Home Sports Talk
Options

Naughty or Nice?

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've met a few professional athletes in my time. Some real nice, and others we'll just say not very nice at all. My 2 are Jeff Francoeuer in the nice category. Super cool guy signs tons of autographs for the fans and engages with the fans like he's just a regular guy. Also an honorable nice mention to Nick Swisher as well. The not so nice for me without a doubt is Kellen Winslow Sr., I advise to not approach him for an autograph. Who are some of your examples?

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2021 4:18PM

Too many.......the worst was The Yankee Clipper.....the best....Teddy Ballgame.....TED WILLIAMS. WHAT A NICE GUY.......Don't believe what you read in the papers......it's all upside down!!!!!!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Too many.......the worst was The Yankee Clipper.....the best Teddy Ballgame.....TED WILLIAMS. WHAT A NICE GUY.......Don't believe what you read in the papers......it's all upside down!!!!!!

Wow! That must have been so awesome to meet Mr Willams!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Too many.......the worst was The Yankee Clipper.....the best....Teddy Ballgame.....TED WILLIAMS. WHAT A NICE GUY.......Don't believe what you read in the papers......it's all upside down!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/N-wECiv9_As

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Ric Flair at a signing and he was super nice, this was in the mid 90s and I was a teenager, he shook my hand and he had a nice strong and firm handshake, he almost crushed my little chicken wing.

• Options

Jay Cutler was in Vail, and a fan asked him for an autograph and Jay Cutler told the fan, "if you chug an entire pitcher of beer, I'll give you an autograph." Here's the scene on video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2YpkAl09J6o

• Options

Tommy Lasorda was a good man. Dodger games were lost sometimes because he would put in a player just to boost the players confidence. He was a father figure. Just the look in his eyes, without saying a word, said everything. 😢

• Options

Vince Wilfork and Ed Reed. Met them each a couple times at Canes Fest events in their college days. Both super nice to all the fans especially Mr Wilfork!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I met Ric Flair at a signing and he was super nice, this was in the mid 90s and I was a teenager, he shook my hand and he had a nice strong and firm handshake, he almost crushed my little chicken wing.

Whooooooooooooo!!

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@doubledragon said:

Whooooooooooooo!!

The nature boy!

• Options
    edited November 17, 2021 8:19AM

@LandrysFedora said:

Wow! That must have been so awesome to meet Mr Willams!

Yes.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ray Bourque and Jim Rice were both extremely nice when I saw the in public.

I was at a local bar and Ray Bourque was sitting nearby with a few buddies, it was a slow Sunday night with a small band, I said “just want to say hi to you, not going to bother you but cheers to a great career” he said thank you and showed me his Stanley cup ring on his hand and said he was happy he got it, I said “I bet but that wedding ring is a lot heavier than that cup ring I’m thinking” he laughed and said “Your right” we had a quick laugh.

Another time I’m in Dunks and big Jim Rice is right in front of me, I said “Hi Big Jim how you doing”. He was nice and thanked me. A few minutes later after he got his coffee he walked by me and patted my shoulder and said “Have a nice day”

Nothing crazy but genuinely nice and we’re not bothered by me saying hi.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost all professional hockey players are salt of the earth. Interacted with hundreds of them.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had the fortune of meeting many baseball HOFers. had some great conversations with Boggs, Pedro, Frank Thomas, pete rose, Piazza, doc gooden, strawberry, eric davis, bob feller and many more.

i found frank robinson to be on the sour side and willie mays to be very impersonal and off putting.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

forgot to add that Robin Yount was a great guy to talk to as well.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I have had the fortune of meeting many baseball HOFers. had some great conversations with Boggs, Pedro, Frank Thomas, pete rose, Piazza, doc gooden, strawberry, eric davis, bob feller and many more.

i found frank robinson to be on the sour side and willie mays to be very impersonal and off putting.

I’ve heard Willie Mays was a complete jerk. No firsthand experience though

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I shouldn't tell this story, but.....you guys are sports nuts so.....here goes.....I was in a room one time at an All Star game. Baseball HOF guys. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant was also there... ALERT!.......DON'T MESS WITH HER! She asked The Yankee Clipper to autograph her program. The Clipper said, "You got a pen?.....I don't carry that sh*t with me."......... I sensed trouble! BIG TIME! She was just about to rip into the Clipper for cussing at her when Don Newcombe stepped up, rolled his eyes and handed her his pen. The Clipper signed the program. The Lovely One handed Mr. Newcomb back his pen and then she threw the program on the floor.......she was only a teenager....... WHAT A BABE!......DON'T MESS WITH HER!!!!!!

Why do you say that you shouldn't tell this story?

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Almost all professional hockey players are salt of the earth. Interacted with hundreds of them.

m

I don't know hockey at all, but I have heard this same statement from many different people.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Met a few thru card show signings. Pete Rose was all business. Wouldn't stop for a pic with
    a you or your kid. Just keep 'em moving. Bob Gibson was rude. Lou Brock was friendly and would
    stop for a pic. The "Mick" and Joe D. were friendly. Yogi was a jerk. Koufax and Eric Davis were
    class acts. Even though I'm not a Braves fan, Dale Murphy was friendly and took time to speak
    with the kids.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Met a few thru card show signings. Pete Rose was all business. Wouldn't stop for a pic with
    a you or your kid. Just keep 'em moving. Bob Gibson was rude. Lou Brock was friendly and would
    stop for a pic. The "Mick" and Joe D. were friendly. Yogi was a jerk. Koufax and Eric Davis were
    class acts. Even though I'm not a Braves fan, Dale Murphy was friendly and took time to speak
    with the kids.

I had the same experience with Eric Davis. funny guy who liked to joke around. also Dale Murphy is a very personable guy.

never got to meet Mick or Joe D. I have had a half dozen interactions with Pete Rose though. every time he was very friendly and generous with his time. Perhaps you caught him on a bad day?

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 When I met Pete, it was a year or two before the allegations and eventual
    banishment occurred. Never rude, but it was all business. No stopping for pics, answer
    a question, hand shake or even respond to a compliment. He even had signs up to this
    effect. Since the banishment, it is in his best interest to be polite and friendly.

• Options

Me and my wife have spotted Johnny Bench a couple times at a local Dunkin Donuts down here in Florida where we live. The first time we were in line right behind him and my wife recognized him first, I was in total awe! I was standing a few feet away from arguably the greatest catcher in baseball history! My wife hushed me back and advised that we should respect his privacy to which I did. Then when Mr Bench was going to pay for his purchase my wife jumps in and offers to pay his bill and starts yakking with him! He gracefully thanked her and said it wasn't necessary. So much for respecting his privacy. lol! Anyway he spoke with us for a few minutes on his way out, very nice guy. He didn't have to stop and chat with us but he did.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

Have you ever met PK Subban? Being a Habs fan I still follow his career even though he's long gone from Montreal. He always struck me as a genuinely nice guy. I believe he still upholds many charities in Montreal also. Seems like a class act!