Home U.S. Coin Forum

If it's an authentic find it's somewhat off the charts!

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a number of threads about the find and it was the real deal.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Thanks! I've been somewhat offline for a bit...

Coins are Neato!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, I thought that picture looked familiar.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a great story.. and find.... Something any of us have hoped for when asked to 'look at these old coins my Grandpa had'..... Cheers, RickO

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@MFeld said:

I believe it’s already been sold at auction after getting slabbed.
    $350k if I remember correctly.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Kurisu said:

@MFeld said:

I believe it’s already been sold at auction after getting slabbed.
    $350k if I remember correctly.

... And still a pretty boring looking coin... 😉

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to know what else is in that tin! Image is out of focus, but isn't that Pine Tree Shilling just under the index finger... and some sort of Fugio Cent under that?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two uncirculated Continental "Dollars", a Libertas America medal and a bunch of other junk. ;) Opening bid on the Continentals was just $24,000 each and they are nice but I figured what's the point of bidding $24,000 if it doesn't have a chance. And it didn't. They went for 3X+ that much. The NE Shilling opened at $100,000. Many here, including myself, would be a buyer at that price. Great story but the coins sold for what they are worth, not more.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file