Home Sports Talk
Options

Movies seldom mentioned in best movies

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2021 3:58PM in Sports Talk

I got to thinking about movies I haven’t seen in forever. There’s more than this but can you name movies you really liked but seldom are mentioned as your favorites or you’ve completely forgotten how much you liked them? I’ll start.

Things to do in Denver when you’re dead.
Christopher Walken, Andy Garcia, Christopher Lloyd

Sleepers
Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon, Jason Patric, Robert Di Niro
Billy Crudup, Ron Eldard, Dustin Hoffman, Minnie Driver

Man what a star studded cast. If you’ve never seen it, it’s on the must see list once.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dazed and Confused, it won't ever be mentioned in the top 1000 movies ever but the movie has a cult following and it was Matthew McConaugheys breakout flick. If you were a kid growing up in the 70's/early 80's you could likely relate to it. Also if you are a fan of classical vehicles this movie is chock full of them! Allright Allright Allright!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 4:14PM

I watched "The Unforgiven" the other night. That is a good flick! "The Thin Red Line" is scary real. Check it out. Best comedy ever, "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?".....hands down......Down To The River To Pray......and....NOT THE LIVESTOCK!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The Good Shepard”

A favorite of mine

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shawshank Redemption, I loved that movie.

• Options

Oh no, I asked my wife and she said Dirty Dancing starring Patrick Swayze, oh stop it, just stop it!

• Options

Diablo was a good movie, it stars Scott Eastwood, Clint Eastwood's son, and it has an insane plot twist.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Shawshank Redemption, I loved that movie.

Too popular for this thread. Everyone has watched and loved Shawshank. Stop being obtuse

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    Oh no, I asked my wife and she said Dirty Dancing starring Patrick Swayze, oh stop it, just stop it!

Wife watches it all the time. That’s your second gong. One more try and in the corner you go.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    Diablo was a good movie, it stars Scott Eastwood, Clint Eastwood's son, and it has an insane plot twist.

Saved by the bell. On my list to see.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Hydrant said:
    I watched "The Unforgiven" the other night. That is a good flick! "The Thin Red Line" is scary real. Check it out. Best comedy ever, "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?".....hands down......Down To The River To Pray......and....NOT THE LIVESTOCK!

Seen The Unforgiven many times. It’s Clints way after all the westerns and killing to add some humanity to taking a life. Powerful movie and a great cast.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

Wife watches it all the time. That’s your second gong. One more try and in the corner you go.

If she starts watching Saturday Night Fever, then you're in trouble!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

About once a month. 😔

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

About once a month. 😔

I'm sorry to hear that, stay strong.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you guys talking about 'The Unforgiven' or 'Unforgiven'. Two different movies. Unforgiven is the Eastwood movie.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 5:16PM

@LandrysFedora said:
    Dazed and Confused, it won't ever be mentioned in the top 1000 movies ever but the movie has a cult following and it was Matthew McConaugheys breakout flick. If you were a kid growing up in the 70's/early 80's you could likely relate to it. Also if you are a fan of classical vehicles this movie is chock full of them! Allright Allright Allright!

A young Milla Jovavich is my favorite cast member in this flick. :)

• Options

A movie I saw on TV a few months ago that I had never even heard of previously.
    'Hell or high water' with Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine. Worth watching!

Everyone have a great evening, I'm off to see what gambling tips Joe Buck has for us in tonight's world series game.

• Options

Boyz n the hood is a classic.

• Options

Colors is also a classic.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2021 5:54PM

You want a good science fiction slow burning thriller, watch Europa Report. Is there life on Jupiter's moon Europa, find out!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funniest thing -22 years ago, at the time I lived by myself, not even had a watchdog. Watched Blair Witch Project not knowing it was a fake movie and by the time it ended at night I was scared to death of every sound the house made - I think I loaded every gun I had and put myself into the corner of my bedroom so if anybody came down the hallway I'd have aim!
    As a kid I always spent time in the woods and at night it was creepy as hell so this just played me - LOL!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@doubledragon said:

Ice Cube just gave up 9 Mill - must be nice to be able to do that!

