Home Sports Talk

Its Championship weekend in college football

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Conference championship games this week. How many upsets will there be? Its been that kind of a year. Chances are there will be no Ohio State, Clemson, or Alabama making the playoffs....unless bama can knock off #1 ranked Georgia in Atlanta this Saturday. Having 3 or 4 different teams in the playoffs are good for the sport in my opinion....Instead of the same teams every year.
Pac 12 Oregon vs Utah(friday night)
ACC Pittsburgh vs Wake Forest(talk about unusual)
SEC Alabama vs Georgia
Big 12 Oklahoma State vs Baylor
Big 10 Iowa vs Michigan
American-- Houston vs Cincinnati(played at Cincinnati

Predictions? Discuss and enjoy the games.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's too bad about Clemson, tough break this year Dabo.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, to keep this rock-solid thread rolling - > @coolstanley said:

Conference championship games this week. How many upsets will there be? Its been that kind of a year. Chances are there will be no Ohio State, Clemson, or Alabama making the playoffs....unless bama can knock off #1 ranked Georgia in Atlanta this Saturday. Having 3 or 4 different teams in the playoffs are good for the sport in my opinion....Instead of the same teams every year.
    Pac 12 Oregon vs Utah(friday night)
    ACC Pittsburgh vs Wake Forest(talk about unusual)
    SEC Alabama vs Georgia
    Big 12 Oklahoma State vs Baylor
    Big 10 Iowa vs Michigan
    American-- Houston vs Cincinnati(played at Cincinnati

Predictions? Discuss and enjoy the games.

Ok, to keep this rock-solid and relevant thread rolling (not to be taken literally), I put 400 on Baylor covering and the over. Parlay. EFF It. I'm an OU fan!!!!!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope Georgia wins. It would be a kick in the shins to get knocked down by Alabama after the season Georgia has had.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

400 on Baylor with a win turns into how much monetary excitement?

I really wanted that come back to succeed.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I hope Georgia wins. It would be a kick in the shins to get knocked down by Alabama after the season Georgia has had.

Saban as a underdog is very dangerous. If Georgia loses, they dont deserve to be in the playoffs. Who have they beat?

Ignore list -Basebal21

I knew this would be a dangerous game for Georgia, you can never underestimate a Nick Saban team, Alabama came fired up and ready to play today.

It’s probably not going to happen, but I’d like to see overtime

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

It looks like Cincinnati is headed to the playoff, they just beat Houston 35-20.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Georgia stops the downward spiral at #4? I don't know if the Gods will move ND into National Champ playoff picture. BUT, still have Michigan to go tonight.................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Congrats Cincinnati Bearcats. The only undefeated team in college football. Playoff bound!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia is in.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Georgia is in.

If Michigan wins, do Alabama and Georgia just trade spots?

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya think Alabama is back to #1

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michigan
    Alabama
    Cincy
    Georgia

Or

Alabama
    Michigan
    Georgia
    Cincy

But it will be one of those two

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I would have them 1. Michigan, 2. Alabama, 3. Georgia, 4. Cincinnati. However I don't believe they will allow Alabama and Georgia to play each other in the semi finals.

Ralph

@Brick said:
    I would have them 1. Michigan, 2. Alabama, 3. Georgia, 4. Cincinnati. However I don't believe they will allow Alabama and Georgia to play each other in the semi finals.

Me too and you're right

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

Me too and you're right

Congratulations on your win! ;)

@MsMorrisine said:

@Justacommeman said:

Me too and you're right

Congratulations on your win! ;)

Baylor deserves the 4th playoff spot. Conference champs and they have THREE top 15 wins.

Playoffs should be

1. Cincy
    2. Michigan
    3. Bama
    4. Baylor

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited December 5, 2021 2:29AM

You conveniently left off the part that Baylor lost two games and one was a terrible loss. No team has every made the playoffs with 2 loses and it certainly won't be this year. They should get to #6 with ND at #5.

m

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 5:57AM

Last week,
    1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. Bama
    4. Cincy

This week move Georgia to 4th, move the others up a spot.
    1. Michigan
    2. Bama
    3. Cincy
    4. Georgia

I wonder if the committee will avoid a Bama vs Georgia rematch in the semifinals?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 6:33AM

Man that Ga game was rough. Playing Bama always has me sketchy and my gut was right yesterday. Glad I didn't splurge on the company suite tix to go.

