Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Grandpa’s Mexico 8 Reale - Genuine?

My late grandfather was an archaeologist (Florida, Cuba) and left me a number of unlabeled coins he either dug up or traded at conventions (in the 1940s when professionals did that! 😱). I’m trying to figure out if this is a genuine silver cob coin or a fake. It looks like a Mexico City “shield type” and weighs 26.4 grams, but beyond that, I’m stumped. Any guesses?

https://imgur.com/gallery/qoDhR2l

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Sorry - I can’t figure out how to embed the images in the post!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@evefairbanks ... Welcome aboard.... You can drag and drop or copy and paste your pictures. I did look at the coin, but I am not qualified to determine authenticity.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

They appear to be genuine cobs but I have no idea as to their value. Someone here may be able to help. We also have a world coin forum here that's worth a try.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool first post... welcome to the forum!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me with evidence of sea salvage.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 7:23AM

Mexico City mint, looks sea salvaged. Looks early 1700’s based on the detail that’s left and the fleur de lis shield.

• Options

My membership was only approved now. Thanks all! Will try the world coin forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file