Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grandkids and coin collecting

2»

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    @HATTRICK It reminds of when the family went to TX visit mom's parents and I brought back a bank made from a real large beer can. I saved all summer and I couldn't figure out why there was so little in it. Then 1 day i found a butter knife on the floor and realized my brothers had used it to widen the coin slot and were doing a slow drain on it.

Was it the knife or were there candy wrappers and baseball card wrappers laying around?

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@moursund said:
    First my children (ages 24, 26, 27) would have to produce grandchildren...

Wow, You're that old dude? Lol.
    I thought you were your kids age! Lol
    B)

I combine insight and wisdom, experience and financial savvy, with some sophomoric humor. But I was born when dimes were made of silver. 😉

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 2:39PM

@moursund said:

@joeykoins said:

@moursund said:
    First my children (ages 24, 26, 27) would have to produce grandchildren...

Wow, You're that old dude? Lol.
    I thought you were your kids age! Lol
    B)

I combine insight and wisdom, experience and financial savvy, with some sophomoric humor. But I was born when dimes were made of silver. 😉

1992 and on😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 3:02PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Thanks for sharing this. I’m sure grandpas and grandmas on the forum hope for a similar outcome these days. JZ

I think collecting is something your born with or not. Some people are naturally drawn to collecting. Others could careless.
    Grandparents and parents can support collecting but I dont think you can turn someone into a collector.

Before coins I think I was collecting bugs... mom never liked when Id put spiders into jars and brought them into the house though... lol

Then it was fossils... Because I was a money oriented kid, coin collecting was a natural and better fit.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almine like bugs too

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Mine helped me slab the plastic cockroach we put in the humor thread

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

My kids only care about what things are worth - no interest in collecting. Grandkids still too young to tell yet - not getting my hopes up!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first grandson was born 3 1/2 months ago

I expect more grandchildren …hopefully 😀

I have put away Lincoln penny sets complete except for the 1909 svdb.

I also have complete sets of franklins Jefferson’s and Washington quarters to pass out to them as well.

I will give to them over time as I see their interest grow.

Also I will introduce them early to coins of the world ….cool ones 😀

I will spend time with them to hopefully encourage them to collect and help them understand history behind the coinage.

No interest ….no coins.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask can I be one your grand kids

• Options

@bidask said:

I also have complete sets of franklins Jefferson’s and Washington quarters to pass out to them as well.

I will give to them over time as I see their interest grow.

Also I will introduce them early to coins of the world ….cool ones 😀

I will spend time with them to hopefully encourage them to collect and help them understand history behind the coinage.

No interest ….no coins.

Something that helped me was teaching about value. An appreciation for how things are made and how silver and gold figure into all that. Placing a 1 oz silver coin in hand is helpful. That Pokémon card gets ruined your out something happens to your silver dollar you still have the silver. Be patient. Their interest comes in waves. 😉

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Oy! Stop being such a cheapskate! Don't leave out the keys! 😡😜

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭✭

This youngest generation that's coming up in the age range mentioned here is likely the most apt to get into the hobby. I've seen it first hand working retail. They aren't as impressed with technology as their parents are because they were born with iPhones and wifi and all that. They're excited about coins because learning about them helps them feel smart and accomplished.

Had I more free time over the last few years, I would have started up a local coin club. There was plenty of interest and enough youngsters to make it a worthwhile experience.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

@The_Dinosaur_Man Hopefully my grandkids will coin collecting as much as I do. The history of the coins is what I truly love.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file