Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why Was This Wreath Cent Downgraded?

I was previewing the FUN auction and found this in the description of this Wreath Cent:

“The grade of this piece was recently adjusted from its former PCGS assessment of MS68 Brown. The numerical grade is not important as it stands alone as the finest existing 1793 Sheldon-8 Wreath cent.”

https://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cents/1793-1c-wreath-vine-and-bars-edge-s-8-b-13-r3-ms67-brown-pcgs-pcgs-35456-/p/1341-105010.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515-new

Why would the owner agree to a downgrade? I don’t get it.
Also if anyone has the group photo of the collection of high grade large cents in PCGS slabs I would love to see that again- thank you!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the world of trophy coins ... who knows?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the line on the portrait or the plastic?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter. I believe this is what you are looking for?

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Inspired70 said:

Yes indeed now I’ll save a copy
    Thank you!

• Options

Maybe this is the coin I posted?

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Maybe this is the coin I posted?

Yes, believe you are correct.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be a story there. Who would know?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

And can the new buyer lose the Simpson label and put it back in a 68 holder? Unlike the Heritage narrator, I believe the numerical grade is important and is directly related to what it will achieve at auction.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 10:40AM

@Floridafacelifter said:
    I was previewing the FUN auction and found this in the description of this Wreath Cent:

“The grade of this piece was recently adjusted from its former PCGS assessment of MS68 Brown. The numerical grade is not important as it stands alone as the finest existing 1793 Sheldon-8 Wreath cent.”

https://coins.ha.com/itm/large-cents/1793-1c-wreath-vine-and-bars-edge-s-8-b-13-r3-ms67-brown-pcgs-pcgs-35456-/p/1341-105010.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515-new

Why would the owner agree to a downgrade? I don’t get it.
    Also if anyone has the group photo of the collection of high grade large cents in PCGS slabs I would love to see that again- thank you!

CAC sticker. Some will downgrade in hopes of obtaining a sticker. It does not appear to have come to fruition in this case. It also looks like it sadly shed the OGH.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 10:36AM

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 10:21AM

@Floridafacelifter said:
    And can the new buyer lose the Simpson label and put it back in a 68 holder? Unlike the Heritage narrator, I believe the numerical grade is important and is directly related to what it will achieve at auction.

You could always resubmit as a regrade but it is far from guaranteed. And those bidding will forever treat it as a PCGS67 CAC reject, because coins like this cannot run from their provenance.

Lack of CAC sticker notwithstanding, it still looks like a very nice example. I’d hope that an advanced collector would appreciate it for what it is regardless of the plastic and stickers.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

You could always resubmit as a regrade but it is far from guaranteed. And those bidding will forever treat it as a PCGS67 CAC reject, because coins like this cannot run from their provenance.

Lack of CAC sticker notwithstanding, it still looks like a very nice example. I’d hope that an advanced collector would appreciate it for what it is regardless of the plastic and stickers.

Agreed. As a pop one, the number or CAC is irrelevant to the price.

• Options

Makes sense- thanks for the comments! I’ve never deliberately downgraded a coin to get a CAC sticker- not my style.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Makes sense- thanks for the comments! I’ve never deliberately downgraded a coin to get a CAC sticker- not my style.

I don't see a CAC.

• Options

Why isn’t there a True View for the coin? You’d think PCGS would have a far better image than this for the certification verification for a 6 figure coin.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not even on CoinFacts

I’m guessing pcgsphoto wants a do over on this one

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

The coin does not look MS68 to me. Someone might have overgraded it a lot considering it was in an OGH, and there is no way a large cent will EVER be graded MS69, especially the first year.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 11:12AM

@hummingbird_coins said:
    The coin does not look MS68 to me. Someone might have overgraded it a lot considering it was in an OGH, and there is no way a large cent will EVER be graded MS69, especially the first year.

There already is. See pics above.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:

You shouldn’t have said “EVER”. Look beneath the circled coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

There’s a 69 in the group photo, just below the OP coin. And the OP coin does not have a CAC, so if the downgrade was to get stickered it was a hard fail.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thing there’s no guarantee for copper!

• Options

@Zoins said:

There is, just not copper color.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

Ah yes, you’re correct!

I wonder if PCGS had to issue a payout for this downgrade?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a beautiful coin.... While I would certainly want it slabbed, the grade is unimportant to me.... And the statement about none higher, is incorrect (also noted above) unless that was downgraded as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Finest S-8 known

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

idk when the downgrade occurred but between the crackout and the dark image, i'd say there is a chance that is a sniffer image.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

Ah yes, you’re correct!

