Home U.S. Coin Forum

Out Of This World Mint Error Coins

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the US Mint started minting curved concave convex coins, I was wondering what type of errors could happen from this new process. I theorized that there could be clamshell issues and or reeding issues. I have not seen any clamshell errors from the curved coins. I did find a reeding issue tho. Struck thru reeding error coins are very sought after and to have one on a commemorative with cool design is a bonus.

Comments

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people see errors and some people see defects. While some errors are spectacular, some are distracting and speak of lower quality like laminations on Key dates. I don’t think coins like that are even comparable to off metal, multi strikes or even off center. But to each their own and I could see a debris collector looking for stuff like that

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 6:58PM

I thank you for your kind thoughts.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    Some people see errors and some people see defects. While some errors are spectacular, some are distracting and speak of lower quality like laminations on Key dates. I don’t think coins like that are even comparable to off metal, multi strikes or even off center. But to each their own and I could see a debris collector looking for stuff like that

I was thinking the same thing. If the Mint sent me this I would have been pissed at the quality and sent it back without thinking of the value.

I get the OP's point, but to me it's "damage" and not "interesting."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just more spam as usual imo.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does that happen? Is it just a little piece of reeded edge scrap that shaved off another coin and wound up on the planchet?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stman said:

What do you mean by spam? I don't think it means what you think it means.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

One error collectors major can also be viewed as a minor one by another.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@stman said:

What do you mean by spam? I don't think it means what you think it means.

He means it is for sale.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 7:44PM

@moursund said:

@stman said:

Sorry - once again - US Mint 2021 Quality Control! Eh?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat error. Gotta check the ones I have again.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2021 7:40PM

Nice! What an awesome error coin. Congratulations.
    Are you aware of a variety for that coin, as well? It's the dd. on the astronaut's left boot. A doubling near the toe? ;)
    Can't tell by your photo. :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thank you all for your wonderful comments.

I actually have 4 different error coins on this issue, In P, D, and S. In clad and in silver. In uncirculated and in proof.

Here is the clad proof struck thru error ......

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins ... Thanks for showing us those error coins... The struck through reeding is interesting... would not have thought of that.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file