Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you were in the market for an MS69 1986-D PCGS Lincoln would you consider. . .

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2021 4:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

the following coin?
It is priced at near 10K. (An MS68 typically sells for $100.- $150.)
Here's an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275039906520?hash=item4009a7ead8:g:A7YAAOSwlgVhnmJF

I'm concerned about the reverse carbon spot (above the "E" in CENT).
Is it still worthy, in your opinion, of the coveted MS69 grade?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t care if the spot wasn’t there. Zinc is unstable and I wouldn’t pay anywhere near five figures for a Zincoln.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the spot for the grade, but what really concerns me are the plating blisters especially under Liberty. And regardless if I only wanted an MS69 example of a Zincoln there are better ones out there for less money. Now if you need that specific date in that grade then this may be as good as it gets as the early dates had significant plating issues.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 4:11PM

linked from the cert page

click through to the large sized image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me any coin where a huge portion of the price is based on a one point difference in grade, especially in the lofty levels of 68, 69 and 70, are very risky. It can go in the safe a 69 and comes out a 68 a year from now.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 5:14PM

How many 1909-S V.D.B.'s can I buy for 10K? :*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    How many 1909-S V.D.B.'s can I buy for 10K? :*

Heck and throw in 55 dd

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

And how many more will go MS 69 if that one made it??

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few pics from @emeraldATV should change your mind if you are a buyer - LOL!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO. The textured surfaces are a complete turn-off for me. Besides, 10K for a Memorial cent is ludicrous.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't trust any graded Zinc Lincoln cent from rot ... especially MS69.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 7:23PM

For the zinc condemnations, this spot could be on an otherwise RD bronze

i.e. it’s not zinc rot

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

If even just a few of those bumps are trapped gas bubbles..... Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like the carbon spot, but like everyone else, even if it wasn't there, I wouldn't spend more on this coin than I could afford to throw away. There's monstrous downside potential here. Very little upside, except perhaps registry bragging rights.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I have a pair of 68’s maybe I should send this one in for reconsideration.
    Or I can sell it to you for the list price of $75 and you could send it back numerous times until it hit.

Aside from the bubbles the coin you’re showing has a higher degree of luster, Stronger strike, and obviously fewer hits.

I like this one for $75. It looks better than the OP's 69.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way would I pay $10K for a zincoln cent.... And that particular example is not particularly exciting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's probably thousands of MS69 examples that haven't been certified. An 86D cent in 68 is barely worth more than the cost of grading, shipping and insurance.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    There's probably thousands of MS69 examples that haven't been certified. An 86D cent in 68 is barely worth more than the cost of grading, shipping and insurance.

Let me know when you find one ;)

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@gumby1234 said:

Let me know when you find one ;)

And being the generous soul I am, I’ll beat the $1 bids in this thread. 😂

• Options

Serious question: If the gas bubbles pop, is the resulting grade drop covered by the guarantee? I’m thinking probably not, but I don’t know. Any one have any experience with this?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 8:54AM

Haven’t had one pop (yet)😂. The tpg companies are very clear about subsequent problems post encapsulation. It’s the curbside warranty of old. Once it crossed the curb your warranty became very limited if in effect at all 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, I wouldn't be buying one with bubbles and I don't purchase high end Zincs anyway.
    I like making them for other people to buy which, is a work in progress.
    If I had that kind of disposable income I would be buying the type of stuff Eldorado9 likes.
    Which is also a work in progress ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file