Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Deep Dish Low Balls!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2021 10:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It's rare, yet very enjoyable, to see these high relief, deep dish low ball coins!

Post any high relief low balls here!

1921 High Relief Peace Dollar - PCGS PO01 POP 0/32/21,915 NONE LOWER

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That IS cool!
    I have two lowball 1921 Peace yet neither have the obverse rims so prevalent as yours.
    Truly spectacular!

peacockcoins

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pocket piece, you figure?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even through the market failure, food lines...
    Had to be one owner for a long stretch. Cool.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That (OP) is super wear.... Never understood the fascination with these, but collectors will collect. If one is collecting, then go for the best.... and that is a winner. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Are there price guides for low balls? Do they come up for sale often enough to have a track record?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2021 8:32AM

@moursund said:
    Are there price guides for low balls?

The PCGS Price Guide of course :)

Do they come up for sale often enough to have a track record?

PCGS thinks so!

Check out that price movement in the PCGS Price Guide!

• Options

I appreciate the coins that keep their date and mint mark no matter how worn they get, until they are completely smooth

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 8:35AM

@moursund said:
    I appreciate the coins that keep their date and mint mark no matter how worn they get, until they are completely smooth

You'll like this one then!

Interestingly, the PCGS Price Guide has FR02 at $150, which is much less than PO01 at $300!

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 9:22AM

Lowballs . Isn’t it one word.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congratulations!
    They have to be pretty scarce, and they're cool .......

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:

Probably, but who's counting...

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 10:11AM

@moursund said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Probably, but who's counting...

PCGS is!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/low-ball-sets/139

• Options

Does PCGS check for "artificial wear"?

That lowball is totally AW!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

Yes, they do:

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:

@moursund said:

Yes, they do:

Hmm. Any 21st century clad coin with that much wear, pretty much gotta be AW.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 5:45PM

How does a TPG access if a lowball coin is indeed Naturally Worn? OH, a new term in coin collecting? NW as opposed to AW and they can actually give a NW or AW grade? Amusing.........................I guess better than a cricket though.

EDIT: AH, HA - that's what that pocket is for - perfect size for a silver dollar too...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    How does a TPG access if a lowball coin is indeed Naturally Worn? OH, a new term in coin collecting? NW as opposed to AW and they can actually give a NW or AW grade?

AW has certain tell tale patterns which can show if a coin was done in a tumbler, washing machine or other approaches.

Amusing.........................I guess better than a cricket though.

Are you sure? Which one is worth more?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Steven59 said:
    How does a TPG access if a lowball coin is indeed Naturally Worn? OH, a new term in coin collecting? NW as opposed to AW and they can actually give a NW or AW grade?

AW has certain tell tale patterns which can show if a coin was done in a tumbler, washing machine or other approaches.

Well, if you ever crack the slab, worn coin is worth more than cricket fragments.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 11:54PM

@moursund said:

@Zoins said:

@Steven59 said:

Well, if you ever crack the slab, worn coin is worth more than cricket fragments.

Sure, but that's exactly why the cricket is worth more, because it shouldn’t be slabbed!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, my arm is up, hand is flapping with a oh,oh, and a puzzled look on my face.
    I pulled this photo out because I'm not quite 100% on its history. (If I may)
    Looks too me as AW because its a structured pattern of smoothness with no signs of tampering as the edge is also still in tact. Take a look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file