Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1797 Rev of 1797 no stems S-133 Draped bust? Calling on all EAC collectors for thoughts.

Trying to get better pictures as we speak. Thanks.

Successful transactions with: Jinx86, Flcardtrader, Robkool, JWP.

Comments

• Options
    Coinslave87Coinslave87 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am leery of this piece. It might just be corroded surfaces that account for the roughness. It might also be because the piece was cast. It’s a tough call going only by the pictures.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks legit but I’m not a copper expert

• Options

@Walkerguy21D thoughts?

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

That level of porosity is not at all uncommon for DBLCs. It's an R.5 coin. Rare but not super rare. It looks authentic to me.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell. Certainly shares many attributes, but the date (from what I can tell?), seems off, as does the I and B in LIBERTY.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The corrosion is to a point where I'd pass on this piece. I've bought early copper pieces with a certain degree of minor porosity but this seems terminal to me. EAC seems to net-grade down by at least half if theres even minor corrosion... ie, a 40 details coin might be offered for vf money if theres significant corrosion. That coupled with the horizontal scratch marks... and Walkerguy21's assessment... and I'd look for a better example.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can check for evidence of a seam on the edge of the coin - that should be able to eliminate if the coin was cast. I'd highly doubt, if it was cast, someone would take the time to remove the seam from that coin.

Agree that many of the 1797 large cents encountered are rough, especially the later ones S-varieties. Most of the condition census pieces are listed as having porosity and other issues.

I'd look for a better example.
    I'm guessing the OP has cherried this coin, and is looking for affirmation of the variety....but I could be wrong.
    Regardless, there seems to be little demand for many of the early large cent varieties now, especially if they have problems. I had "cherried" two R5 varieties among the 1795/96 coins, both in considerably better condition that this piece. I couldn't even get offers from the EAC players on them. I wound up trading them towards a nice coin I needed for my middle date collection, for about what I paid for them (generic type). And the dealer that took them has had them listed on his site for about 5 months now.
    Still, it's neat to 'find' coins that few exist of!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Thanks everyone. This ones going in the trade pile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file