Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old news but I just can’t get myself to understand. Today is the big day.

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s been at this price for a long time. I have to believe the high bidder has come to his senses and is praying to the pumpkin gods someone will outbid him. https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1053958/Undated-PCGS-Holder-With-Cricket-Remains-From-the-Fred-Weinberg-Collection

Comments

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I've heard about that cricket. But it's nice to see it actually on auction, with only a few hours to go. I get to witness a piece of history!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 1:03PM

Not a big investment for the one or two dealers that are going after it. They will write it off as a business asset or marketing item, I'm sure that you will see this on somebody's website or as a feature item in a case at one of the large shows designed to be a conversation starter. Really no different than if you walk into a car dealership that has an old model A or some other eye catching car that the sales people use to get a potential customer to talk to them before the sales pitch.

Yes I think its a way over price gimmick but it does work with some folks.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

If a dealer buys it I would be ashamed to put it on my website. To me that dealer is a dumb ass and won’t get my money. I buy plenty retail. I know the guy needs to make a buck to feed his kids and pay the bills but he is over charging me if he has money to buy that crap. So if he thinks it’s some genius marketing stunt it backfires with me.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could explain the long duration of the auction. Will give the PCGS Board time to approve the purchase since it's a publicly owned company.

@PerryHall said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if PCGS is trying to buy this embarrassment back so it can be taken off the market and destroyed.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    That could explain the long duration of the auction. Will give the PCGS Board time to approve the purchase since it's a publicly owned company.

@PerryHall said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if PCGS is trying to buy this embarrassment back so it can be taken off the market and destroyed.

Wasn't it taken private last year?

You also wouldn't need board approval for such a purpose.

• Options

I want to congratulate all the losers on this lot. You are the winners.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always chuckled at this piece of whimsy.... I would not buy it, but it makes for humorous discussion. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do people care so much about what others want to collect?

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 10:12AM

The winning bid was the same high bidder since October 17th. It received no bids, in the last two weeks, and nobody sniped at the end. Although it's an insane amount for a slabbed insect; I thought that there would be more action in the closing/ending of this auction. :|

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Why do people care so much about what others want to collect?

Duh. It's what drives the market. :smiley:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it will be the centerpiece of someone's collection. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I'm sure it will be the centerpiece of someone's collection. :D

Probably will never see it on display on a seller's website. At least, I hope not.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a valuable dead cricket

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I bought it

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    Wow, that is a valuable dead cricket

>
    Jiminy Cricket that's a lot of money!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know about the rest of you but this whole thing bugs me!

Mark

• Options

@mark_dak said:
    Don't know about the rest of you but this whole thing bugs me!

Mark

Don't you hate when you tell a joke, and get nothing but crickets...?

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

The final hammer is a fun number (5250)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanterman–Petris–Short_Act#:~:text=derivative uses followed.-,5250 Hold,hospital) for another 14 days.

(5250 is a person held as a danger to himself and/or others.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file