Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ranking coins by grade question

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2021 7:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm working on a website and census list for coins.

In these lists, coins are often ranked / sorted by grade from high to low (aside from lowballs which goes the other way).

The question is regarding problem coins.

Let's say we have a few coins:

• MS65
  • MS60
  • Unc Details
  • AU 55
  • AU Details
  • XF

Would you like to see the coins with the details coins at their grade level (as a "D" coin)? or at the bottom of everything?

Option 1: Interspersed

1. MS65
  2. MS60
  3. Unc Details
  4. AU 55
  5. AU Details
  6. XF

Option 2: At the bottom

1. MS65
  2. MS60
  3. AU 55
  4. XF
  5. Unc Details
  6. AU Details

Ranking coins by grade question

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put them all at the bottom

Details indicate damage of some sort, so, if categorizing, I would say put them at the bottom.... While I may consider some, it would be last resort. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some details coins could be better than their lowest details grade. Not seeing the actual coin in question, I would rank it lowest for the grade.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intersperse the details coins

Rank them by price?

I think it is easy to say put them at the bottom. Especially for those that don't even consider buying problem coins. Out of sight and out of the way. But if you are a budget collector looking for an AU version and looking at your options you might want to see the details coins right there along with the straight graded coins.

I do like the search options that have a check box to opt in or exclude the details grades in the search.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 10:27AM

When I'm shopping a coin, I, for the most part, know what grade range I can afford. If I know I can afford a AU58 or AU55 coin, I'm not going to just come across an UNC Details coin that will change my mind. If I were looking at a coin that I cant afford in a nice straight graded example, then I would know ahead of time that I will be considering details coins when I start my search. Normally I like details coins to be out of sight, with a selection to show them or hide them if I want. In response to this specific scenario, Id say put them at the bottom. Just my opinion, FWIW.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file