Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Blank Planchet on eBay

RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172502213332?hash=item2829eee2d4:g:E~oAAOSw2xRYin7N

Does anyone have any idea what kind of planchet this may be? This is not my listing. I am just curious. Can't say I have seen one of these before.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a big world out there. It didn't have to be US.

Google "copper coin 6.4 g" and you'll find some possibilities.

It also could be for purposes other than coins.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a US blank at all obviously – looks to me like it’s a quarter slug like the ones that came out of New York City in the mid to late 1970s that were used for the subway turnstilesI had heard there was some mob connection but could not be sure

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    It’s not a US blank at all obviously – looks to me like it’s a quarter slug like the ones that came out of New York City in the mid to late 1970s that were used for the subway turnstilesI had heard there was some mob connection but could not be sure

Thank you, Fred. Much appreciated.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I never said it had to the the US. That was an assumption you made. Do not feel pressured to respond if you do not know the answer (as is the case here). Simply do not respond. There is no shame in not knowing the answer. As is usually the case, someone with much more knowledge will chime in, such as Fred did here. And, if you do know the answer, consider directing the person to the proper literature rather than the google catch-all that so many love to do. Whether you believe it or not, Google does not know everything.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 12:34PM

@FredWeinberg said:

Does sort of resemble them, but most of the ones I saw at Coin World back in the 70's had reeded edges. This one says the edge is plain.

The copper slugs were quite a problem for a while. Some coin wrapping venues switched to roll wrappers that had a long, clear plastic panel down the length of the roll so you could look to see if the roll had any slugs in it. Maybe the plain ones came first and the reeded ones came later to make them harder to spot by the edges. I don't know.

The mob connection was never proven one way or the other. Some rumors that I heard said that the mob was making and selling them for $5 or $6 a roll. Another rumor I heard was that some private entrepreneur was making them and the mob put him out of business because the slugs kept turning up in mob-owned juke boxes. Again, I don't know.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway

Thank you for the details. I find it very intriguing.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 2:44PM

@Rampage said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I never said it had to the the US. That was an assumption you made. Do not feel pressured to respond if you do not know the answer (as is the case here). Simply do not respond. There is no shame in not knowing the answer. As is usually the case, someone with much more knowledge will chime in, such as Fred did here. And, if you do know the answer, consider directing the person to the proper literature rather than the google catch-all that so many love to do. Whether you believe it or not, Google does not know everything.

What a rude response. When I Google the term indicated, I found a number of coins it could be (Finland 5 pennia, for example) so I provided that suggestion.

I'm sorry you couldn't be bothered repeating my search. You could page through 2000 pages of the Krause catalog, but I thought the Google option was easier.

My apologies for trying to help. I didn't have time to create a complete list from my Google search.

I am, frankly, shocked at your response to my attempt to help.

• Options
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a rusted hole out of a metal electrical box. I think I have some laying around. I will create an alt and post here with my rare and expensive discovery, asking if it’s colonial!

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Probably a rusted hole out of a metal electrical box. I think I have some laying around. I will create an alt and post here with my rare and expensive discovery, asking if it’s colonial!

Could you provide a literature reference?

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

Do you call those knockouts 'holes'? 🙂

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund said:

@jessewvu said:

Do you call those knockouts 'holes'? 🙂

They call them "donut holes"

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

No, I sure can't... I was trying to lighten things up with a little humor. Swing and a miss!

• Options

@jessewvu said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

No, I sure can't... I was trying to lighten things up with a little humor. Swing and a miss!

I laughed...

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thai 5 baht coins are in two varieties, both are sandwich compositioned like the US quarter. The older ones are thicker, but the newer ones are thinner and will work as a quarter in vending machines.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jessewvu said:

I laughed...

... I cried...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

could be half cent slick that was flattened some

it looks like some denticles remains on edge

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway.... Thanks for the interesting history of the subway cheats.... Did not know it was that widespread. I was out of the country for much of the 70's.
    The first image of that blank 'appears' to have an upset rim.... could be just my imagination. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file