Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"The Great American Coin Hunt"

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2021 11:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Has anyone heard of the new event that some well known publisher, Charles Morgan, from Coin World.
As well as, another coin dealer, his name eludes me,
wants to start to generate interest in the coin hobby?
It is similar to The great American Coin Hunt, premise. Starting in late December, they want to shoot a spark in the hobby to maybe bring more coin collectors in. They're going about it by having many, many contributors, such as, dealers, coin collectors or whomsoever wants to help. Their main plan would be to donate a coin/s, along with a letter explaining about the coin and the coin hobby, into the public. Speaking of where exactly would be up to the contributor. They're talking a vast amount of participants. They said, they have 50 people so far that are willing to help generate this new attempt to bring in the knowledge and interest the hobby needs for that boost. The way, hopefully when back in the day how it once was. These guys are willing to throw in some very well known pricey coins in as well. Morgans, Peace D., some old Indian Cents...
Whatever that might peek the new collectors interest. Even some well known Youtubers are getting involved as well. Daniel, from CoinHelpU is willing to help. Great idea. Hope it works to boost our hobby in this new generation of kids. The whole plan is to show awareness and to what and how much FUN this hobby can bring. Maybe even to show the investment aspect? I'm willing to contribute as well. How about you guys? What do you think? If really interested to know exactly what I'm trying to explain. You can check out Daniel's stream on this exact topic, what I seen, his YouTube channel is; CoinHelpU.
Thanks guys. :)
https://youtu.be/0XekCZkUKa8

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything that draws young kids into the mix is a long term plus for the hobby. I'm giving both my granddaughters coins for each birthday for this reason.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2021 12:45PM

Their "Target" day is December 18.
    One week before Christmas!
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

All we need now is for the US Mint to join in like they did in 2019 and put some Ws on 2022 quarters.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@derryb said:
    All we need now is for the US Mint to join in like they did in 2019 and put some Ws on 2022 quarters.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they did mention the Mint being involved? Remember, Charles Morgan is pretty big in the business. Who knows, right? :)

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭✭

During my time in retail I met plenty of youngsters getting into the hobby and many of them became recurring customers. At the local shows over the last few years, the YN population has been steadily increasing.

It's not just the youths that should be considered because everyone needs a hobby. Retirees or expectant retirees can be introduced as well.

My contribution in the hobby's growth will predominantly fall into sharing knowledge in an entertaining and educational way while also making custom albums.

I always thought the W quarters were a good idea. The S quarters should have gotten more publicity and maybe a circulation release. Moving forward, I think more denominations should receive limited strikings at West Point and San Francisco, maybe even a secret mintage using the old press at Carson City.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

Yes,

the "W" Quarter Promotion was the BEST the Mint could do to promote coin collecting! ;)<3

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I will follow this closely and will promote it via my contacts in other fields. Some people I work with, while not coin collectors, have already expressed a 'slight interest' in coins. They have asked questions about 'Dad's coins in a box' and a some interest in a couple of coins they put away from change. I encourage them with my responses and elaborate on the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Joey Baby!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, the young numismatists need boosts individually and in numbers. I was at the Baltimore show last Saturday and seriously did not see one person under 25 the WHOLE TIME.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file