Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Metal purity and type tester?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to purchase a metal purity and type tester. What do members think of the Sigma Metalytics Precious Metal Verifier? It tests through slab holders. Looking for comments on a good tester that doesn’t break the bank.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask on precious metals forum

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was discussed before and I think one of the suggestions was depending on how much you needed to use it, finding a local jeweler who might work with you. The bullion forum idea is good and perhaps some local in your area stacks bullion and might enjoy helping out and getting to see some coins. Research alot and good luck. I am lucky as there is a local jeweler who is available to help. Things different in rural areas 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    I need to purchase a metal purity and type tester. What do members think of the Sigma Metalytics Precious Metal Verifier? It tests through slab holders. Looking for comments on a good tester that doesn’t break the bank.

How does it test "through slab holders"?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

My question also

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@Herb_T said:

How does it test "through slab holders"?

@Exbrit said:
    My question also

It's all discussed on a recent thread, or you can go to the company website. If I recall, there are two models one of which allegedly works through the slab.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely investigate more before you purchase. The Sigma is not a metals identifier, more a metals confirmation process. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the Sigma and I am very pleased.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2022 8:06PM

Big fan of the Sigma (PMV "original").
    Important to understand that the Sigma will not tell you what you have. For that you need an XRF at 5 times the cost for starters.
    With the Sigma, you select a preset for what you believe the item you have is made from. In silver, that's .9999 pure, .999 pure, sterling silver, 90% American silver, 80% Canadian silver and a few others. For gold, that's .999 pure, 22k gold, 90%, Krugerrands, Gold Eagles, plus settings for platinum, palladium and a few others.

Once you've made your selection, the Sigma will tell you if your item falls within the parameters of that item with a pretty high degree of confidence.

For example, if you've got a stack of generic .999 silver rounds, you would choose the preset for "Silver--99.9% Pure". Then you simply place a round over the bullseye and the Sigma will tell you instantly if the round is .999 pure silver, or if it's outside of the parameters for what you would expect a .999 pure silver round to be.

I've had mine for 5 years +/- and it's always ready, goes with me anywhere, and is very accurate.

**Pros : **
    Robust
    Portable
    Fast
    Lightweight
    Relatively inexpensive ($900)
    Short learning curve

Cons:
    Limited presets (no jewelry-karat gold, for example)
    Somewhat spotty for items in really dense slabs or 2x2s with lots of staples

In the example below, this British sovereign should be 22K or 91.7% pure gold. Sovereigns are one of the most counterfeited gold coins. When this coin is placed on the bullseye it registers outside of the brackets, meaning there is very low confidence this Sovereign is genuine.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any "common" XRF units?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:

It seems that non-portable units can be had for thousands, instead of tens of thousands.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the one they use on Oak Island? ;)

@thebeav said:

@shorecoll said:

It seems that non-portable units can be had for thousands, instead of tens of thousands.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at these, and would like to have one. However, I really cannot justify the investment for the amount of use I would give it. I rarely buy raw gold. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file