"Ice Cube Reportedly Pulls Out Of $9 Million Movie Deal After Refusing Vaccine"

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 7:18PM

I'm sorry, but all of you who haven't said ROAD HOUSE here can check in to the looney bin right proper now.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

Long Gone, baseball movie with William Peterson.

Amazing Grace and Chuck. Sports/political movie. I enjoyed Alex English in his role. Also has William Peterson by coincidence. Jamie Lee Curtiss too. Gregory Peck.

The Great Santini. Basketball movie with Robert Duvall and the main kid from Caddyshack.

All The Right Moves. High School Football movie with Tom Cruise. They did a great job casting actors portraying the working class high school students. Vinnie Salvucci.

The Replacements. Football movie. Keanu Reeves. Gene Hackman. I watch it any time it is on.

The Slugger's Wife. Baseball movie. The kid from Caddyshack again, chasing the home run record on the Atlanta Braves.

Finally, a hidden show that nobody has seen:
    A Step too slow. Not a movie, but a basketball episode with Judge Reinhold. He sings a catchy song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inBOuSLElEE

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pain don't hurt

• Options

Another one:

Coach from 1978. A woman faces sexism as she coaches boys basketball team. Jabberwocky is the code word for hypnosis of one of her players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXPGfOcNu80

• Options

Finally, Wildcats from 1986!

Goldie Hawn, a young Wesley Snipes, and Woody Harrelson. Football movie. Here is the trailer. If you watch the movie the credit scenes feature a rap song performance by the cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwlYHOK5-A

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

obscure Kevin Costner flick from 1990

solid cast -- Costner, Anthony Quinn, Madeleine Stowe (looking hot throughout), Miguel Ferrer, John Leguizamo, Sally Kirkland

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@doubledragon said:

Ice Cube just gave up 9 Mill - must be nice to be able to do that!

"Ice Cube Reportedly Pulls Out Of $9 Million Movie Deal After Refusing Vaccine"

$9 million is probably like $10 dollars to him, it sure must be nice!

• Options

Pretty good choices. I like to see how the incredible minds on this board work.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

The Bounty with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins is a good movie. It's about a harsh and strict sea captain and a crew that doesn't like him.

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Funniest thing -22 years ago, at the time I lived by myself, not even had a watchdog. Watched Blair Witch Project not knowing it was a fake movie and by the time it ended at night I was scared to death of every sound the house made - I think I loaded every gun I had and put myself into the corner of my bedroom so if anybody came down the hallway I'd have aim!
    As a kid I always spent time in the woods and at night it was creepy as hell so this just played me - LOL!!!

After watching that movie I carried a mop handle around for protection for a week!

• Options

Any Bogart film is a classic and doesn’t belong here but
    Mutiny on the Caine
    You like sea faring movies?
    In the heart of the Sea

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Splinter was a great horror movie.

• Options

There will be blood was a great movie about a man that becomes a rich oil baron, and by the end of the movie he becomes totally mad.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite film ever made is True Romance. Written by Quentin Tarantino, directed by Tony Scott and with a caper plot, this film may have assembled the most ‘on the cusp’ cast of all time. I think everyone with more than two lines went on to mega stardom.

Spectacular film with some really, really memorable scenes.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited October 31, 2021 3:02AM

Cast:
    Cast

Christian Slater
    Clarence Worley

Patricia Arquette
    Alabama Worley

Dennis Hopper
    Clifford Worley

Gary Oldman
    Drexl Spivey

Brad Pitt
    Floyd, Dick’s roommate

Christopher Walken
    Vincenzo Coccotti

Val Kilmer
    Mentor

Bronson Pinchot
    Elliot Blitzer

Michael Rapaport
    Dick Ritchie

Saul Rubinek
    Lee Donowitz

Chris Penn
    Nick Dimes

Tom Sizemore
    Cody Nicholson

More:
    Samuel L. Jackson
    Risa Bramon Garcia
    Conchata Ferrell
    Mary Louise Ravencroft
    James Gandolfini
    Kevin Corrigan
    Erik Allen Kramer

