Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old 4SC sub, back when they had dedicated cert runs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm….where is my old shoe box of Star Wars cards…Mom????…. Mom????…. Have you seen them?….You did what???!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Graded today that's an 8 or 9 at best. Top left corner wear and edge wear for sure...

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any excuse to see this beautiful set, I’ll take…

😁

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium I agree… thanks for sharing! Quick question….are you not interested in a SW graded set, versus the ungraded set as you’ve shown? Maybe the historical prices of the set didn’t warrant it until recently? Just wondering.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium I agree… thanks for sharing! Quick question….are you not interested in a SW graded set, versus the ungraded set as you’ve shown? Maybe the historical prices of the set didn’t warrant it until recently? Just wondering.

Most of my collection is raw and not graded. In addition, I can no longer afford to submit cards to PSA and haven’t submitted any cards since the shut down. And I still enjoy collecting because what a card grades never really matters to me and I collected before grading was even around and didn’t discover it or use it until maybe 10 years ago, and even then only here and there.

I like PSA - a lot - and I do miss the service because I have some material that would certainly benefit from the significantly better protection provided by their holder. And it would assuredly fetch a better price if I decided to sell it somewhere down the line.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremiums Thanks for your logical reply. I am an old non-sports collector. I still have my raw Star Wars cards (so you know I enjoy looking at yours). Given the current state of affairs, I don’t know if mine will ever see holders either. I agree that I would like mine protected for long term storage so who knows…maybe some day.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    @1951WheatiesPremiums Thanks for your logical reply. I am an old non-sports collector. I still have my raw Star Wars cards (so you know I enjoy looking at yours). Given the current state of affairs, I don’t know if mine will ever see holders either. I agree that I would like mine protected for long term storage so who knows…maybe some day.

Whether sport or non sport, the fact that the standards that have tightened over time, while understandable and necessary, can be really frustrating at times. Some want to play the regrade game but I just can’t, for a variety of reasons. And I don’t want to experience the same thing with these Star Wars cards as I did with my James Bond’s, another set that I went from wanting to get all graded to skipping altogether…

…because raw cards are awesome just like graded ones are, too!

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@threeofsix said:

Whether sport or non sport, the fact that the standards that have tightened over time, while understandable and necessary, can be really frustrating at times. Some want to play the regrade game but I just can’t, for a variety of reasons. And I don’t want to experience the same thing with these Star Wars cards as I did with my James Bond’s, another set that I went from wanting to get all graded to skipping altogether…

…because raw cards are awesome just like graded ones are, too!

@1951WheatiesPremium
    I get it!!! It’s taken me along time to learn that the way the card looks is a lot more important than the holder it’s in!! Thanks again for sharing.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 2:40PM

I've always liked this set. I'm building it raw right now, but wish I'd have done more before the prices jumped. Still scan eBay for lots from time to time, but I'm kind of picky on condition of these. Doesn't have to be sharp, but there have been a lot of beaters for sale lately. I was at a show a few years ago and there was a dealer that had these in a box. They were all top loaded and were a quarter each. I bought the 60 best looking ones there, and now I wish I'd have just bought the whole box.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2022 12:49PM

@Bearkat21 said:
    I've always liked this set. I'm building it raw right now, but wish I'd have done more before the prices jumped. Still scan eBay for lots from time to time, but I'm kind of picky on condition of these. Doesn't have to be sharp, but there have been a lot of beaters for sale lately. I was at a show a few years ago and there was a dealer that had these in a box. They were all top loaded and were a quarter each. I bought the 60 best looking ones there, and now I wish I'd have just bought the whole box.

@Bearkat21 I bet if you polled everyone on these boards, we all have a “wish I’d bought the whole box.” story!! (Mine was 1966 Lost In Space). I think moments like that end up helping you be more comfortable pulling the trigger when you get another opportunity.

I think with vintage sets like these, patience is the key. Seeing a set expand over a period of time makes me appreciate it more.

Thanks for sharing.

Live long, and prosper.