But, if that is the only loss and we win 2....well I'll take that.

Blue looked good yesterday.

@Justacommeman said:
    You conveniently left off the part that Baylor lost two games and one was a terrible loss. No team has every made the playoffs with 2 loses and it certainly won't be this year. They should get to #6 with ND at #5.

m

nonsense. You going to tell me that a two loss sec champion wouldn't get in????

Ignore list -Basebal21

Want more proof that the rankings are anti BIG? Michigan was unranked in the pre season polls. :D

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Try to wrap your head around this. No two loss team has ever gotten in. Period. Ever.

m

edited December 6, 2021 12:22AM

@coolstanley said:
    Want more proof that the rankings are anti BIG? Michigan was unranked in the pre season polls. :D

The only thing it proves is that you're a conspiracy theorist. Zero to do with being anti Big Ten. The Big Ten had plenty of Top 25 teams in the pre season polls including Indiana who finished the season 2-10.

Actually we didn't think we were Top 25 material either. We were 2-4 the year before.

That's why they play the games.

m

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2021 11:35PM

Seems more than a little suspicious to have Alabama leapfrog a Michigan team that beat #13 by 39 - the week after beating #2 by 15. Yes, Alabama beat paper tiger Georgia by 17 but they needed a miracle to score more than 3 the previous week against Auburn. The CFP rankings are supposed to reflect the entire season but it's obvious they don't. It's also obvious that the committee went in with a preconceived plan to not have a Georgia/Alabama rematch in the semis and created rankings to avoid that. If they truly wanted Alabama #1 then Georgia should've been #4. 1-loss non-champion with no high quality wins should be behind undefeated champion with a high-quality win (Notre Dame).

edited December 5, 2021 11:51PM

@Tabe said:
    Seems more than a little suspicious to have Alabama leapfrog a Michigan team that beat #13 by 39 - the week after beating #2 by 15. Yes, Alabama beat paper tiger Georgia by 17 but they needed a miracle to score more than 3 the previous week against Auburn. The CFP rankings are supposed to reflect the entire season but it's obvious they don't. It's also obvious that the committee went in with a preconceived plan to not have a Georgia/Alabama rematch in the semis and created rankings to avoid that. If they truly wanted Alabama #1 then Georgia should've been #4. 1-loss non-champion with no high quality wins should be behind undefeated champion with a high-quality win (Notre Dame).

At the end of the day it really didn't matter. It was always going to be Alabama vs Cincy and Michigan vs Georgia after the games were played yesterday.

The only wat it was going to go down was:

Michigan
    Alabama
    Cincy
    Georgia

Or

Alabama
    Michigan
    Georgia
    Cincy

They went with the later.

One advantage to being #1 is you get input on which game/venue Cotton or Orange you want to open at. But trust me as a Michigan Alum the Orange Bowl is just fine.

mark

@Justacommeman said:
    At the end of the day it really didn't matter. It was always going to be Alabama vs Cincy and Michigan vs Georgia after the games were played yesterday.

Of course it didn't matter. The committee had matchups in mind and picked rankings to match.

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Try to wrap your head around this. No two loss team has ever gotten in. Period. Ever.

m

Nice job dodging my question.

Ignore list -Basebal21

edited December 6, 2021 5:00AM

"Alabama beat paper tiger Georgia by 17"

Try this paper football.

Bama beats Auburn by 2
    Penn St. beats Auburn by 8
    Illinois beats Penn St. by 2
    TXSA beats Illinois by 7
    North Texas beats TXSA BY 22....Is North Texas now #1

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Try this paper football.

Bama beats Auburn by 2
    TXSA beats Illinois by 7

The transference model.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Bullsitter said:

Try this paper football.

