Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1972D Lincoln cent clashed dies... TV images update...

sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 27, 2022 9:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently bought a roll of 1972D Lincoln cents hoping to get a RPM (no luck there). Instead I got a few nice clashed coins. The pillars from the memorial really caught my eye. The "TY" from "LIBERTY" clashed into the memorial very clearly too.

For those who like clashed coinage, I hope you enjoy these images too.

Comments

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Great clash

It's a very nice clash! Are these sorts of things worth slabbing?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great clashes!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    Great clash

Not usually

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

@moursund said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    Great clash

I like clashed coinage, but I doubt there is much of a market out there for anything other than those with a history or noted collect-ability like VAMs. At the very least I will get a few hard capsules to keep me from harming them any further. I may send the better of the three in to get graded but only for addition to my TPG graded collection.

• Options

Slabbed or not, I am sure there are some people who would pay a few $$ for one.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great clash - is it a known variety?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice clashes.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

I wouldn't know where to look for clashed varieties. I just collect them when I can find them.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2021 9:43PM

@sumdunce said:

@Steven59 said:

I wouldn't know where to look for clashed varieties. I just collect them when I can find them.

Now you do...........?????????? I don't know
    http://www.maddieclashes.com/

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are clashes from almost 50 years ago. Does this still happen at the mint? Or do they have such better equipment that it would be impossible?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@Steven59 said:

@sumdunce said:

@Steven59 said:

Now you do...........?????????? I don't know
    http://www.maddieclashes.com/

Looks like a match to maddieclashes.com/cclt1-1c-1972d-01/

So I would say it is a known variety.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell using just the photos you provided

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    Hard to tell using just the photos you provided

I was using the location of the "RTY" in "LIBERTY" compared to the clashed pillars. I was also looking at the top loop of the 9 and the top bar of the 7 compared to the location of the clashed image. If they are not the same, then they are really close.

I will check the mint mark location tomorrow as well as confirm all the rest of the die markers to be certain.

• Options

The MDC one has a good amount of die rotation

Plus it looks like they provided some PUPs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love original rolls. If you find one good thing, you'll likely find another.

Nice clashing.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really interesting clashed die cents.... I used to search rolls of half dollars... never cents. Did not find any clashes on the half dollars. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

That type of "heavy" clash has been named the "Prisoner" Cent in the past.

Haven't seen too many show up lately.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@MsMorrisine I believe you are correct. I am not as certain as I was yesterday. Although some things appear to match, some areas do not seem to match.

The details above the memorial do not seem to match:

I can not determine if the website's coin has the "O" clash like mine does:

The abrasions under the chin do seem to match:

It is hard to tell by the website's coin image but the die gouge in the upper crook of the "N" does seem to match:

The clash image at the mint mark does not appear to match. The website's coin has an extra clash loop between the 9 and the mint mark that is not on my coins:

The polish lines all seem to flow in the same direction, but the missing clash details where the mint mark area and the memorial clashed seem to indicate the website's coin and mine are from different dies.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2021 10:33AM

Coingrats!

These are very exciting and good looking finds!

Is there a known variety designation for these?

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! And thanks for sharing.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2021 1:13PM

I like how yours have clashing on both sides. I guess the issue had not been caught yet and the dies had not been worked on to remove the clashing.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

only read about 1/2 the thread but wanted to say that there are double and multi-clashers in the group.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the Overlay:

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    only read about 1/2 the thread but wanted to say that there are double and multi-clashers in the group.

I took another look at the clash under the "R" in "LIBERTY" and agree it was a double clash that offset about the distance between pillars.

• Options

Take some good pics and see if MDC will post them

• Options

I tried to get them TV'ed but no joy. The PDF form did not carry the extra money down to the total line and even though I overpaid in the total line to cover the TV'ing. They skipped checking it off on the form and reduced the cost of the submission. I guess I should be happy they didn't charge for a service they did not provide. I got them back today and confirmed the items on the PDF form did not get a check-mark from a PCGS employee.

Maybe I should send them off to the clashed die site, and ask if I could get copies of their images.

On a side note, I could not decide which coin was better than the other two so I sent in all three on the quarterly special. PCGS agreed that all were same grade (MS66RD).

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice find! 👍🏻 👍🏻 A total of 3?? Was it a brand new roll? Where did you buy them? On-line? Coin shop?

Sorry for all the questions.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

I found "original bank wrapped" rolls that I had put aside over the years. I am thinking this one was from a local coin shop since I only had one roll. I was looking for RPMs in local shops lately and remembered I had some early 70s rolls. All three were in one roll.

• Options

UPDATE
    I sent an email to PCGS stating the issue with the PDF form and getting TVs. They stated a person should manually add the TV cost on the printed PDF form in the "ADD ON FEES" section before sending the submission.

They also offered to make things right and take the coins back to get the TVs done as long as I still cover the TV cost per coin. I am hoping to be sending them back soon to get them imaged.

• Options

TV images for the cents posted this morning:

Enjoy...

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2022 11:26AM

The 2 in the date in your excellent photos made me immediately think 'Doubled Die'

There are several 1972 Philadelphia DDOs with similar doubling on the 2. I checked out Variety Vista, and sure enough, there are a couple of different Denver DDOs with a similar-looking 2. here's DDO-006:

http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/1972DDDO006.htm

I'm not saying yours is DDO-006, but definitely worth checking it out- here's V V's image of DDO-006:

Whether it is or isn't, if the 2 on your coins really looks like that, it might be worth sending one to Wexler or CONECA as it might be a discovery or a new die state of an existing variety.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

I was so mesmerized by the clash that I did not notice the possibility of a DDO.

Mintmark positioning seems off to me. Also the die markers look a bit different too (no mark above the E in LIBERTY).

The IGWT motto does appear to have similar doubling though. Maybe a new variety?

Similar look on the "IN"

Inner top of the "G"

Similar look for the spine of the "D" (but different alignment IMHO)

Slightly different alignment of the tops of the "U"

Interesting...

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice clashers and this one is for sure a cut above!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file