Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Morgan Collection Part 9 (1886-S to 1887/6-O)

david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright, onto box 3! There are some tougher coins in here, particularly if one is looking for toned or PL examples.

1886-S Morgans look just like their earlier year siblings and can be found frosty with ease but mirrored examples are tougher. I found it moderately difficult to locate this one. These coins (85-91 S mint Morgans) are all significantly more expensive than 78-82 and are found far less frequently too. This one has a solid PL reverse but the obv just misses the designation. It is, however, hammered and very clean. It’s in an old holder and could go 65 today.

1886-S MS64 CAC

1887 - just like the 1886. Many great coins from which to choose. DMPLs and toners are easy to locate. I have two toners (but sold my DMPL) and although I prefer the toning on my other coin, this one is still awesome and a higher grade.

1887 MS66+ CAC

1887/6. The more common and the more noticeable of the two overdates for this year. Still a really hard coin to find nice and with mirrors. Much tougher than the 79-S Rev 78 overall but still a lot cheaper.

1887/6 MS64PL

1887-O. A surprisingly tough New Orleans date but a few DMPLs come to auction each year, and many are nicely cameo-ed. The Sunnywood coin is probably the only nice toner for the date that I know to exist. My example will probably get upgraded but it is a very deep and appealing 62. The reverse is quite clean.

1887-O MS62DMPL

1887/6-O is an absolutely brutal date. I suspect it would cost a lot more but for the fact that the overdate is extremely minor. It’s possible there are a lot of unattributed ones too. No PLs or DMPLs and I’ve never seen a nicely toned one. Of course, I don’t see many MS ones available at all. I love this coin, though. It has a great look and is very flashy and free from distraction.

1887/6-O MS63+ CAC

Please share some of your own 1886-87 Morgans!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 6:08PM

Amazing installment, once again!

Your 1886-S looks PL and the 1887 is stunning!!

Here are my humble examples. I only post them, b/c you encourage others to share. :smile:

These are 'only' 63s. I hand-picked them. I believe there are still good ones out there, so I cherry them, when I can. ;)

1886-S PCGS 63:

1887-S PCGS OGH 63. I like the toning (not for everyone):

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like when you show the slab photos side by side at the end of your posts. Helps me get a better feel for the coin. Once again, thanks for showing your collection.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Thanks all!

@Walkerfan, those are nice examples. I like the skin on that 87-S. It gives it a really original look. That’s actually one of three dates I don’t have!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again for continuing this post.
    Great coins.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group! I agree that the 87 overdates are tougher than the 79-S Rev of 78, which has exploded in price recently. My 87/6-O was a $35 raw cherrypick many years ago. PCGS 63 CAC now.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!!!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to create these posts, @david3142. I really look forward to them. It's one thing to post photos but an entirely different thing to include the history and market info.

Tim

• Options

@messydesk said:
    Nice group! I agree that the 87 overdates are tougher than the 79-S Rev of 78, which has exploded in price recently. My 87/6-O was a $35 raw cherrypick many years ago. PCGS 63 CAC now.

That’s quite a score! Also a very appealing coin.

And I’m glad you enjoy all that text @pointfivezero! I hope that it’s useful to Morgan collectors, knowing not just the pop numbers but how certain dates look and their real-life availability.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@messydesk said:

That’s quite a score! Also a very appealing coin.

And I’m glad you enjoy all that text @pointfivezero! I hope that it’s useful to Morgan collectors, knowing not just the pop numbers but how certain dates look and their real-life availability.

I had started putting this sort of information on the top of the VAMWorld pages for each date to help drive home the fact that not all dates and mints are created equal and give hints on how to buy and not to buy certain coins. I'm not done yet, though.

Both your and my 87/6-O are the early die stage, by the way. A radial die crack develops from the rim to the wheat kernels, and these, being later die state, tend not to show the 7/6 as well.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very sweet collection you have.

Charlie Brown approved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file