Home Sports Talk

Warm or cold weather - Which do you prefer?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's starting to get cold where I live, last night I went on a walk and had to break out the hooded sweat shirt, my hands were going numb. Which do you prefer, warmer weather or colder?

Comments

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

I prefer warm weather. 85 degrees is much closer to my body temperature than 20 degrees is.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a golfer, so

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're having to run the heat all night long, the heating bills are brutal, the power company loves it, the fat cats are getting rich on my dime, I'd like to slash their tires!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uhhk tough decision. Hot and muggy weather literally sucks everything out of you but single digits with wind is nothing nice either. In New England we deal with both.

If forced to chose I will take the heat

I'll go to war with the power company if they want it, there prices for heat got to be ridiculous and I went to war with them. I did it before and I'll do it again. I wore a coat around all day long and slept in it too!

I made hot cocoa by candlelight!

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having grown up in many bitter winters in New England, I'll take the warm weather.

I think when you're a kid, snow and cold don't seem to mean much. I vividly remember spending hours outside in freezing weather, but enjoyed my toboggan and sled. What I really HATED was the snowplow dude who'd always go about a foot or so closer to the end of our driveway (which I had to shovel), and put a mini mountain of white crap there that if you didn't get after it fairly soon, it would harden into a 3-4 foot wall a tank couldn't get through.

Paul...you know what I'm talkin' about!!

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Having grown up in many bitter winters in New England, I'll take the warm weather.

I think when you're a kid, snow and cold don't seem to mean much. I vividly remember spending hours outside in freezing weather, but enjoyed my toboggan and sled. What I really HATED was the snowplow dude who'd always go about a foot or so closer to the end of our driveway (which I had to shovel), and put a mini mountain of white crap there that if you didn't get after it fairly soon, it would harden into a 3-4 foot wall a tank couldn't get through.

Paul...you know what I'm talkin' about!!

I absolutely can relate Al!

As a kid the snow doesn’t bother you as much because you don’t have to go to work.

Trudging down your stairs into the brutal
    Cold, trudging through the snow to your car, debating if your vehicle can back out of the end of the driveway where the snow plow blocked it with snow, scraping the car windows, getting in when it’s an ice box, failing to get out of the driveway and trudging back out into the snow to grab a shovel and dig yourself out.

Good times 🙄

I can stay warm, I've got my ways!

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I can stay warm, I've got my ways!

DD's answer to forced air heating.
    ✌️

Have a nice day

DD, have your wife give you a Dutch Oven.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:

A big cooking pot? That's not a bad idea, I could use it to make chicken and dumplings. 🤔

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Growing up and still living in south Florida I will take the heat any day of the week! The snow looks beautiful in pictures but I'll take a hard pass on it.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

can't wait for double d's wife to give him a dutch oven

methinks he's gonna be in for a big surprise

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

You can hear the beast coming, but you can't stop him.

edited November 4, 2021 2:56PM

@Alfonz24 said:
    I am a golfer, so

Is that a real picture of you and a buddy or a random internet pic???

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

Heat

@perkdog said:

@Alfonz24 said:
    I am a golfer, so

Is that a real picture of you and a buddy or a random internet pic???

random, even though I have played in 15 degree weather without snow. Drives went forever but it was like hitting the parking lot on approach shots.

edited November 4, 2021 3:13PM

@doubledragon said:

@Alfonz24 said:

A big cooking pot? That's not a bad idea, I could use it to make chicken and dumplings. 🤔

search Dutch Oven under slang definition. And hope you do not get dumplings.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dutch oven can also be when the driver rips one and locks the master switch on the power windows.

Have a nice day
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm that crazy idiot you see in shorts & a Tshirt shoveling out the walkway in the middle of winter, I'll take the the cold over the heat anyday. The colder it gets you could always just add a layer but when its hot as hell out and muggy, that is just extremely uncomfortable. Here in NE we usually get both ends of the spectrum so IMO it doesn't really get unbearable.

edited November 4, 2021 3:53PM

and DD, just remember if your wife gives you a Dutch oven...pics or it never happened,preferably video.

Ok, I just looked up this dutch oven business, and it brings back memories, unpleasant memories of high school events that were very stressful.

