Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lower population 1921 Peace, pop 1 @ CAC

I've submitted a total of four different 1921 Peace Dollars in MS60, only this one was good enough for a sticker though. Not big on the toning, but the surface area is pretty good!

Comments

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought lowball wanted the opposite,,,,,,, a CAC sticker is counter productive to low ball isn't it?

GrandAm :)
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I thought lowball wanted the opposite,,,,,,, a CAC sticker is counter productive to low ball isn't it?

It's not a lowball, not a highball, maybe an eyeball?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has to be the nicest MS60 I have seen. The fields and devices are almost contact mark free.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us see the other three. Maybe we will agree they are equals.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the toning hiding contact marks that we can't see in the photos? It looks nicer than a 60 to me even though lacking luster.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin would have been a fun one for “guess the grade”. I doubt that anyone would have guessed correctly.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tarnish is horrible, but the coin - from what can be seen - appears MS.... Cheers, RickO

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, the strike and lack of contact marks are good. Maybe the lack of eye appeal is what made the coin a MS60

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 7:31AM

@Disneyfan I've seen many downright ugly coins in much higher grades. Eye appeal can probably move a coin slightly in either direction but I think the OP coin may be seriously undergraded. Unless there is a lot we can't see in the photos.

EDIT- I would rather have this toned example over a brilliant 21 Peace that has black spots on it like so many do.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-60 is typically hit or miss in my eyes, but this Peace is definitely a hit! I like it.

It's all about what the people want...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the least marky 60 I've ever seen.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any such thing as Unc. Surfaces, VF Details? The strike accounts for the MS60 grade, but the surfaces are nice enough.

@rhedden said:
    Is there any such thing as Unc. Surfaces, VF Details? The strike accounts for the MS60 grade, but the surfaces are nice enough.

I couldn’t disagree more about the strike. The detail is good as or better than on many MS65’s I’ve seen.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• From the photo, should be a gold cac, unless there is something there is not visible on photo, can only be seen on hand.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it

Collector, occasional seller

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what's wrong with it that we can't see? MS60 is pretty much the D- of grades.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the surfaces and originality of that one a ton...put those exact surfaces on a bust half or a bust dollar and the grey dirt collectors would be fighting it out
    😘

@messydesk said:
    So what's wrong with it that we can't see? MS60 is pretty much the D- of grades.

Most likely, marks and/or hairlines and/or a bit of rub. Since PCGS graded it 60 and CAC awarded it a green, rather than gold sticker, I’d be surprised if it looks as good in hand. And that’s no slam on the coin, either.

• InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for the comments!

The coin lacks luster, basically has none! Took a shot of the cheek thru a loupe to show some of the contact marks.

@1northcoin said:
    Let us see the other three. Maybe we will agree they are equals.

Here's pictures of two other MS60's that did not sticker, OGH coin has lots of luster.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden said:

Huh?

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 8:54PM

OK I’m going to diverge from the pack. Don’t like the look of this Peace dollar. Regardless of the grade. Or ungraded. Or no sticker.
    Don’t like the flat surface, don’t like the lack lack of luster, don’t like the scattered distractions, don’t like the dirty condition of the coin. I know it’s original but that doesn’t make me like it.
    That would be a pocket coin for me.
    P.S. And I get it, it’s a low population coin. I haven’t missed the intention of your post.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there must be something wrong with my eyesight and/or monitor. I still see weak detail in the eagle's feathers. It's not quite as weak as the OGH coin above, but still weak.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file