Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Looking for Culion leper colony coin, PCGS graded

About XF or so preferred.

Comments

• DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have one not graded. Its the only one I've ever seen.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

Can you post an image of what you are looking for?

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are not many out there that are already PCGS graded. I have a complete set of the 1920-1930 coins ranging from F-XF (see set linked below) and none were purchased as PCGS graded. Almost all were purchased raw and submitted for grading later. A few were bought as NGC/ANACS-graded and then crossed. If you don't trust buying raw, and let's face it, these coins are a real roll of the dice (because they tended to clean coins used by lepers with acid and wire brushes), you can be a little more confident buying NGC or ANACS and then crossing. The most common type I've seen graded already (mostly NGC) is the 1913 1/2 centavo. The 1913 issues were minted privately while the 1920-1930 issues were minted at the US-run Manila Mint. Good luck finding an example!

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    Can you post an image of what you are looking for?

Something like this:

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:
    There are not many out there that are already PCGS graded. I have a complete set of the 1920-1930 coins ranging from F-XF (see set linked below) and none were purchased as PCGS graded. Almost all were purchased raw and submitted for grading later. A few were bought as NGC/ANACS-graded and then crossed. If you don't trust buying raw, and let's face it, these coins are a real roll of the dice (because they tended to clean coins used by lepers with acid and wire brushes), you can be a little more confident buying NGC or ANACS and then crossing. The most common type I've seen graded already (mostly NGC) is the 1913 1/2 centavo. The 1913 issues were minted privately while the 1920-1930 issues were minted at the US-run Manila Mint. Good luck finding an example!

That’s a very nice collection of Culion coins, quite the accomplishment.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2022 12:32AM

Here's an AU piece from 1922 and the Manila Mint in a 6.0 Gen slab with a TrueView.