomalies, but no real numismatic premium. That being said, true doubled dies and extreme rotated dies will command premiums (Great example is the '55 DDO cent).... This is a great forum with noted experts, willing to freely share knowledge and help people. Have fun... Cheers, RickO

• I thank everyone for their answers to my questions but will a 2 x 2-coin holder go bad, as I have a few with fuzee in them. That being said I have over 600 coins from Indian pennies. Lincoln penny's, buffalo nickels, all the dimes, in 2x2 holders. My Morgans and Peace, and American eagles, along with my world silver coins are in nice plastic hard holders. So, one does not want to break the bank buying new holders. Could I just buy new 2 x 2? --Thanks, again---Michael

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

if fuzee is lint or cardboard pieces, just put them in a new 2x2

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Thanks, Michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file