Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where To Find Free Coin Appraisal Websites???

jramcoinsjramcoins Posts: 2
edited November 3, 2021 5:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Do you have a coin or a coin collection that you are curious about? Do you want to know its value? Are you looking for a free service but you don't know where to start? If so, you can go to Coin Appraisal Services to help you get started!

If there is a good, free appraisal service missing on the website, please list it in the comments below!

Thank You!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Jim703Jim703 Posts: 23 ✭✭

Nothing is free.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion but not always a winner 🤨

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jramcoinsjramcoins Posts: 2
    edited November 3, 2021 6:08PM

It's not spam. It's a site to help people find appraisal services. The information listed on Coin Appraisal Services are from the websites that are listed above them. It's not a marketing scam. You don't pay for anything nor sign up for anything. That's up to you, the viewer, to decide whether or not to pursue an appraisal service that costs.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

The approach here is wrong

It tastes spammy

How about ::

“I’m trying to make a database where people can look in their area for free appraisals. I’m taking names to populate the lists. I’d appreciate any help you guys can offer.”

Less spammy

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jramcoins said:
    It's not spam. It's a site to help people find appraisal services. The information listed on Coin Appraisal Services are from the websites that are listed above them. It's not a marketing scam. You don't pay for anything nor sign up for anything. That's up to you, the viewer, to decide whether or not to pursue an appraisal service that costs.

It's spam.

Your first post is a commercial site selling medals that has such really useful information like "Heritage will do free appraisals on coins being submitted for auction."

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    The approach here is wrong

It tastes spammy

How about ::

“I’m trying to make a database where people can look in their area for free appraisals. I’m taking names to populate the lists. I’d appreciate any help you guys can offer.”

Less spammy

How about taking off the medal sale links that are every other line on the less than helpful list?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jramcoins said:
    Do you have a coin or a coin collection that you are curious about? Do you want to know its value? Are you looking for a free service but you don't know where to start? If so, you can go to Coin Appraisal Services to help you get started!

If there is a good, free appraisal service missing on the website, please list it in the comments below!

Thank You!!!

Spam. Reported.

You get what you pay for. Anyone who signs up for a free internet appraisal is falling for a marketing scam.

It looks like spam, but calling it a “marketing scam” seems unfounded at this point.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jramcoins said:

Thank You!!!

Spam. Reported.

You get what you pay for. Anyone who signs up for a free internet appraisal is falling for a marketing scam.

It looks like spam, but calling it a “marketing scam” seems unfounded at this point.

That was meant as a separate thought. The website itself is simply a retail sales channel masquerading as an information site. I shall clarify.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jramcoins said:

Thank You!!!

If you want to know where to get "free coin appraisals" just type it into Google, Bing, Duck Duck Go or any other search engine. You'll get a more comprehensive list without having to sort through the 2024 Revenge Tour.

To be fair, that is one of the suggestions on the site. I for one wouldn’t have thought to do a search for what I’m searching for without this sound advice.

“If none of the above websites are good options for you and perhaps you just want to physically walk into a shop and talk to an expert face to face, please put “Coin Appraisers Near Me” in your search bar and several mom and pop shops MIGHT appear. I did this and 4 popped up within 30 minutes from me. I had no idea!”

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jramcoins said:

Thank You!!!

If you want to know where to get "free coin appraisals" just type it into Google, Bing, Duck Duck Go or any other search engine. You'll get a more comprehensive list without having to sort through the 2024 Revenge Tour.

To be fair, that is one of the suggestions on the site. I for one wouldn’t have thought to do a search for what I’m searching for without this sound advice.

“If none of the above websites are good options for you and perhaps you just want to physically walk into a shop and talk to an expert face to face, please put “Coin Appraisers Near Me” in your search bar and several mom and pop shops MIGHT appear. I did this and 4 popped up within 30 minutes from me. I had no idea!”

Yes, but I provided the advice directly on the forum without trying to sell anyone anything...

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The website did nothing to help me appraise my coins. It appears to be a site that provides profit to the site owner by paid advertising from the links in the site or a referral fee for every visit to one of the links from the site.

I'll stick with the best free appraisal service available - ebay completed sales. It tells me what buyers are actually paying at the moment.

Yup. I hate those sites! One can go crazy clicking links to an endless string of these useless sites.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

Yup. I hate those sites! One can go crazy clicking links to an endless string of these useless sites.

lots of money is often made by someone when they get others to click

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jramcoins said:

Thank You!!!

Yes, but I provided the advice directly on the forum without trying to sell anyone anything...

But you’re just some random person posting on a message board. Why should I trust you, especially when I can instead get that advice from a very well designed and certainly legitimate, no nonsense website?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    The website did nothing to help me appraise my coins. It appears to be a site that provides profit to the site owner by paid advertising from the links in the site or a referral fee for every visit to one of the links from the site.

I'll stick with the best free appraisal service available - ebay completed sales. It tells me what buyers are actually paying at the moment.

You can. Most of us can. A lot of the general public especially our heirs will have no idea of what they have. You see that all the time with new posters here.

None of which is to say that the website in the OP is valuable.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jramcoins... Welcome aboard.... As you can see, critics abound on this site. Also, experts in every niche of numismatics who offer inputs freely. Thanks for the link. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin facts is excellent on certified coins, it shows you what coins are selling for at auction, I'm not sure if they are still including ebay. Ebay will go back 90 days on sales and dealers often check there before buying or selling. Keep in mind that auction fees can easily be over 10% and up to and over 20%.

This discussion has been closed.