Home Sports Talk
Options

Scherzer or Verlander?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that Verlander signed a contract with Houston and I got to looking at some numbers. who has had the better career, who will end up with the better career? It is interesting that both guys started with the same team.

K's, WAR are both pretty similar. Verlander is ahead by about 6 or so WAR, he is also a year older than Max.

Scherzers K/9 is much higher. same amount of Ks but it took verlander 450 more innings. Scherzer slightly lower ERA also slightly higher ERA+ lower FIP and lower WHIP

2 cy youngs for verlander, 3 for max.

initially I thought it may be verlander, but after looking a little closer, give me Scherzer.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options

forgot to add, Verlander will be coming off Tommy John surgery next season. you never know what to expect that first year back. he will, no doubt, be on an innnings restriction. then the following season will be his age 40 year.

I think Max will finish stronger.

• Options
    SonnyDSonnyD Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Yet again we've overpaid for overage in this town ...

Ounce by ounce the stack grows .

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

early in their careers I would have taken Verlander but in the later years I think Scherzer has been the better overall.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scherzer, because of the eyes

Or Verlander because of his wife

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Before he blew out his arm I would have picked Verlander. Now I think you have to go with Scherzer for who will end up with the better career.

Robb

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Add Kershaw and Grienke and you have four that are really hard to choose between. It's just a guess that Scherzer has enough left in the tank to become first among near equals.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Add Kershaw and Grienke and you have four that are really hard to choose between. It's just a guess that Scherzer has enough left in the tank to become first among near equals.

that is a good point. grienke is at the end, and it appears Kershaw is on his way out even though he is only 33. he lost the heater at 30

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verlander just ended a 3-year contract that paid him $94 million, and he played in ONE GAME in the past two years. the Astros liked that enough to sign him to a one year contract for $25 million.

Verlander may/may not be a great pitcher, but he seems to be some kind of financial savant to have that take place.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, for one, will be very interested to see Justin Verlander pitch without the spider tack that extended his career. He was looking finished at the end in Detroit and given all the cheating going on in Houston at the time and his clear resurgence there, I just wonder if he’ll be able to succeed when he returns.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Max