Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don Schmitz's CC cancelled die restrikes going through the roof!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 30, 2021 12:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This die pair 36 piece by Raymond Donald "Don" Schmitz was just sold by a forum member @blu62vette for $2,495 on October 15, 2021!

I remember when these were in the $700 and then $1700 range, and now $2500!

What's the limit on these and when will PCGS slab them?

So far, the only ones I've seen that are slabbed are the dollar sized planchets done by ICG.

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent all my DC canceled die 1884S and 1884CC restrikes to ANACS. I am interested to see what they do with them. Arriving there today.

• Options

Here's the 2 oz silver restrike done by Dan @dcarr using the number 37 die pair:

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 8:52AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    I sent all my DC canceled die 1884S and 1884CC restrikes to ANACS. I am interested to see what they do with them. Arriving there today.

The mintage on the regular issue Schmitz pieces are much higher than the new ones by Dan. It will be interesting to see where prices end up.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These cancelled die strikes just do not interest me.... Though I would like to have a set of the dies (CC). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 29, 2021 8:54AM

@ricko said:
    These cancelled die strikes just do not interest me.... Though I would like to have a set of the dies (CC). Cheers, RickO

It's ok. There's enough demand for them out there. Given how many were struck, I'm surprised by how rarely they appear for sale.

I agree the dies are cool!

• Options

The current Carson City Mint coin market seems to be hitting on all cylinders. I think they could have asked more and probably gotten it.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Restrikes are increasing in value and their popularity is growing!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 12:54PM

@pcgscacgold said:

They will not likely encapsulate the 2oz specimen from DC*. The diameter of the coin is "too big" for their holders, or so I've been told by their customer service. All of the other DC vintage canceled die products will likely have not problems.
    (* ...or the Schmitz pieces, or the DC 2oz Morgan and Peace centennial pieces, etc)

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

I would postulate that that the price paid on the Schmitz piece is not only related to the heat of the coin market in general and Carson City mint collecting specifically, but may have actually been influenced by Daniel Carr's release of the cancelled Carson City die pair 37 items from the Moonlight Mint. The sale of the Schmitz piece was about concurrent with Dan's release.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@pcgscacgold said:

They will not likely encapsulate the 2oz specimen from DC*. The diameter of the coin is "too big" for their holders, or so I've been told by their customer service. All of the other DC vintage canceled die products will likely have not problems.
    (* ...or the Schmitz pieces, or the DC 2oz Morgan and Peace centennial pieces, etc)

Thanks @SPalladino I only sent the regular issues so should work out then. It will be interesting to see how they grade the uncleaned vs cleaned 1884-S and the Centennial pieces. They received my package a few hours ago.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ricko said:

It's ok. There's enough demand for them out there. Given how many were struck, I'm surprised by how rarely they appear for sale.

I am astonished that there remains any for sale on Dan Carr's site at this point. Sure, the mintages of those two were 99 and 199 pieces, but surely the market is bigger than that.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Thanks @SPalladino I only sent the regular issues so should work out then. It will be interesting to see how they grade the uncleaned vs cleaned 1884-S and the Centennial pieces. They received my package a few hours ago.

They'll get some practice on the ones that I sent - they have had them a week now.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@alefzero said:

@Zoins said:

@ricko said:

I am astonished that there remains any for sale on Dan Carr's site at this point. Sure, the mintages of those two were 99 and 199 pieces, but surely the market is bigger than that.

I am surprised as well. Especially the one with 99 (1884-S). If I am reading the notes correctly within that 99 are 14 off center so there were even less than 99 to begin with. It would be interesting to know how many are left of each.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ebay sale is mine.

I think that now that these others have been struck, the originals will gain more popularity.

I am surprised there is not more interest in the other cancelled die strike I have that is a 78-CC and 78-S combo. It has to be more rare than any of the others.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2021 2:24AM

@blu62vette said:
    The ebay sale is mine.

I think that now that these others have been struck, the originals will gain more popularity.

Good info! I've updated the OP to indicate it's yours :)

Regarding popularity, Dan @dcarr does a great job documenting his pieces which will help. Don's pieces were never documented well from what I've seen

I am surprised there is not more interest in the other cancelled die strike I have that is a 78-CC and 78-S combo. It has to be more rare than any of the others.

If you mean the on struck on the Maria Teresa Thaler, I think the 1884-CC has a few things going for it:

1. more well known - CC/S needs more marketing
    2. looks better in photos - CC/S undertype makes the photos look a bit confusing
    3. less than half the price - CC/S is more than twice the price

The last item, the price, may be the biggest issue as $2,495 is already an all time high I've seen for the 1884-CC and the CC/S is more than double at $5,750.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2021 12:56AM

1878-CC & 1884-CC Morgan dollar cancelled die strike on 2 oz silver planchet
    Sold for $2,495.00
    Ex. Todd Pollock

@blu62vette said:
    An uncommon cancelled die strike. These are 1884 and 1878-CC cancelled dies used to strike a 2 oz silver planchet. If I recall right about 80-100 were made and they have really been scooped up the past few years. Hard to find them now. This example has started to tone but has not been handled and is in great shape.

• Options

1878-S and 1878-CC cancelled dies strike over a Maria Teresa Thaler beyond rare!

This is a beyond unique piece. The base coin is a Maria Teresa thaler restrike coin. That coin has been struck with a 1878-S and 1878-CC cancelled die. The flip it comes it notes the 1878-CC die is not the one in the CC mint museum in the 1990's.

I dont have any idea the origin of this coin.

Here is information on the pictures for this item. The first two pictures are the most true to form of this coin for color, the coin has some toning on it. The 2nd four pictures are color adjusted so you can see details and the orientations better. The last two images are of the base coin a Maria Teresa thaler restrike. This coin is included in the sale so you have an example of the coin before being restock with the cancelled dies.

The auction includes 2 coins, the case coin and the cancelled die struck coin.

It is pretty crazy to imagine who had both these cancelled dies and decided to strike this coin. I can find very little information about any 1878-s cancelled dies.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2021 2:04AM

So that explains this 92 close (FG ? resource center}

Here comes another and don't shoot the messenger.

What ?

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file