Pop 1. Value didn't change.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

idk when the downgrade occurred but between the crackout and the dark image, i'd say there is a chance that is a sniffer image.

photo would still want a do over

This should be at the top of CoinFacts

• Options

Maybe the next owner will reholder it and have new TrueViews taken- that would be my move

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 11:50AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

Ah yes, you’re correct!

Pop 1. Value didn't change.

Interesting. That’s a good theory. It would be great to see the before and after to confirm.

• Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Is the line on the portrait or the plastic?

Looking at the Heritage Auction listing, it appears the obverse scratch is in the plastic. I don't know about the scratch on the reverse! I handle all of my coins (slabbed or raw) with tender loving care. It is beyond me how collectors are so rough with the holders as if they just toss them in a shoebox from across the room. If I were the new owner, I would get it re-holdered, and lose the provenance, and the tacky label art, and ask to get the coin positioned properly with the date at six o'clock, as the eighteenth-century designer intended. It's a shame the OGH was lost.

Matt Snebold

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 12:21PM

@Inspired70 said:

Guessing this was taken when Jay Parrino/The Mint was cornering the market on rarities. I recall getting to see some of these in person at ‘94 ANA show. Very impressive.

Coins like this, and the 1796 in the other thread, will transcend all the holdering, re-holdering, changing labels, grades, CAC or no CAC, etc that is just lost on me.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2021 12:26PM

@cameonut2011 said:
    Why isn’t there a True View for the coin? You’d think PCGS would have a far better image than this for the certification verification for a 6 figure coin.

This is very surprising given that the coin is in a Simpson holder.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

I'm not blind. I meant there SHOULDN'T ever be a large cent graded MS69.

Young Numismatist

• Options

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

Are you saying it’s impossible that one could deserve that grade or that the grade shouldn’t be assigned, even if deserved?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

Are you saying it’s impossible that one could deserve that grade or that the grade shouldn’t be assigned, even if deserved?

I'm just saying I don't think it would exist because
    A: The coin is large, so it wouldn't avoid contact, like some MS69 gold dollars do,
    B: The coins that are being discussed are brown, and there is a limit to how much luster a brown coin can have.

Young Numismatist

• Options

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

A: The coin is large, so it wouldn't avoid contact, like some MS69 gold dollars do,
    B: The coins that are being discussed are brown, and there is a limit to how much luster a brown coin can have.

Thank you.

• Options

@hummingbird_coins said

Mmmhmm.,, 😈😂

• Options

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

Thank you.

A. Why couldn't the coin have been a presentation piece and, therefore, avoided contact.

B. A light chocolate brown coin can have considerable luster, especially if an early strike. (See A.)

C. The anthropic principle applied to coins: it exists therefore it is possible. :)

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Heritage is hoping for a CAC bean?

• Options

CAC conspiracy theories

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 3:12PM

I am surprised that the cent in the OGH was cracked out and resubmitted or accepted a downgrade unless PCGS offered substantial compensation.

i remember looking at this cent in 1995 or 1994 at Jay Parrino’s table and decided not to buy them. Just was not interested in the very early Federal cents.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@oreville said:
    I am surprised that the cent in the OGH was cracked out and resubmitted or accepted a downgrade unless PCGS offered substantial compensation.

i remember looking at this cent in 1995 or 1994 at Jay Parrino’s table and decided not to buy them. Just was not interested in the very early Federal cents.

What ever happened to Jay? He went from one of the most well known dealers in the country owning several ultra rarities including the Farouk 1933 Saint to obscurity in a relatively short span of time.

• Options

@UltraHighRelief said:
    Maybe Heritage is hoping for a CAC bean?

I don’t know you can put it on the auction house.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 4:07PM

Possibly downgraded after professional conservation?

As I recall one or two of those seven OGH large cents pictured developed spots as it was the talk on the whole brouse floor at a Philadelphia ANA show in 2008 or 2009.

Edited to add: I never saw it and spots might be a strong word. Yet that's what I heard which might have been gossip that snowballed. I could see them having developed verdigris growth which needed to be addressed which occurs often with slabbed 19th century copper.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@oreville said:

What ever happened to Jay? He went from one of the most well known dealers in the country owning several ultra rarities including the Farouk 1933 Saint to obscurity in a relatively short span of time.

Legal problems

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@oreville said:

He's still in coins as a collector as he has a top early everyman AU58 registry including a 1794 $1.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

gossip? on the bourse floor? UNHEARD OF!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 6:30PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    gossip? on the bourse floor? UNHEARD OF!

I did hear there was once a show where everything said on the floor was factual. I think it was a 10 table show in a VFW hall in the midwest in the 70s. Never before and never again.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file