Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Top 10 Coin Websites are led by Forum Members!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 26, 2021 8:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

James Bucki, a columnist for The Numismatist and writer for Greysheet, has come up with a list of the top 10 coin websites:

Top 10 Websites for Coin Collectors and Enthusiasts

What's really amazing about this list, is how many forum members are leading the charge in our hobby!

Much thanks to the following (in alphabetical order):

• Ian Russell
  • Leonard Augsburger
  • Mark Feld
  • Mike Byers
  • Ron Guth

Honorable mention sites:

• Andy Lustig
  • Daniel Carr
  • Jesse Kraft
  • Jonathan Brecher
  • Mike Wallace

Honorable mention dealer sites:

• Bruce Morelan
  • John Agre
  • John Brush

Here's Bucki's Top 10 List (forum members in bold):

1. USMint
  2. PCGS CoinFacts - Founded by @BestGerman
  3. Newman Numismatic Portal - Represented by @Coinosaurus
  4. CoinNews.net
  5. NGC World Price Guide
  6. Heritage Auctions - Represented by @MFeld
  7. Great Collections - Founded by @ianrussell
  8. Mint Error News - Founded by @Byers
  9. American Numismatic Association
  10. Kitco Bullion Prices

Do you agree with this Top 10 list? What would be on your Top 10?

Honorable Mention - General

I generally like this list but I would replace a few with the following:

Honorable Mention - Niche

Honorable Mention - Dealers

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The list is surely going to be 'the top 25' very shortly here :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impossible to answer your question "Do you agree with this Top 10 list? What would be on your Top 10?" without knowing what the criteria is for the current picks. Were these sites chosen for their look, educational content, pretty baubles?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuff

To answer your question how these sites were selected, it is explained in the link provided by Zions.

“ These top coin-related websites were selected based on the content and reliability of the information that they represent. Additionally, you will be able to choose amongst a variety of different types of sites that will give you the best variety of information and knowledge”.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    I'd include John Agre on your list. www.coinraritiesonline.com
    A great dealer in many fine coins and unusual tokens and medals.

John is pretty good to work with

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive group, congratulations to the members here that made it on that list.

Altho, my website is not in the top ten, I do write articles for a publication that is in the top ten ;)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

since the list appears to center around websites that offer coins for sale, like it or not, ebay is easily in the top 10. Ebay likely gets more coin traffic and closes on more coins than any of the named top 10.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited November 18, 2021 6:56PM

@Byers said:
    @coinbuff

To answer your question how these sites were selected, it is explained in the link provided by Zions.

“ These top coin-related websites were selected based on the content and reliability of the information that they represent. Additionally, you will be able to choose amongst a variety of different types of sites that will give you the best variety of information and knowledge”.

Good info Mike! I should have added it to the OP and will do so now.

And congrats for being recognized for MintErrorNews.com! There are so many great coins in it. When I’m looking at a great coin, I’m always pleasantly surprised to see it was featured in MEN. Thanks for the hard work since 2003!

• Options
    edited November 18, 2021 7:57PM

@Zoins

Thanks Zoins!

Mint Error News is in it’s 19th year of publication.

It was nice to see it ranked in the top ten for informative coin websites!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I only visit 3 of those sites on a regular basis, CoinFacts, Heritage, and Great Collections. My own personal top 10 would include this forum, the PCGS Cert lookup page, a couple of favorite dealers, and after that..... who knows?

I haven't visited the US Mint site in a couple of years, I check in with Kitco occasionally, and I go to the ANA site at renewal time, but some of the others I've never been to.

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Interesting. I only visit 3 of those sites on a regular basis, CoinFacts, Heritage, and Great Collections. My own personal top 10 would include this forum, the PCGS Cert lookup page, a couple of favorite dealers, and after that..... who knows?

I haven't visited the US Mint site in a couple of years, I check in with Kitco occasionally, and I go to the ANA site at renewal time, but some of the others I've never been to.

