Home Q & A Forum
Options

2006 dime ground down PMD??

CountrybountyCountrybounty Posts: 14
edited November 12, 2021 10:46AM in Q & A Forum

I was goin thru a few rolls of dimes I got from out of town and this one definitely stood out a little. Just wondering if anyone's seen something like this b4 and what could have "polished????" It down like this. Appreciate yalls time haven't quite seen anything like this b4

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely damaged after it left the mint. I can't say for certain what caused the damage, but can say with confidence that it cannot occur during the minting process

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I didn't kno for sure but I kinda figured it had to b pmd thanks for takin a few to verify that

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found numerous cents, dimes, and quarters that are in the same condition when searching bank rolls. It's gotta be PMD. It seems like someone is trying destroy coins in their HS shop class.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Looks almost double die ground or somethin with the circulating scratch marks and center being virtually unscathed. Here's 2 more I found a while back I forgot about

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is double die ground? Part of the minting or die making process?

Your coin is damaged, nothing more. For a coin to an error/variety, you should be able to explain how it occurred during the minting or die making processes. What you're seeing COULD NOT occur at the mint.

If you plan to search for errors and varieties, knowing and understanding the minting process will save you from wasting a lot of time. Here are links to get you started.

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

US Mint Video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=mqPvKxJXC_Y&feature=emb_title

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

I'm a machinist and we order precision ground material for certain jobs and I was told it's double die ground. Wasn't referring tk minting process at all sorry for the vague comment. thanks for the links fer sure haven't quite got to that point in my research but have been meaning to take the time to figure it all out so thanks. U Saved me many hours piecing it together website by website lmao

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh the things one can do to a coin in a machine shop. lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...