Bama beats Auburn by 2
    TXSA beats Illinois by 7

I can see no flaws with this logic.

@coolstanley said:

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

Nice job dodging my question.

You are certainly welcome. But the fact is it has never happened so I can't possibly know the answer to it. But, I don't think any 2 loss team will ever get in UNLESS all/ most conferences have multiple two loss teams. That is possible

I'm certainly not going to get worked up on something that hasn't happened yet and start whining about it

m

We will see 2 loss teams get in when they expand to a 12 team tournament.

Ralph

edited December 7, 2021 1:58AM

@Brick said:

Justacommen guy doesn't speak the truth. Because EVERYONE who follows college football knows that if Alabama lost the week before against Auburn, and then beat Georgia. The committee would be putting them in as a 2 loss conference champions. While at the same time, the committee refuses to put in any other conference champion team with 2 losses in the other power 5 conferences. Proves right there that the system is a scam because it unfairly favors the sec.

Ignore list -Basebal21

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts OSU would have a Merry Christmas.

Ohio State has a Heisman Trophy finalist for the fourth time in four years.

C.J. Stroud became the latest Buckeye to earn a trip to New York on Monday, when he was named one of four finalists for this year’s Heisman along with Alabama quarterback Bryce Young, Michigan defensive end Aidan Hutchinson and Pitt quarterback Kenny Pickett.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre season Polls have to end if we are going to succeed in saving the Sportswriters from themselves

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Saw Notre Dame's 2022 schedule. They play both Ohio State and Clemson. Ouch.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:
    Saw Notre Dame's 2022 schedule. They play both Ohio State and Clemson. Ouch.

They also have a neutral site game against BYU and end on the road against a presumably-reinvigorated USC team. Not a whole lot of weeks off for ND next year, that's for sure.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I counted 10 FBS conferences and then there are the Independents. So 11 total. Each conference sends their Champion (and the top 2 independents have to play a championship game). One wildcard team would need to be selected.

The top 4 receive a bye the first round. So teams ranked 5 through 12 play first week. Winners round one would be reseeded to match up with the top four teams.

Just a thought.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

If Alabama had lost to Auburn in OT and then defeated #1 Georgia, Alabama would have been in.

edited December 10, 2021 3:14AM

@coolstanley said:

@Brick said:

Justacommen guy doesn't speak the truth. Because EVERYONE who follows college football knows that if Alabama lost the week before against Auburn, and then beat Georgia. The committee would be putting them in as a 2 loss conference champions. While at the same time, the committee refuses to put in any other conference champion team with 2 losses in the other power 5 conferences. Proves right there that the system is a scam because it unfairly favors the sec.

Get bent conspiracy boy. What a bunch of crap. Nothing of anything you wrote actually happened. None of it. Conspiracy where there is none.

FACT No 2 loss team has made it Into the playoffs INCLUDING this year. None of the power 5 including the SEC. You took something that didn't happen and turn it into a fairy tale. Then use the fairy tale to "prove" that the system is a scam. Problem is it never happened. The scam is you. You're pushing something that even hasn't happened as fact. I will give you something, your conspiracy theories are improving so there is that

But at the end of the day a 2 loss SEC Team did not get voted in this year or any other year. Never happened. That is the fact. End of story. But I know in your world you will just make something else up short on facts and long on conspiracy.

I 100% spoke the truth. You just can't handle it. Fact. No team with 2 losses has ever made the playoffs. That's all I said. It's an undeniable truth. I don't give a second thought "to what might happen if this happens." That's a fools game. Get worked up for nothing.

m

@s4ny said:
    If Alabama had lost to Auburn in OT and then defeated #1 Georgia, Alabama would have been in.

Without question.

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

@s4ny said:

Without question.

Nah. A 11-1 ND would have made it. Prove it otherwise. Regardless it didn't happen and never has

m

@Justacommeman said:

@coolstanley said:

@s4ny said:

Without question.

Nah. A 11-1 ND would have made it. Prove it otherwise. Regardless it didn't happen and never has

m

You know better. You just can't man up and admit you're wrong.

Ignore list -Basebal21