Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought this coin today at the Westchester coin show. Beautiful coin but the fingerprint.

Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2021 12:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Was super excited till I noticed the fingerprint under the chin. Coin is blazing with not many marks at all. Can this coin grade higher today at PCGS or get gold at CAC. Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 12:27AM

PCGS MS 64

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice. I would go for the sticker. I think your upside is higher with the rattler and a green bean than a higher grade in a new holder. That’s just me, though. Others may have differing and better opinions.
    Also, going the route of the sticker, your costs are lower.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate finger prints but that one doesn't bother me. Great looking coin in an old rattler slab. What's not to like?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I hate finger prints but that one doesn't bother me. Great looking coin in an old rattler slab. What's not to like?

Shot for gold bean Perry? Or resubmit as raw?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a 64+ to me. I’d leave it in the old holder, as people like them, they can offer/show stability to the coin’s surfaces and the value difference between a 64, a 64+ and even a 65 isn’t very much. I think it would get a green sticker but I wouldn’t even bother. The difference in value with or without a sticker would be minimal.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@PerryHall said:

Shot for gold bean Perry? Or resubmit as raw?

I hate to see old rattler slabs being destroyed. Being in a 30+ year old rattler holder means that finger print is stable and won't get any darker. Your coin certainly has a shot at a gold bean.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 4:58AM

To me the contact marks on the obverse are more distracting than the fingerprints and might hold it back from a higher grade....not sure about the stickers...but I know when that whenever I am thinking Gold I never get it...LOL...

And in terms of re-grading...unless I am missing something this is a $160 coin in 64 and the cost of sending it to PCGS doesn't really merit any potential increase in value...probably worth as much in a rattler with a green bean than a 65 in a new holder...

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before I scrolled down to your slab shot I was thinking its a solid 64. I would leave it in that holder.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonruns said:
    To me the contact marks on the obverse are more distracting than the fingerprints and might hold it back from a higher grade....not sure about the stickers...but I know when that whenever I am thinking Gold I never get it...LOL...

And in terms of re-grading...unless I am missing something this is a $160 coin in 64 and the cost of sending it to PCGS doesn't really merit any potential increase in value...probably worth as much in a rattler with a green bean than a 65 in a new holder...

Although the coin lists at $160 in the price guide, they don’t usually trade for that much. But I agree about the cost of grading, relative to the potential increase in value from a higher grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad at all.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin and appears to be properly graded.... I would leave it as is... I do not think a new slab, + or green bean would be worth the investment. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sending coins to CAC is a good learning experience and fairly inexpensive plus fast. Personally I'd send it.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 looks like the correct grade to me.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 10:38AM

My opinion is similar to those above, I think the coin is correctly graded (maybe a + today) but not a 65. I agree that leaving it in the rattler is better than moving it to a new holder value wise. Sending to CAC is a dice roll, get a green and you have lost value, get a gold and you win. Personally I think the chance of a gold sticker is less than 10% and would not bother myself.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks like it’s correctly graded. Even if it were to grade higher you’re not adding any value after paying grading fees. I’d leave it alone and the OGH has a nice look to it.

If I had multiple coins I was submitting to CAC I would definitely include it but I think it’s not cost effective to send a single $150 coin to CAC. Even though there’s no fee for collectors if the coin doesn’t sticker you still have shipping fees.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2021 2:43PM

@coinbuf said:
    My opinion is similar to those above, I think the coin is correctly graded (maybe a + today) but not a 65. I agree that leaving it in the rattler is better than moving it to a new holder value wise. Sending to CAC is a dice roll, get a green and you have lost value, get a gold and you win. Personally I think the chance of a gold sticker is less than 10% and would not bother myself.

The cheek and face looks much cleaner in hand than my camera photo suggests. This coin graded ms 66 CAC and doesn’t look much different than my coin. I will send it to CAC and update forum members.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    It looks nice. I would go for the sticker. I think your upside is higher with the rattler and a green bean than a higher grade in a new holder. That’s just me, though. Others may have differing and better opinions.
    Also, going the route of the sticker, your costs are lower.

I agree 100%.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@Joey29 said:

@coinbuf said:

The cheek and face looks much cleaner in hand than my camera photo suggests. This coin graded ms 66 CAC and doesn’t look much different than my coin. I will send it to CAC and update forum members.

That coin has a bit better luster. I like the die crack around the reverse on your coin.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin really, the print is light at least in the photo. I like that coin in that holder..

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. "Bean" it and be done with it.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@thebigeng said:
    Nice coin really, the print is light at least in the photo. I like that coin in that holder..

@thebigeng said:

It’s lighter in hand. Thanks for your feedback

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it the way it is.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@Barberian said:

Does a coin like this really need a bean?

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin and CAC worthy at 64 in my opinion. I think it’s 50/50 as far as an upgrade but those more knowledgeable think the old holder is as valuable as an upgrade so I’d go with their advice on that.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Barberian said:

Does a coin like this really need a bean?

Yes. An emerald bean looks nice on everything, particularly rattlers.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 7:11PM

People don't understand how rare gold CAC stickers are on Morgans. About one in 180 Morgan's stickered by CAC receive gold. If you assume that about half pass and half fail, that is one in every 360 PCGS/NGC slabbed Morgan dollars that is gold CACable.

That has almost no shot.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful Morgan. Nice pick up. I have no opinion on CAC. I have not ever used them.

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I can’t even find the fingerprint. Due to diabetes I am losing vision in my right eye. So I will use that as my excuse.

• Options

Lots of die cracks on reverse. I would take a closer look at that. Not for grading purposes, but for variety sake.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2021 8:51PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    People don't understand how rare gold CAC stickers are on Morgans. About one in 180 Morgan's stickered by CAC receive gold. If you assume that about half pass and half fail, that is one in every 360 PCGS/NGC slabbed Morgan dollars that is gold CACable.

That has almost no shot.

Why do you think gold stickers are difficult to obtain on Morgan Dollars? Would I have a better chance as a regrade at PCGS? Thanks for your insight . Btw why do you think this particular coin isn’t a good candidate for gold?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fingerprints are usually a big turn off for me, but this one is barely perceptible. Personally, I like the coin in the old rattler holder and would just opt to leave it alone...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a term used called “coffin coin “. This is exactly what I imagine one would look like. It’s kinda at its final resting place. Changes could be made by why? It’s lovely as is. Take that money and look for another coin.
    I will say please buy what you like and sticker as you wish. It’s your collection so enjoy it. 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file