Home U.S. Coin Forum

1965 silver quarter

I recently found a 1965 quarter that weighs over 6 grams. How should I go about selling it at top dollar? It is in amazing condition with several doubling on letters (sorry not good with the correct terms). Thanks!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to PCGS to get certified then it will be easy to sell.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 2:33AM

Agreed, there is no chance of selling it for top dollar unless it has been certified. You can post pictures here to see if it is what you think it is. Can you post a picture of the edge? Is the copper core visible on the edge?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Pictures will help quite a bit. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want top dollar you are going to have to have excellent photos of the obverse, reverse and the rim.

All glory is fleeting.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the weight given it’s very likely that the coin is simply silver plated

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it is just a silver proof - is it cameo? Send us a picture ... should be worth a cup of coffee

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 8:21AM

I don't think they made silver proof quarters in 65 did they? Weren't these just regular clad bus strikes and clad sms?
    I do know there were a few silver strikes that escaped the mint but the odds of finding that???

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.
    Hi, yes the first post given to you, is the best suggestion. Very awesome if you got the real deal. Big money too!
    Post often and have FUN.
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 1943 cents struck on copper planchets and there are 1944 cents struck on steel planchets, so I guess it's possible that there are 1965 dated coins struck on silver planchets that were left over from 1964 that were stuck in one of the tote bids.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    I don't think they made silver proof quarters in 65 did they? Weren't these just regular clad bus strikes and clad sms?
    I do know there were a few silver strikes that escaped the mint but the odds of finding that???

Much lower than the odds of a troll on this forum...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Homegrown .... Welcome aboard. Pictures would help, but you have an input from the top expert on error coins @FredWeinberg ... Also, is your scale calibrated? Cheers, RickO

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 9:28AM

Welcome! Interesting first post.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK...............

Vplite99
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    Sounds like it is just a silver proof - is it cameo? Send us a picture ... should be worth a cup of coffee

No silver Proofs dated 1965. No proofs for that matter, only SMS issues for 1965

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

@Che_Grapes said:

No silver Proofs dated 1965. No proofs for that matter, only SMS issues for 1965

And 1.8 billion regular business strikes.

edited December 2, 2021 11:41AM

@Che_Grapes said:

no such thing. Neither proofs nor silver proofs.

@moursund said:

@bsshog40 said:

Not a troll unless they are purposely playing with us. Naivete does not equal trolldom.

Well based on this new info - and the fact the SMS sets are not silver - then this is either a really rare find OR it is not really what the OP thinks it is... I’m hoping for the former - please keep us posted

@jmlanzaf said:

@moursund said:

@bsshog40 said:

Not a troll unless they are purposely playing with us. Naivete does not equal trolldom.

I suspect that some of these "first post" players are just playing with us. Hard to tell...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe there are 1965 halves that were struck on 90% silver, and 1971 halves that were struck on 40% silver. That would be kool ...

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no photos and no further posts.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top Men are working on it.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

At this time, OP hasn't logged in since he made this post.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    At this time, OP hasn't logged in since he made this post.

I don't think he liked us questioning his coin's authenticity and he's moved on. Perhaps he's taken up stamp collecting. :|

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Top....men.....

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

Correct no proofs.

However, 1964 dated silver coins were struck until April 1966 to keep the commerce pipeline filled up. Generally, they stopped minting silver and started minting clad mint-by-mint, there are a few 1965 dated coins known.

But plating is much more likely esp. if it has a shiny finish.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2021 8:43PM

Lot description by Heritage:

1965 25C Washington Quarter -- Transitional Date Struck on Silver Planchet -- MS62 PCGS. A transitional error, struck on a leftover silver planchet from 1964. Errors of this type are rare. This piece is satiny with ivory-white luster and minimal abrasions for the grade. Slight strike softness is seen on the finer details of Washington's portrait.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

@oreville said:

Well there you go!!

@JBK said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Top....men.....

Speaking of which, were any old US coins featured in that film?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@JBK said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Top....men.....

Speaking of which, were any old US coins featured in that film?

Hmmm. Not sure.

I know his revolver was a nice Colt Model 17 if I am correct.

There was lots of nondescript foreign paper money in the bar scenes where he picked up his female cohort. I don't recall any coins, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file