habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure looks reale to me

Welcome to the boards

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

For sure! Someone here certainly could do that..🤔

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

1, Posting a photo would definitely help.
    2, You should probably post this in the world coin forum, not the US forum. I think you'll have more luck there.

https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

@SiriusBlack said:
    1, Posting a photo would definitely help.
    2, You should probably post this in the world coin forum, not the US forum. I think you'll have more luck there.

I didn't even notice that until after i had made the post! New to the forum thing also..

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

And posting in the world & ancient coins forum would also help.

• Options

@jayPem said:
    For sure! Someone here certainly could do that..🤔

Thanks for the patience. This is a whole new side of the internet for me 🤣 photos posted.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're interested in learning about the different types of Reales, use the Google and type in Class 2 counterfeit real. Much to know. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the coin in question? Nice, with all the chops.

• Options

@JBK said:

Had no idea what "chops" even were until you just said it. When i say new i mean NEW. Thanks for the lesson today!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the images, it looks authentic although it appears to have been cleaned at some point and the scratches are a little distracting. The chop marks are consistent with how this coinage was used in commerce at the time. As far a value goes... I've been looking at 18th C 8 Reales pieces over the last year and the authenticated XF-AU pieces go for nearly $1k if they're straight graded. Problem pieces (like this) fetch $100 to $200 depending upon the issues... and the people bidding.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jay16910 said:

@JBK said:

Had no idea what "chops" even were until you just said it. When i say new i mean NEW. Thanks for the lesson today!

In the old days chop marks were considered damage. A lot of people like the historical connection these days, though.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some devilishly good fakes in the portrait 8 series, it takes some expertise not to get burned (TPG's get them wrong occasionally..)
    But if they are making counterfeits that look like this now...I'd be surprised.
    Almost certainly reale. 😅

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

How do i get my posts to go to that section of the forum? I don't have an option to post there.. and the posts i make go straight here. I don't see an option for that. But i can see the posts in the re!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jay16910 said:

@TurtleCat said:

How do i get my posts to go to that section of the forum? I don't have an option to post there.. and the posts i make go straight here. I don't see an option for that. But i can see the posts in the re!

You should be able to go to that forum and start a new discussion there. It should automatically select it as where the new discussion will land.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:

@Jay16910 said:

@TurtleCat said:

You should be able to go to that forum and start a new discussion there. It should automatically select it as where the new discussion will land.

Thanks! I tried that the last time and it ended up double posting into us coins. I'll have to try on the computer. Seems like mobile is extremely limited in spots

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging from the pictures, the coin appears authentic. I will say that experts on world coins could give you a more authoritative answer. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file