Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Differences between bullion and uncirculated American Eagle dollars

Other than the W mintmark, are there any differences between the bullion American Eagle $1 coins sold by coin dealers, and the uncirculated American Eagle $1 coins sold by the U.S. Mint?

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlittle said:
    Other than the W mintmark, are there any differences between the bullion American Eagle $1 coins sold by coin dealers, and the uncirculated American Eagle $1 coins sold by the U.S. Mint?

Or modern Silver Proof sets?

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The finish is also different.

Mint Explanation

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

The finish is not different - they do handle them a bit better. But no - the mint mark and the fancy box is the ONLY difference.

• Options

@MetroD said:

Mint Explanation

No it is not

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perceive collectibility versus bullion pricing.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The uncirculated eagles have a matte-like finish due to a special preparation of the blanks.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't make good soup. That's for sure.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    The finish is not different - they do handle them a bit better. But no - the mint mark and the fancy box is the ONLY difference.

Respectfully, this is not my understanding.

I already supplied the current Mint definition of uncirculated coins above. It specifically refers to the use of burnished blanks to create a matte finish.

Here is another source that describes the difference between current production bullion and uncirculated coins.

PCGS also specifically identifies the uncirculated coins introduced in 2006 as "burnished". For example:
    ~ 2021 T1 ASE (bullion/regular strike) 837645
    ~ 2021 T2 ASE (bullion/regular strike) 880924
    ~ 2021-W T2 ASE (uncirculated/burnished) 886558

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

Mint Explanation

The mint link answers your question.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Perceive collectibility versus bullion pricing.

And the Sunshine Mint in Idaho has the cheaper alternative priced slightly above spot ;)

https://www.jmbullion.com/1-oz-sunshine-walking-liberty-silver-round/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlittle ... Welcome aboard.... No real differences of significance as discussed above. I like the W mint mark, so often get them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 6:27AM

The roll edition is different from the burnished W mm ase. I am loosing my mind with people who can’t understand that there is a reality and no it’s not what they decide to dream about. Dang. Read the mints own words. They are a special finish. Ask pcgs or ngc why they label them differently from bullion. Happy Halloween. Nightmare on ase street. 😈 Welcome 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other difference not mentioned above is about $50 ;)

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Difference in wait time when buying

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't the fact that these are reported as two distinctly different mintages indicate there is indeed a difference?

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Che_Grapes said:

Respectfully, this is not my understanding.

I already supplied the current Mint definition of uncirculated coins above. It specifically refers to the use of burnished blanks to create a matte finish.

Here is another source that describes the difference between current production bullion and uncirculated coins.

PCGS also specifically identifies the uncirculated coins introduced in 2006 as "burnished". For example:
    ~ 2021 T1 ASE (bullion/regular strike) 837645
    ~ 2021 T2 ASE (bullion/regular strike) 880924
    ~ 2021-W T2 ASE (uncirculated/burnished) 886558

Thank you for the clarification - always appreciative of learning new things - no offense taken I am fine to be proven wrong - just ask my wife 😜.
    My point - I once owned a 2013 ASE W “uncirculated” eagle purchased from the mint and I also had tubes of 2013 ASEs I bought from a “monster box” via CNI in California (golddealer.com) one day I compared the coins ... the ONLY difference I could see with my 16X loupe was the mint mark - the surface quality and the luster was identical!! But maybe this has changed since then... they didn’t used to call them “burnished” - so nowadays it might be different. But in 2013 it was the same coin just minus the mint mark... but I could be wrong ... I’m told that happens from time to time

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2021 3:40PM

2013 roll edition and the 2013 burnished ase are different. One specifically sez collectors edition and has a mm. Why is this so hard to understand 🙃

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

It's only money - spend it now cause you can't take it with you when your expiration date pops up - :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Che_Grapes said:
    Thank you for the clarification - always appreciative of learning new things - no offense taken I am fine to be proven wrong - just ask my wife 😜.
    My point - I once owned a 2013 ASE W “uncirculated” eagle purchased from the mint and I also had tubes of 2013 ASEs I bought from a “monster box” via CNI in California (golddealer.com) one day I compared the coins ... the ONLY difference I could see with my 16X loupe was the mint mark - the surface quality and the luster was identical!! But maybe this has changed since then... they didn’t used to call them “burnished” - so nowadays it might be different. But in 2013 it was the same coin just minus the mint mark... but I could be wrong ... I’m told that happens from time to time

:)

The current generation of uncirculated collector AE coins started in 2006. Reference
    So, your 2013-W Unc. ASE, 518726, should have been struck on a burnished blank.

For the record, I am not an expert on finishes. As such, I have no idea how much of a visual impact the burnishing process is supposed to have on resultant 'shine/gloss', and how consistently this target can be maintained in production. All I know is that the Mint says that the uncirculated coins are struck on burnished blanks in order to produce a 'different/matte' finish.

I have an uncirculated AE currently at PCGS for grading. When it comes back, I will conduct a side-by-side comparison against its bullion counterpart. I am curious about what these old eyes will be able to detect.

Note - I recognize that this is not a statistically significant sample size. Further, the observations will not be 'quantified/measured'. It is just for me.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@Goldminers said:

It's only money - spend it now cause you can't take it with you when your expiration date pops up - :)

I must agree since a SP70 and a MS70 are already in my set. If you want to see the real differences between the two, the easiest way is to just buy them both and have a look ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file