Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Progress goes from "Grading" to "QA"?

C2CC2C Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2021 5:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone have any experience with this? I sent in two coins to PCGS with their expedited service. One was a reconsideration and the other was a NGC cross. About Tuesday of this week, the cross over went straight from "grading" on the progress meter, to "QA". Meaning that it seems to have entirely bypassed "encapsulation" on the meter.

My reconsideration which came in a the same time sat at "grading" until today, at which time it also went from "grading to qa" bypassing encapsulation. Odd thing on this one is that my "current" PCGS certification number has become "invalid" in their verification search online. In the past it pulled up my coin and a photo of it.

My obvious though is that PCGS rejected the cross and possibly the reconsideration? Has anyone ever had a coin do this and cross or upgrade? Odd that the old certification number is invalid now? These were Carson City Morgan Dollars.

**I'm not at all disappointed if the NGC coin remains as is, given its year, grade, and mint mark. I just prefer PCGS holders. The reconsideration is a big deal to me though. It's just not a MS65... I didn't edit the photo at all aside from cropping out the Cert number and barcode.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had it bounce back & forth between stages before. Just ignore it and don't get your hopes up.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2021 5:49PM

My expectations are very low on the Crossover, despite it being a very nice coin at grade from NGC. It's the reconsideration that I'm nervous about. I just don't know why they would nuke the cert number and not upgrade the coin. My hopes are not up, I'm just hoping they are not dashed.

The coin in for reconsideration is a MS65, but it blows away every MS66 I've looked at, including another in the same year and mint mark I own. Not even close. The strike is much better and exceptionally strong overall. Additionally, there is nearly no chatter, no toning, and a very smooth face. the MS65 doesn't make sense.

When I put it up against MS65's, they aren't in the same class. I've not even seen one close to it aside for 2 in MS66... I have several dealers look at it to make sure I wasn't either off or missing something, and every dealer said undergrade. I'll try and put a photo up of it. Ultimately it doesn't matter if PCGS does refuse to put it in a MS66 holder... I don't like the politics of the "grading game" especially with a coin this nice.

• Options

Anyone with any "reconsideration experience who has seen their coin go from grading to QA? and still have it upgrade? Did they delete your cert number and still not upgrade the coin?

-The reconsideration option leaves the coin in its holder unless it's expected to upgrade. That's why I took the deleting of the old certification number as a good sign, but the offset as a bad sign to me is that they moved it from "grading" straight to QA instead of "encapsulation" or "Imaging"...

Anyone have experience here?

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@C2C said:
    Anyone with any "reconsideration experience who has seen their coin go from grading to QA? and still have it upgrade? Did they delete your cert number and still not upgrade the coin?

-The reconsideration option leaves the coin in its holder unless it's expected to upgrade. That's why I took the deleting of the old certification number as a good sign, but the offset as a bad sign to me is that they moved it from "grading" straight to QA instead of "encapsulation" or "Imaging"...

Anyone have experience here?

Maybe try for a gold sticker at CAC? This will confirm wether your coin is a solid 66 as you are telling us it blew away 65’s

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure, based on what you stated, it would appear that the first cross didn't cross, but removal of the old cert number may indicate a possible reconsider.
    I do know that a customer of mine sent in 10 coins to conservation at NGC, and while they were there, the cert numbers went invalid, only to be re databased upon completion in same serial number.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your reconsideration.... Let us know how it turns out.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve sent in coins for Reconsideration, and:
    1. It often goes straight from “Grading” to “QA”. That does NOT mean you didn’t have success, so don’t be disheartened.
    2. With Reconsideration, they almost always TEMPORARILY remove the cert number from their records, only to restore that Cert number a day or so after they reveal the grade. Again, that means NOTHING either way.

Good luck!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2021 4:12AM

Thanks everyone. I'm still hoping for some good news on the reconsideration. CAC is the coins next stop regardless. I'm just hoping it clears the MS66... I had that thought on the cert number being restored as same as before, but I won't know till they post. I put a photo of the coin up. Anyone have any thoughts? I know photos and coin in hand are two different things, I'm mostly looking to understand the MS65 grade...

I'll update when the verdict is handed down.

• Options

For anyone in the future who comes across this situation, PCGS neglected to cross my 1892-CC MS64+ and they were "undetermined" on the upgrade of my 1878-CC, so they sent it back same as it was with a big "+" on the label seemingly indicating the consensus is a plus grade. Very disappointing and costly. Would not recommend to others.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 5:33AM

While this is undoubtedly VERY disappointing, in my opinion it’s too small a sample size to make that blanket recommendation.

1. Their current posted 30 day crossover success rate from NGC to PCGS is only 54%. I have no personal experience with crossover attempts!

2. I do have extensive experience with Reconsideration (which keeps the same cert number, so if the coin submitted has a CAC, and is upgraded with a Plus and retains its same whole grade number, then for just a few dollars CAC will then automatically reapply their sticker). Keep in mind that:
      A. While the 30 day current overall rate of coins getting pluses is less than 1%, that number of submissions includes ALL moderns and other coins ineligible for a plus due to being graded 69 or 70.
      B. Making a ROUGH wild guess of coins graded that are indeed eligible for a plus, my guess is then maybe without all the coins getting 69’s or 70’s, the rate is somewhere around 5% or so.
      C. Working with that number, or a number somewhere near that, working against you is the fact that the consensus of graders have already previously determined at the time of original grading that your coin specifically did NOT merit the next whole grade number, and not even a + (unless the original grading was done prior to PCGS’s use of plus grades).
      D. Did your current submission form indicate that you only wanted Reconsideration for Whole grade numbers, or did you check the box on the right side of that area of the form that says “ANY”?
      E. My experience is using the “ANY” option, and virtually all of my successes have been getting a plus grade. Super tough, but not impossible, to get the next whole grade number. My personal success rate in getting pluses is higher than the 5% figure mentioned above, but I’m selective in the coins I send in. Of the coins I send in, there’s generally a decent pricing differential in getting a plus.
      F. I believe that coins without CAC’s may have a better shot at upgrades using Regrade instead of Reconsideration, since the graders don’t know the original grade. Only after they assign a new grade does someone check to make sure the coin was not downgraded. It WILL get a new cert number.

Regardless of the above, your disappointment is fully understood!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file