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like horror movies. Frailty and session 9 were two that I thought were great that never got a lot of press

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wrestler

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Cast:
    Cast

Christian Slater
    Clarence Worley

Patricia Arquette
    Alabama Worley

Dennis Hopper
    Clifford Worley

Gary Oldman
    Drexl Spivey

Brad Pitt
    Floyd, Dick’s roommate

Christopher Walken
    Vincenzo Coccotti

Val Kilmer
    Mentor

Bronson Pinchot
    Elliot Blitzer

Michael Rapaport
    Dick Ritchie

Saul Rubinek
    Lee Donowitz

Chris Penn
    Nick Dimes

Tom Sizemore
    Cody Nicholson

More:
    Samuel L. Jackson
    Risa Bramon Garcia
    Conchata Ferrell
    Mary Louise Ravencroft
    James Gandolfini
    Kevin Corrigan
    Erik Allen Kramer

Great dialogue by Dennis Hopper to Christopher Walken.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button https://g.co/kgs/bGRgFM

• Options

@2dueces said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Cast:
    Cast

Christian Slater
    Clarence Worley

Patricia Arquette
    Alabama Worley

Dennis Hopper
    Clifford Worley

Gary Oldman
    Drexl Spivey

Brad Pitt
    Floyd, Dick’s roommate

Christopher Walken
    Vincenzo Coccotti

Val Kilmer
    Mentor

Bronson Pinchot
    Elliot Blitzer

Michael Rapaport
    Dick Ritchie

Saul Rubinek
    Lee Donowitz

Chris Penn
    Nick Dimes

Tom Sizemore
    Cody Nicholson

More:
    Samuel L. Jackson
    Risa Bramon Garcia
    Conchata Ferrell
    Mary Louise Ravencroft
    James Gandolfini
    Kevin Corrigan
    Erik Allen Kramer

Great dialogue by Dennis Hopper to Christopher Walken.

And Drexel to Clarence…

“Sit down, boy. Grab ya’self a egg roll. We got everything from diddle eyed joe to damned if I know.”

• Options

For those that like scary movies, which I don't really but I used to have a VHS tape of the
    original zombie movie, "Night of the living dead". Considered a classic of the genre.
    And you can't beat the sheriff in this movie for being succinct and to the point.

Reporter- "Are they slow moving, Chief?"

Sheriff- "Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up".

• Options

@Darin said:
    For those that like scary movies, which I don't really but I used to have a VHS tape of the
    original zombie movie, "Night of the living dead". Considered a classic of the genre.
    And you can't beat the sheriff in this movie for being succinct and to the point.

Saw it at a midnight showing in 1971.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button https://g.co/kgs/bGRgFM

Forest Gump in reverse. Great movie. Cate is a treasure and we are lucky to have her.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

must have been a very shocking movie in the context of the times. a couple years before the exorcist and Texas Chainsaw were released in 73

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2021 4:50PM

@craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

@Darin said:

must have been a very shocking movie in the context of the times. a couple years before the exorcist and Texas Chainsaw were released in 73

We were doing some illegal things, ahem and the head at the top of the stairs scared the bejesus out of me. I was 15 at the time.
    There’s a documentary on Midnight Movies on one of the pay channels (HBO or one of those). If you have a chance, check out the history of the midnight show

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@streeter said:
    NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

I hated the end of that movie but otherwise very good

• Options

I'm pretty claustrophobic to the point I have a difficult time getting on an elevator and this movie really screwed with me....................... "The Descent"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYg7Z1KS_I

• Options

@Steven59
    I agree. I have no idea how anyone can go deep into caves, crawl through holes barely wide enough for their heads a d find it adventurous

W.C.Fields