Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rolled State Quarters and Presidential Dollars

jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2021 3:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I saw a post a couple of weeks ago that reminded me about some rolls I purchased while in high school and college. My question, what is a typical grade of a never opened roll of coins?

I included some photos, which include 8 rolls of Presidential Dollars and 1 roll of Pennsylvania (D) quarters. I also had an unopened roll of Delaware (D) and at this point don't remember what happened but are still in great shape.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

The typical grade is low enough that they are worth face value.

The thing to do is to enjoy the hunt, open them up and see if you can find anything of value

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

👍thanks. I'll leave them rolled for now as I do not yet have the magic eye.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

My limited experience is most will be about MS64. When the Alaska quarters came out I got several rolls. I went through and sorted out the best looking. Then I went back and picked out the best of the best. I submitted the best two and I got a 66 and a 67 from it. The 66 is not worth the grade fees but the 67 was a score. Doing the same with presidential dollars I scored a Adams in 67, and that was looking through a lot of rolls. So you can find a worthwhile coin in the rolls but the majority will be spending money.

Appreciate your insight on this Batman!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to get anything above a 65.

Personally, I've dumped hundreds of rolls into Coinstars without even looking at them. I have enough time wastes. LOL.

Local dealer had a collection come in of state quarter rolls. He paid face, just to be nice. He sold me 4 Mint bags of delaware for double face which I sold on eBay. When he has time, he's probably going to dump the rest into a coinstar. They are a nuisance because they are in plastic rolls so they can't go to the bank rolled and it is a time suck to unseal them all and dump them into a bucket.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Personally, I've dumped hundreds of rolls into Coinstars without even looking at them. I have enough time wastes. LOL.

Local dealer had a collection come in of state quarter rolls. He paid face, just to be nice. He sold me 4 Mint bags of delaware for double face which I sold on eBay. When he has time, he's probably going to dump the rest into a coinstar. They are a nuisance because they are in plastic rolls so they can't go to the bank rolled and it is a time suck to unseal them all and dump them into a bucket.

Yep. I have 2 rolls of P and D for just about all the state issues. I thought I was clever putting them into tubes. That's the reason I still have them. Getting closer the saying the heck with it and dumping them at the credit union for the cash. But then, what do I do with 200 +/- quarter tubes :#

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yep. I have 2 rolls of P and D for just about all the state issues. I thought I was clever putting them into tubes. That's the reason I still have them. Getting closer the saying the heck with it and dumping them at the credit union for the cash. But then, what do I do with 200 +/- quarter tubes :#

Dump them at sea, with messages in each one saying how to contact you. Use them to chart ocean currents.
    Leave a state quarter in each one, to encourage coin collectors.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Batman23 .
    The vast majority will be 62-64+ with an occasional 65 or 66.
    Some dates are easier than others in 67, notably the 2004 coins for some reason and the 2002 Ohio and Tennessee if my memory is correct.

Thanks all! Very helpful 👌

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above inputs on grade and possibility of finding anything significant. That, however, is why many people roll hunt. So take your chances when you have time and see what turns up. Then spend the rest. Clears up some storage space. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been noted on the forum that tipping with them can be great fun 🙃

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    It’s been noted on the forum that tipping with them can be great fun 🙃

Not just with tipping. But also with spending. When you are trying to get rid of 500 MS64 dollar coins you need to do more than just tipping... unless you eat out a lot! I used them in place of the dollar bill when the mint had the program of no premium/free shipping in an effort to get them into circulation. Sometimes walk up and set a stack of five or more for an entire purchase. It was fun to see the different reactions as people looked at these new shiny dollar coins.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, I just got 30 rolls of bank wrapped rolls of Presidential dollars at a bank a few weeks ago. I had one roll of Lincolns. My dealer paid me $40 for the Lincoln roll. All the rest were common and I got face value for them. So if you have any Lincoln rolls you should get more then face value. The later pres. dollars are NIFC's and bring more premium.
    Also at the same bank I got about 28 bank wrapped rolls of state quarters - all with the state printed on the wrappers(collection dump). I got $11 per roll. I am happy with this. I made $28 just by moving coins from the bank to the coin shop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file