Home Precious Metals
Options

mint begins 2022 eagle production, announces final 2021 mintages

derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2021 10:38AM in Precious Metals

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/mint-ends-2021-bullion-coin-production-supplies-mintage-figures

"The 2022 American Eagle coins will also exhibit the “refreshed” obverse designs that more closely reflect sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens’s $20 gold double eagle of 1907 and Adolph A. Weinman’s obverse executed for the 1916 Walking Liberty half dollar."

Let the hunt begin for a 2022 "obverse of 2021" variety. LOL

Edited to add: the 2022 "refreshed" obverse appears to just be a continuation of the "refreshed" obverse introduced on the new 2021 Type 2 American Eagles. Appears the refreshed obverse will be featured on all subsequent obverses until the mint somewhere down the road introduces another remake of the eagles.

Let the hunt continue for a 2021 T2 eagle with the T1 obverse. Also possible that a later production T1 accidentally got the new T2 obverse.

Looks like the larger date on the newer Type II's is the best indicator as well as the addition of the designer's initials under the IGWT on the Type II silver. The date is lower on the T2 AGEs. Many other obvious obverse die differences.

Will any found mule get an "Obverse of Type I" or "Reverse of Type II" label? The presence or absence of the missing edge "tooth" security feature on the T2's will likely be the determining factor of which type was intended.

And for reference, here are the mint's images. Scroll down for high resolution images:

silver Type I bullion on the left, Type II bullion on the right:

Gold Type I bullion on the left, Type II bullion on the right:

High res of same coins.

Type I bullion:

Type II bullion:

Type I bullion:

Type II bullion:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can happen, when transitioning from one design to another, an old die will get pulled and used for a quantity of coins - and may not be noticed, or, if noticed, not all coins captured. So - watch closely collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of gutter. Happy Holidays. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

need lots of gutter, it's raining dollars. B)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been raining dollars pretty much my entire life and the forecast calls for more rain, in fact it will still be raining dollars long after you, I and everyone else on this board are long gone. Might want to invest in a boat. Will probably yield a better return.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2021 1:06PM

Most of us know the difference between a drizzle and a tsunami and how to prepare for that difference.

Money supply: LOL