Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Uniface Half Dollar

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 8, 2021 9:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

(1964) Half Dollar - Uniface, Double Struck Error - PCGS MS66

This is an interesting error. How does the uniface part of this happen? What was this side of the coin struck against? Was it a flat die, another planchet, or another coin?

From the photo, it seems like there’s a Kennedy impression so could this be a struck-thru grease instead of uniface?

Is there any known provenance for this?

Comments

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zions

Yes, this mint error is a nice combination of unusual errors…

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lesson learned: The grade is determined by the struck side (reverse) and not the error side (obverse)?

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited November 8, 2021 9:55AM

@FredWeinberg said:
    Actually, it's a Uniface OBV., not Rev.

So it’s an error label too!

There were two unstruck planchets in the collar when the dies came down. One has a mostly normal obv. and a uniface reverse, and this is the bottom piece - a normal reverse, w/ a uniface Obv. strike, and a second strike 95% Off Center.

Two planchets makes sense given what it looks like.

Using “uniface” to describe this is interesting because when the term is used for die trials or medals, usually one side is against a flat die, so the faces are completely flat, not mostly flat. Other thing is that “uniface” for die trials is intentional but an unintentional error here.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to comprehend that the other coin involved in this conflagration is still out there somewhere.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    It's hard to comprehend that the other coin involved in this conflagration is still out there somewhere.

Pete

Not necessarily. Mint could have found one and not the other

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The deal that came from had a few 2-pc Sets
    of Kennedy's.......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a pair of Brit 1965 pennies that were struck together.
    Question for the Master Fred: if the reverse is the known (struck) side and the obverse is unknown in that it is blank, would not the identifier be the primary identified side (reverse)?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite sure of your question -

Obv. 'unknown' ?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have described that as struck through a capped obverse die, but in the end it's the same sort of explanation, another planchet got between the coin in the OP and the obverse die.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing that error had some help at the mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I don't understand the logic that leads to this coin being described as "Uniface Obverse". Uni means one and face is synonymous with side as with a polygon (imagine the coin is a short cylinder). This coin has one face, the reverse, therefore it is Uniface Reverse. If it was intentionally struck as such, it would be certainly called Uniface Reverse, as it bears the reverse image. On such an intentionally uniface coin, it could be said the Reverse design is now functionally the obverse of the object and the reverse is blank, but it doesn't change the fact that objectively the Reverse is what is displayed on the uniface coin. How does being an error lead the description to contradict logic? I contend that uniface doesn't describe the circumstance by which one face is blank, but rather that only one side bears a design, and the proper way to describe it is by saying which side is depicted. Being blank is inoperative, the struck side is what makes the object more than just a piece of metal. I suppose if "it is what it is" I'll just have to accept the logical fallacy... Thank you!

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, why the coppery/brown color on the OBV?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    I would have described that as struck through a capped obverse die, but in the end it's the same sort of explanation, another planchet got between the coin in the OP and the obverse die.

Sean Reynolds

another wording i've seen is late-stage brockage but maybe that refers to the top piece and not the bottom?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@FredWeinberg said:
    The deal that came from had a few 2-pc Sets of Kennedy's.......

Can you associate this piece and the deal with any provenance? Did you handle this piece and the deal?

• Options
    edited November 9, 2021 9:54AM

@seanq said:
    Sean Reynolds

Struck thru seems to work. I think of this particular piece as “struck-thru planchet” ;) I’m not sure what the other piece would be called here, the same?

Uniface seems like a strange way to describe this since the face isn’t completely flat.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    Actually, it's a Uniface OBV., not Rev.

There were two unstruck planchets in the collar
    when the dies came down. One has a mostly
    normal obv. and a uniface reverse, and this is the
    bottom piece - a normal reverse, w/ a uniface Obv.
    strike, and a second strike 95% Off Center.

Interesting. I thought "uniface reverse" meant that only one side has the design, and it's the reverse, not that the reverse design was the one that was missing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really interesting error, and it would be great to have the other coin that would have been part of the problem. Would look great in a dual holder. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Really interesting error, and it would be great to have the other coin that would have been part of the problem. Would look great in a dual holder. Cheers, RickO

Yes, but if you framed them and hung them on your wall, would you display the error sides or the properly struck sides?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

@moursund.... The error sides would be displayed, but my frame would have the hinged bottom so the display could be lowered and the 'good' sides viewed. I prepare for such things. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @moursund.... The error sides would be displayed, but my frame would have the hinged bottom so the display could be lowered and the 'good' sides viewed. I prepare for such things. Cheers, RickO

Or I suppose you could use mirrors to display both sides at once...

• Options

That would be a poor reflection of reality.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm guessing that error had some help at the mint.

Why? I see no reason to doubt it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2021 10:51AM

As per Brocmitchell, that is what I was trying to say.
    In other sciences they would have used the reverse as the primary identifier and therefore it would def. have been uniface reverse strike - as PCGS indicated on the slab.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file