Everyone's list is different so it's good to discuss.

I visit quite a few of the sites. The last few times I visited the US Mint website was to miss out on the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars!

On a more regular basis, I use:

1. PCGS CoinFacts
    2. Heritage Auctions
    3. Great Collections
    4. Mint Error News
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2021 8:25PM

@derryb said:
    since the list appears to center around websites that offer coins for sale

Interesting. That wasn't my conclusion. Out of the top 10, it seems like only Heritage and Great Collections sell to me. And at least for me, I visit Heritage a lot more for researching their archives that for buying coins.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2021 8:27PM

@DCW said:
    I'd include John Agre on your list. www.coinraritiesonline.com
    A great dealer in many fine coins and unusual tokens and medals.

John has a great website for selling and I do love it for that, but his site wouldn't be on my list for this, because this isn't primary a coin selling website list.

For John's site to make it on the list for me, the following two things would be great:

1. Archive of all past coins sold, not just select ones
    2. Photos of the slab reverse like on HA, SB, GC, and eBay.
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

for me: HA, GC, CoinFacts, this forum, VAMworld, and SSDC Registry (a bit biased there)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never follow 'popularity lists' and do not watch award shows or anything like that. I can find sites on my own (and I have been to most of those). I just like to do my own research and form my own opinions. Just term me the 'mellow curmudgeon'. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 19, 2021 8:48AM

@ricko said:
    I never follow 'popularity lists' and do not watch award shows or anything like that. I can find sites on my own (and I have been to most of those). I just like to do my own research and form my own opinions. Just term me the 'mellow curmudgeon'. ;) Cheers, RickO

So which ones are your favorites :)

BlastWhiteCoins.com?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... I do not have a website.... I just ghost through others.... and buy under pseudonym. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZCoins, Thank you for taking your time to post this excellent list!
    It does remind me that I am in the right place with the right people at the right time.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    ZCoins, Thank you for taking your time to post this excellent list!
    It does remind me that I am in the right place with the right people at the right time.

Well said. Where else, possibly what other time and amazing gathering of people 👍🏼

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, if you added a zero (0) to the number of sites, this one (maintained by one of forum members) would nicely fit into the top 100.

He also shares my signature letter.

Lest we not forget . . .

Z

https://privatemintnews.com/

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 7:02AM

@ZoidMeister said:
    Of course, if you added a zero (0) to the number of sites, this one (maintained by one of forum members) would nicely fit into the top 100.

He also shares my signature letter.

Lest we not forget . . .

Z

https://privatemintnews.com/

Thanks! But that's more of a proof of concept prototype now. I'm working updating / revamping it to make it more scalable and easier to update, but that's taking much more time than I hoped!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would add LSCC to that list (Liberty Seated Collector Club), very informative if you are a Liberty seated coin fan.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rather arbitrary list of top 10 IMO. I suspect others could be on the list and also be represented by forum members.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 9:05AM

@TurtleCat said:
    I suspect others could be on the list and also be represented by forum members.

I suspect so too! I even named and thanked a few above not on Bucki's list.

If you know of any other websites represented by forum members please post them so we can thank them! :)

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 8:55AM

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    I would add LSCC to that list (Liberty Seated Collector Club), very informative if you are a Liberty seated coin fan.

Great mention!

I'd like to thank LSCC President @Coinosaurus for participating on the LSCC and posting here! He's already mentioned in the Top 10 since he represents the NNP here!

Do we have any other LSCC writers for the Gobrecht Journal or E-Gobrecht here?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

If you know of any other websites represented by forum members please post them so we can thank them! :)

DLRC immediately comes to mind with John Brush visiting now and then. A few of the Coin World people have been here as well.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2021 2:31PM

@TurtleCat said:

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

DLRC immediately comes to mind with John Brush visiting now and then. A few of the Coin World people have been here as well.

DLRC is a great firm headed up by @JBatDavidLawrence!

Love innovation with NuTilt and the @DLHansen collection showcase!