@doubledragon said:
    Ok, I just looked up this dutch oven business, and it brings back memories, unpleasant memories of high school events that were very stressful.

That kid better be careful, that fart could easily turn into a shart. >:)

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

That kid better be careful, that fart could easily turn into a shart. >:)

Very nicely done! 😂😂😂😂

@doubledragon said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Cooler weather, yes. I don't think anyone can 'prefer' cold weather - if you do, you have no idea what cold is.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I can see where this thread went off the rails, but from warm vs. cold weather to where it is now is a bit of a stretch.

And personally, if I have to live in an area for a long time, I prefer it not get ridiculously hot.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will take the cold every day and twice on Sunday. That is why I live in the great state of Maine. Bring on the cold. I can always add layers, but there is a limit to what I can take off.

I remember about 10-15 years ago that there was a day they had to cancel schools because of the cold. it was so cold, the condensation in the electrical transformers was freezing and causing them to blow.

I think it got down to 36 below that day. It really wasnt too bad because the wind was not blowing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now the snow.
    That can be a little excessive...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take the cold. Did xmas in Iceland a few years ago...committed, ha!

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a tennis player, so I prefer warmer weather.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:
    I am a tennis player, so I prefer warmer weather.

You would never know it by your handle lol

Craig44, I don't mind some snow but that is a crazy amount!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm liking warm weather................

Cold weather.........

Warm weather........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

Spring skiing is hard to beat. Nothing like skiing in shorts comfortably. Of course, if there isn’t that to do, I would take a warmer climate. BUT NOT a humid climate like say Miami mid July.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flux said:

[ BUT NOT a humid climate like say Miami mid July.]

"No doubt - Heaven forbid" ............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• FluxFlux Posts: 149 ✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@Flux said:

[ BUT NOT a humid climate like say Miami mid July.]

"No doubt - Heaven forbid" ............

When you are in the mountains, you’re closer to heaven, forbid.

I much prefer to work up a sweat, not have it hit me as soon as I step out of the hotel.

@VikingDude said:
    Cooler weather, yes. I don't think anyone can 'prefer' cold weather - if you do, you have no idea what cold is.

Actual temp was -28 yesterday morning with wind chill -44. Lowest actual temp in the area (ND & northern MN) was -42

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:

@VikingDude said:

Actual temp was -28 yesterday morning with wind chill -44. Lowest actual temp in the area (ND & northern MN) was -42

Yikes! That is insanely cold! Was 80 where I live here in Florida today, I just can't even imagine experiencing that! Stay warm and safe sir.
    Robert

I've lived in both. You probably have to define COLD and WARM.

Cold in New England and other northern states can be incredibly nasty and bitter. Warm, OTOH, is different in the South vs New England in the Spring. My memories of cold in New England wasn't so bad, but still, cold is cold. I walked a couple of miles to school in bitter cold, but you just dress for it. My memories of living in the South for many years is HORRIBLE in July and August. The humidity and heat is nasty, but the rest is pretty livable in nice.

So, for me, I'll take warm. I think the sweet spot state is Tennessee. This state will give you almost perfect weather, Fall colors, Winter a few inches of snow once in a while, beautiful Spring weather, and very bearable Summers. The tax structure is pretty decent as well, no sales tax. Its a very pastoral state, with rolling hills where you can easily disappear with about 5 acres of land. Nashville proper is crazy, as is Memphis. Knoxville is a big college town, but the Smoky Mountains are nearby just to the east, not to mention excellent trout fishing.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Warm, cold, windy, whatever. Just another day in Kansas.
    Last Dec. 15 and this was no storm, just wind

Drove from Atlanta to Salt Lake City years ago. I remember Kansas as being flatter than a pan cake. I could see the Colorado mountains slowly but steadily rising ahead of me. Farms, lots and lots of farms.
    Crazy winds!!!

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would prefer warm. I've lived in the Baltimore area for 29 years but spent 30 years before that in Brooklyn, NY. Being an outdoors person, I wouldn't want it too hot in summer but I can certainly do without Mid-Atlantic winters. I'd consider moving to Tennessee or the Carolinas for a slightly warmer climate without Florida summer heat.

Daniel