Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan's in SEGS holders

Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who has some? Besides me? How many?
I bought maybe 5 or 6 in the past. Digging through the archives of the board, I was thinking of submitting one or two for crossover, but one that really want to do might be bodybagged.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEGS is often seen in collections. Not uncommon. I've had a couple of dozen in the past 10 years. I don't remember one that would cross at the same grade. I'm sure I broke them all out as I felt the coins need to stand on their own and not rely on that plastic. Need happy buyers.
    I don't remember any that would bodybag either.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I have a 1898-O dmpl that is getting hazy. Could be a polish or something. If I do send it for grading, I'll try to get it through their conservation service. I still expect a bodybag or something like that.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures?
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the nuclear apocalypse, SEGS slabs will be some of the only things left. Very sturdy.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 9:27PM

Pics for the one I want to send will have to wait until daylight. Potato camera.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

My one and only SEGS holder. Very sturdy holder!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The holders themselves are excellent and the authentication has some value in this era of counterfeit Morgans. Unless the coins are going to gain considerable value by being in top tier slabs I'd just leave them as is.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cross them all to our hosts. SEGS is not one of the 4 TPG accepted by EBAY.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was allowed to pay a little tuition money on a one sided PL Morgan years ago when I was getting back in to coins. Slabbed as a PL, I had several Dealers inform me it was not graded properly. (one sided PL) I now treat a SEGS slabbed coin as raw, and make my own determination on the grade.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've cracked a few SEGS holders for coins to include in my Type set. No Morgan Dollars. The pieces didnt have any problems, they just seemed to be over graded. One Seated Liberty dime may have been dipped at some point but is retoning...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cranium_Basher73 said:
    Pics for the one I want to send will have to wait until daylight. Potato camera.

I wanna see a pic of the potato camera🥔

Mr_Spud

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a very nice 1882 Morgan in a SEGS MS65 holder. I got it into a PCGS MS65 holder with no problem. You just have to buy the coin.

thefinn
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

When i first started i was in love with the morgan's but realized I could not afford to collect them. I picked this one up in an auction way back then and now looking at the coin I think maybe its the 1896 VAM 4 Doubled Stars as it sure looks like to me the stars are doubled.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 10:43AM

Treat them as raw. They’re a little better than the self slabbers, but it is still a minefield. I have had a few select cherry picks that have done well at PCGS however.

• Options

Potato quality pics.

• Options

• Options

• Options

Last one. Skies clouded over at around 2pm. Got the pics done. Nothing too flashy with my pics. Just common dates.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 12:34PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@1tommy said:
    When i first started i was in love with the morgan's but realized I could not afford to collect them. I picked this one up in an auction way back then and now looking at the coin I think maybe its the 1896 VAM 4 Doubled Stars as it sure looks like to me the stars are doubled.

The pictured slab is SGS which is a different company from SEGS.

SGS is much worse than SEGS. They are a total joke.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really at am a loss as to why you would want to cross these...how does this make economic sense?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I'm not going to do them all. I might not do any. Whatever I may decide, the 98-O dmpl would be my top choice for conservation and crossover attempt.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cranium_Basher73 said:
    Last one. Skies clouded over at around 2pm. Got the pics done. Nothing too flashy with my pics. Just common dates.

with it stating "unlisted", there is a small chance it is a discovery coin. if you have a few to go out to VSS or you are REALLY good at shooting pups, you can post it over at VW and get advice what the next step is if it it not listed, unless that sort of thing doesn't tickle your fancy.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    SGS is much worse than SEGS. They are a total joke.

Were... thankfully gone as a company, except for the refuse left in the market.

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/crime/2015/03/19/abon-co-owner-gets-probation-must-repay/25019665/

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to see SEGS slabs at shows in the PNW... Never acquired any though... The coins were show priced and not worthy.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2021 4:19AM

The only SEGS slab that I have holds an Indian gold eagle in MS63 that is properly graded. I got it cheap a long time ago because it was in the "wrong" holder.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file