• Options

Obviously there are many great websites!

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think Legendnumismatics.com should be included in the top 10 or certainly top 15. Laura writes a very interesting weekly report on her perspective of the coin market. She does not always state that the coin market is booming. She does report when the market is sluggish or even hurting.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    i think Legendnumismatics.com should be included in the top 10 or certainly top 15. Laura writes a very interesting weekly report on her perspective of the coin market. She does not always state that the coin market is booming. She does report when the market is sluggish or even hurting.

Like any dealer website, most of the content is marketing which is why I think all should be excluded from the list. I think the list should focus on collecting resources and information. To the extent that auction firms provide pricing archives, I do think those would qualify and Legend Auctions could be considered a candidate.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thant list is rigged No way the CACs is not top 10. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@oreville said:

Like any dealer website, most of the content is marketing which is why I think all should be excluded from the list. I think the list should focus on collecting resources and information. To the extent that auction firms provide pricing archives, I do think those would qualify and Legend Auctions could be considered a candidate.

Legend does have marketing but I think they do pretty well on market reports and would classify their articles in the "news" category.

Legend does have an archive but it's limited by it's lack of search filters and sorting. The funny thing is that I use the Legend Auctions archives much more than the Legend Numismatics archives. I think one reason is that the Legend Auction coins tend to be in the news more.

• Options

@Byers said:
    Obviously there are many great websites!

Agree 100% Mike :+1:

I'm going to add the other ones mentioned with forum participation to the OP :)

• Options

@Zoins

Nice additions that you made.

• Options

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Nice additions that you made.

Thanks Mike! I reworked the OP and I'm making the links nicer.

I've added more forum members and a section for dealer websites. While some sites are not from forum members, the main goal of this post is still to highlight and thank forum members :)

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a common coin collector and sometime dealer, I use the following daily.
    1. This forum
    2. PCGS CoinFacts(so much more information than just pricing)
    3. Great Collections
    4. Heritage

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    As a common coin collector and sometime dealer, I use the following daily.
    1. This forum
    2. PCGS CoinFacts(so much more information than just pricing)
    3. Great Collections
    4. Heritage

Ron Guth really was a pioneer with CoinFacts!

• Options

@Zoins

Ron Guth, former PCGS President, was a pioneer in several ways.

• Options

@Byers said:
    @Zoins

Ron Guth, former PCGS President, was a pioneer in several ways.

That he was! Ron is great and I am glad he's running the The Numismatic Detective Agency now.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2021 12:20PM

Added @MWallace for running SmallDollars.com for which was recognized in the Collectors Weekly "Hall of Fame" for "Best of the Web"! This is a site I use a lot and over many years, so very well deserved Mike!

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/hall-of-fame/view/smalldollars-com

Collectors Weekly Hall of Fame wrote:
    SmallDollars.com

If you're a fan of contemporary U.S. Small Dollar Coins, Mike Wallace's SmallDollars.com is for you. This no-nonsense site is packed with detailed information about Susan B. Anthony, Sacagawea, Native American, and Presidential dollars. You’ll find everything from the legislation that put these coins into circulation to biographies of the designers and their subjects. Prototypes and concept coins are also discussed and illustrated, as are examples of counterfeit Anthony and Sacagawea coins.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Added @MWallace for running SmallDollars.com for which we was recognized in the Collectors Weekly "Hall of Fame" for "Best of the Web"! This is a site I use a lot and over many years, so very well deserved Mike!

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/hall-of-fame/view/smalldollars-com

Thank you John. Very kind of you to post this.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my interest in counterfeits I participate in the FB Group Dark Side!

• Options
    edited November 26, 2021 9:17AM

@burfle23 said:
    For my interest in counterfeits I participate in the FB Group Dark Side!

That's great and I'm glad you do it it!

That being said, is the FB Group like a chat group, like the CU Forums?

This list is focused on people who build and maintain websites, so I'm not sure posting on Facebook would qualify here (but maybe somewhere else?).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file