Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

John Quincy Adams - Presidential Coin Collector!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2021 4:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This thread is to share coins with the John Quincy Adams provenance.

As US Presidents go, I think he has one of the most amazing collections but that's mostly an assumption right now. I haven't seen too many of his coins, so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread for him.

Here's one to get us started. Please post any JQA coins and discussion here!

1648 Great Britain Siege of Pontefract - Shilling - 1648 - Charles I (1625-49) - PCGS EF-40 - Ex. John Quincy Adams; Massachusetts Historical Society

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.... With all my trips to the U.K., I have never come across one of those coins. I do not have any JQA coins. The shape is unique, is there a reason the design is not the usual 'round' shape?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 16, 2021 5:18AM

@ricko said:
    The shape is unique, is there a reason the design is not the usual 'round' shape?

Good question! I'm not sure, but it's certainly distinctive. Stack's indicates some catalog numbers so it's worth looking it up!

Stack's Bowers wrote:
    LOT DESCRIPTION
    GREAT BRITAIN. Siege of Pontefract. Shilling, 1648. Charles I (1625-49). PCGS EF-40 Secure Holder.

S-3148; North-2646; KM-379. RARE issue with diamond shaped flan and sword to right. Well struck with good definition of the details and moderate even wear. Lovely old cabinet tone with a excellent provenance.

• Options

@Zoins.... Thanks, I will try some research - seems as if there should be some justification for such a departure. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 16, 2021 5:26AM

@ricko said:
    @Zoins.... Thanks, I will try some research - seems as if there should be some justification for such a departure. Cheers, RickO

CoinFacts shows another shape :)

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/shilling-1547-1661/1648-shil-s-3148/4863?sn=655438

• Options

OK... Now it is getting weird.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 12:12AM

Here's another coin from the collection of President John Quincy Adams.

42 BC Denarius - Rome Mint
    provenance: President John Quincy Adams

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2021 1:05AM

Q. Antonius Balbus AR Serrate Denarius 83-82 B.C. Rome Mint Obv. Laureate head of Jupiter, S.C behind; R below chin. Rev. Victory in quadriga r., holding palm-branch and wreath In exergue Q.ANTO.BALB / PR deaccessioned from the Massachusetts Historical Society's John Q. Adams Collection in 1972

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been told that he is in my family tree. I think it would be cool to have something with his provenance on it!

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Very nice.... With all my trips to the U.K., I have never come across one of those coins. I do not have any JQA coins. The shape is unique, is there a reason the design is not the usual 'round' shape?? Cheers, RickO

It's a siege coin, so it was likely made in haste. The quicker the better. The need for any coinage superseded the need for round coinage.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options

@JesseKraft said:

@ricko said:

It's a siege coin, so it was likely made in haste. The quicker the better. The need for any coinage superseded the need for round coinage.

Very cool Jesse!

Here's some info on these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_money_(Newark)

Wikipedia said:
    Siege money or money of necessity was minted in Newark-on-Trent in 1646 during the third and final siege (1645–1646) — the last year of the First English Civil War. To meet need for money, the besieged Royalists set up a mint that manufactured lozenge-shaped coins — half-crowns, shillings, ninepences, and sixpences.

Royalist noblemen and gentlemen freely gave their flagons and drinking cups, and these were fashioned into the lozenge-shaped coins. On some of them it is possible to see the pattern of the cup and salver from which they were hastily cut.[1]

The coins bore on the obverse a Royal crown between C R, and the value in Roman numerals; and on the reverse OBS Newark (OBS is an abbreviation of obsidium, Latin for siege), and the year 1645 or 1646, in which they were coined.[1]

The year 1645 is confusing because all the coins were probably struck in 1646. Those struck with the year 1645 would have been struck before 25 March (the official start of the year Old Style) and those from 25 March with 1646.[1][a]

• Options

@Zoins ... Thanks for the further information.... Quite interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice if P GS had put the pedigree on the label. Kind of an important omission, don't you think?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 1:28PM

@DCW said:
    It would be nice if PCGS had put the pedigree on the label. Kind of an important omission, don't you think?

It’s up to the submitter. Some submitters even ask for existing pedigrees to be removed so it’s harder to trace old prices among other things.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would someone really want a Presidential Pedigree removed from the label?
    How much value is lost when a decision like that is made?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited December 29, 2021 1:45PM

@DCW said:
    Would someone really want a Presidential Pedigree removed from the label?
    How much value is lost when a decision like that is made?

I wouldn’t be surprised when provenances like James Stack and others are lost.

There was a discussion with Ron @BestGerman a while back.

But I personally agree with you. JQA is a great pedigree!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best I can do here :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file