Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1974 pennies

Hello,
I received a coin collection from my In-laws I noticed 1 box in particular it was full of rolled 1974 pennies in plastic tubes with the tops sealed.
the collector who left them to me is no longer with us, to ask why these particular coins.
So my question is what was special about the 1974 penny that made him collect and save this certain year, I have researched and can't really find nothing concrete.
this is just the beginning of the collection looking forward to see what else is there.
If anyone has any insight to this coin I would appreciate it.
Thank You
Coalmover

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting coins by the roll was very popular in the early-mid 60s and many collectors from that time period stuck with it. My Uncle started collecting then and would save new rolls if the bank had them. I still have a roll of 1968S, 1974, and 1977 cents he gave me.

My guess is they are nothing special.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing of much note. Just a roll of cents saved because someone thought they would become valuable. They didn't. They might bring a small premium at best.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few rolls of those 74's as they came from the bank
    They're nothing special.
    Also, don't attempt to clean any of the other coins in the collection.

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are copper, so they're worth a couple of cents each anyway.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone in the family born that year?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Thank You everyone
    no one was born that year. He sure did put a lot of effort on getting these and rolling them himself.
    just found a few jarfuls of wheat pennies he left looking forward to going thru them.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Copper prices were rising in '74 and the U.S. Treasury was considering alternatives for striking cents in the future. (Remember the 1974 experimental trial strikes?)
    Perhaps the public began squirreling away the new cents in hopes of making some $$.
    1974 was the last year of the San Francisco Mint issued circulation strike Lincoln Cents.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coalmover.... Welcome aboard.... Unless you have a '74 Proof or '74S in those rolls, or grades around MS67, likely they have no significant numismatic premium. Let us know what else you find in the collection. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Forum! Cool first post... as others have already indicated, there's nothing hugely special about the date unless there's a high grade piece, a proof issue, or an S mintmark.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

See if you have any aluminum ones like this :)

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '74 comes as a large date and a small date. The small date is only a little less common but none appear in mint sets where most of the Gems for the date originate. Since many of the BU rolls (and mint set) coins have tarnished the availability of the small date and especially nice small dates is not that great.

The coins might have been saved because they were sm dts.

There's still remarkably little interest in the types caused by the expected change over to aluminum when the cost of making the penny first started up over one cent each.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Thank You everyone for the great information.
    If I find anything interesting I will share my finds.

Coalmover

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...
    I recently found a lot of these uncirculated 1974 cents in mixed rolls at my local bank. I think I already accumulated a few rolls myself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file