Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PVC Residue Opinions, please!

RABRAB Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭

I was recently going through a box of coins from the "very early" days of my collecting and came across the 3 Cent Silver piece pictured below. This coin had been stored in one of those old, PVC-contamination-inducing clear plastic flips for 20 years or so until I got back into the hobby and learned about "safe" plastic flips. I don't have any experience with PVC residue, and am curious as to whether the images suggest that this coin has any or not. Any thoughts would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it, especially on the reverse. When you took the coin out of the holder, was there a ring on the flip where the coin was?

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it a soak in Acetone. If it's PVC, the acetone will remove it. If it's etched into the surface, the damage will obviously remain.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

@MasonG said:
    Looks like it, especially on the reverse. When you took the coin out of the holder, was there a ring on the flip where the coin was?

Honestly, I can't recall! What stands out to you/what do you look for?

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin shows some light corrosion though I cannot tell if that's from storage in a PVC flip. The coin needs a soak in acetone to remove any PVC-related crud on the coin before it can be properly evaluated. There appears to be some green PVC-like residue on the left reverse that will come off with an acetone bath. After it's been soaked and well rinsed, you may find more hairlines or lighter surfaces from light etching on the coin.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2021 8:35PM

The green haze, mostly visible to the left of the "C" plus a few spots of green like the ones near the "III" on the reverse and to the right of the "U" on the obverse.

As noted above, acetone will likely remove the contamination.

• Options

Thanks, @relicsncoins and @Barberian ...Regarding an acetone soak, is an acetone-based nail polish remover suitable or do I need to get something stronger from the hardware store? Also, how long should the coin be soaked?

• Options
    edited December 1, 2021 8:42PM

@RAB said:
    Thanks, @relicsncoins and @Barberian ...Regarding an acetone soak, is an acetone-based nail polish remover suitable or do I need to get something stronger from the hardware store? Also, how long should the coin be soaked?

Most nail polish removers have perfumes added. I would stick with pure acetone from a hardware store. A few minutes should do the trick. Rinse with pure water.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walmart often sells acetone

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I give all new additions to my collection that aren't slabbed a soak in acetone. I have no idea how the coin was handled before I received it. The acetone will also remove oils from a finger print that may later develop into a toned finger print.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if there were no PVC contamination, a soak in acetone should remove some of that dirt without hurting the toning. If you do it, please show us the final results. Acetone is highly flammable so be careful using it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

No rubbing! Let it soak for a while, pat dry with a q tip and no rubbing. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    No rubbing! Let it soak for a while, pat dry with a q tip and no rubbing. Good luck. Peace Roy

Hey Roy see your up early. I have never done the acetone dip. Understand not too long. My son is a professional painter so high grade acetone available. Question? Rinsing and drying. Q-tip ok ✅ rinse? Distilled water or ? Thanks
    Hey Perry. See your up early also. Either or both of you may opine on this rinse and dry question. Thanks JZ🤔

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:

@Namvet69 said:

Hey Roy see your up early. I have never done the acetone dip. Understand not too long. My son is a professional painter so high grade acetone available. Question? Rinsing and drying. Q-tip ok ✅ rinse? Distilled water or ? Thanks
    Hey Perry. See your up early also. Either or both of you may opine on this rinse and dry question. Thanks JZ🤔

Some advocate rinsing it with some fresh acetone. No need to dry it since acetone evaporates quickly.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good acetone soak.... change it to fresh acetone after a few hours (cover the container or the acetone will evaporate quickly)... and use pure acetone, not nail polish remover. I always rinse with alcohol, but if soaked well, twice, may not really be necessary.... Good luck, and show us your results. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file