Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mass produced 1 oz US Mint commemoratives are bullion, so are the 5 oz hockey pucks...

If you collect this bullion because YOU value it more than the intrinsic value of the silver, then it becomes a numismatic piece (because they are coins that have been monetized).

and if you want to know more about the difference between BU matte finish, BU business strikes, and Proof coins, kindly study the differences between mint sets struck between 2005-2010 and earlier/later sets. Those have matte finish BU coins, PCGS grades them as SP (earlier slabs have MS but PCGS later wanted to differentiate these satin finish matte coins).

Comments

• CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

As evidenced by QDB in the Redbook

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being made from bullion and being (merely) bullion are often two very different things.

The same could be said of base metal coins. Just scrap metal or valuable collectable? Supply and demand determine the answer.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 2 versions of the 5 ounce silvers

One is sold as bullion like ASE in monster boxes. I believe their monster box color is blue.

Then there are the numismatic products that are sold via the mint web site. These are sold individually with a box, capsule and COA

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The large silver commemoratives weigh less than 1 ounce. They weight the same as the Morgan and Peace dollars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although a few years back the mint changed from 90% to 99.9 for the commemorative silver dollars.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would point out that modern silver commemoratives have a lower mintages than the classic counterparts but the classic counterparts have been in the doghouse for decades so that probably doesn’t matter

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

So often, the term 'bullion' is used as a derogatory term.... I do not consider it as such. Coins are coins and if made of precious metals (silver, gold, platinum etc.) they are special coins.... Of course, silver used to be pocket change (when I was a youngster), but still represented value.... And I value silver coins today... I really like the ASE's and any special issue or commemoratives. So, bullion coins - be they proofs or less, are still great in my opinion. Cheers, RickO

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The large silver commemoratives weigh less than 1 ounce. They weight the same as the Morgan and Peace dollars.

Those particular commems do. They are unique, however, and not the standard size of normal $1 silver commems.

@kiyote said:
    I would point out that modern silver commemoratives have a lower mintages than the classic counterparts but the classic counterparts have been in the doghouse for decades so that probably doesn’t matter

That's a bit selective. Most moderns have more than 20,000 minted and a number of classics are in the 10k to 20k range.

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is.

An 1833 $5 gold piece was minted as a bullion coin for commerce.

Morgan Silver dollars were minted as bullion for commerce.

But a Booker T. Washington half was minted strictly as a commemorative.

So, what....????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file